Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a sterling Bank A/c be set up remotely??

Options
  • 12-06-2012 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Looking at George Lees program last night I'm tempted to transfer money from Euro to STG. Can a bank A/c in the Isle of man or mainland UK be set up without actually being there in person?

Cheers

Rich;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Why not go up north?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

richiek67 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Looking at George Lees program last night I'm tempted to transfer money from Euro to STG. Can a bank A/c in the Isle of man or mainland UK be set up without actually being there in person?

Cheers

Rich;)

Yes. For example, Nationwide UK Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Fungus wrote: »
    Yes. For example, Nationwide UK Isle of Man.

You'd normally need to be resident in the UK to open a bank account. However, the Isle of Man ones are 'off-shore' i.e. open to non-residents. HSBC are another option.

Irish banks do offer Sterling accounts as well. Most of them would be fairly familar with the idea, especially nearer to the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

I've found Ulster bank to be the most accommodating. A/C set up through my local branch fairly easily.

Transferring through something like currencyfair should be a cheaper way to convert your euros than directly transferring between euro & sterling accounts.

Edit: I wasn't very clear, I was referring to setting up an account in a Northern Ireland branch through a local branch in the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

I've found Ulster bank to be the most accommodating. A/C set up through my local branch fairly easily.

Transferring through something like currencyfair should be a cheaper way to convert your euros than directly transferring between euro & sterling accounts.

Edit: I wasn't very clear, I was referring to setting up an account in a Northern Ireland branch through a local branch in the south.

Nationwide UK Ireland have just launched sterling accounts in their Dublin branch:

http://www.nationwideuk.ie/savings/sterlingrates.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement