Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting Up a Businee (i think)

Options
  • 12-06-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering would anyone be able to give me some advice. I am hoping to set up a business kind of akin to a music school. Instead of having a dedicated own place I would be targeting primary schools, VEC's, Adult Education centre, community centres that would not have a dedicated music teacher or someone to provide music tuition. The classes I would offer would include music theory, guitar lessons, tin whistle lessons, recorder lessons, choral work, musical drama, songwriting sessions and music production. I would also able to provide private lessons in a pupils own home and to provide leaving cert and junior cert tuition in music. I have just finished my music degree in TCD, I have extensive experience of working with children along with garda Clearance and a certificate of Child Protection Awareness. Im also going to be pursuing a PG in Education later next year so this would be invaluable to me and would meet my strengths. My questions are how would I set up such a business and what would be required or would there be another way to set up this organisation.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Have you registered your business? Go to http://www.cro.ie/ and register as a sole trader - no need to go the company route.

Next you need to find out if you have a market. Talk to the local schools - your old primary and secondary schools would be a good start. Find out what they think of your services. Adapt to suit. What are you going to offer the schools in return for them letting you host your business on their premises? You'll need Public Liability insurance. Go to www.bizbroker.ie for a cheap quote. I pay E150 for E2.6million through them, cheapest you'll find in Ireland.

Have some nicely designed leaflets made up outlining your services to parents. A well designed leaflet looks professional - as opposed to putting it together yourself. Do you know any designers?

What are you going to charge? We pay E10 per 30 minutes for our daughter's piano lessons, I know people paying E20+

Good luck to you! :D

Advertisement