Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Box - recommend me one

Options
  • 12-06-2012 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a decent bike box? I have a soft bike bag at the moment but i do not want to risk using it with a carbon frame on the tt bike and the fact i am likely to be moving to a carbon frame on the roadie sometime soon.
    I will only be using the box once/twice a year so i am looking for something that will not break the bank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

bikebox alan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

mloc123 wrote: »
    bikebox alan

What was wrong with the old one you had? I see you sold it after less than a year

Nothing wrong with it, did the job but... I saw Bambaata's bba one last year and had to have one :D

My old one was like a game of Tetris, trying to slot everything on the right way*

*what she said

LOL....I hear you. I used one of them for Barca last year.

Is bba good for both TT and road bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have one too. Its the dogs

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I have one too. Its the dogs

does that mean that when you get one you have to leave your bike in it for 9 months after you get back?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

mloc123 wrote: »
    bikebox alan

€555!!!!!..no recession round here!

€555!!!!!..no recession round here!

Got mine for < 300 euro before they were popular :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

At those prices i think i will be asking around for a loan or see if i can get a second hand one:o

I don't know about the rest of ye, but for me learning how to pack the bike was as important as getting the box. Thankfully my LBS obliged and walked me through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I believe the cyclesuperstore used to rent them out, not sure if this is still the case do, might be cheaper than a purchase.

At those prices i think i will be asking around for a loan or see if i can get a second hand one:o

Drop me a mail, there is a guy that sells them for 350 and rents them also. I got his email from Bam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

and i think he could be a clubmate of yours JB ;-)

Bambaata wrote: »
    and i think he could be a clubmate of yours JB ;-)

Those Gnomes are an enterprising lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

BennyMul wrote: »
    I believe the cyclesuperstore used to rent them out, not sure if this is still the case do, might be cheaper than a purchase.

Nope, was asking about box rental there last week and they dont rent now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Planet X rent bikebox alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

Linda got me one of these I think it was about €200, works great for me. You'll fit your bike, tools, track pump, wheels, nutrition and wetsuit. Can't find a place selling them now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

Rented this one from Wheelworx for the weekend. While not essentially a hard case it still offered enough protection for the bike and also was able to fit a lot of gear in along with the track pump and helmet. Box looked like it got a bit of a thrashing coming home on Aer Lingus(no issues going out with Ryanair) but no damage to bike. Rental was €50 for 1 week

orig_Polaris-EVA-bike-pod_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dx22

If buying, Canyon have this one http://www.canyon.com/_en/shop/?category=Z07&item=30375

which seems to be the same as this one on wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/roof-box-bw-international-bike-box/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Linda got me one of these I think it was about €200, works great for me. You'll fit your bike, tools, track pump, wheels, nutrition and wetsuit. Can't find a place selling them now though!
    Thats the one i have...been to germany...france and the good old u s of a..and will be making its second trip to germany in a few weeks time...does the job

• Advertisement

calistro wrote: »
    Rented this one from Wheelworx for the weekend. While not essentially a hard case it still offered enough protection for the bike and also was able to fit a lot of gear in along with the track pump and helmet. Box looked like it got a bit of a thrashing coming home on Aer Lingus(no issues going out with Ryanair) but no damage to bike. Rental was €50 for 1 week

orig_Polaris-EVA-bike-pod_2.jpg

As you say its not a hardcase..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Got sorted for a loan thanks to a kind boardsie who shall be repaid in booze and food:)

Advertisement