Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike Thefts in Dublin 18

• 12-06-2012 12:58pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭

For those of you who live or commute to Dublin 18, AON insurance have noted a significant increase in bike thefts in the areas.

Just a heads up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

2 vans with "ahem" some wandering people have been checking out estates in the general area. I spotted them in Shankhill cruising and scoping into gardens, I reported them. Three bikes disappeared the next week.

The cops know who is doing it. They just can't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

The cops know who is doing it. They just can't do anything about it.

That is the part that I have a problem with.

Lock them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

Those vans have been around greystones aswell, and yeah theres been quite a few breakins out here over the past few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

faceman wrote: »
    For those of you who live or commute to Dublin 18, AON insurance have noted a significant increase in bike thefts in the areas.

Just a heads up!

How do you know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

What make of van, colour etc? we can all keeps our eyes peeled then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 gone_fishing

Pataman wrote: »
    What make of van, colour etc? we can all keeps our eyes peeled then.

Red transit and a blue VW not sure on the years but ive seen them about a fair bit. Seen the red transit pull up at a job I was at and asked me could he take the off cuts of copper and that and asked the owner if he could take an old car battery . They could genuinly be just looking for scrap metals but maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Forewarned is forearmed and I would loved to be armed when they come calling :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

RosieJoe wrote: »
    How do you know this?

AON told me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

faceman wrote: »
    AON told me.

As they loaded your premium for leaving/commuting there

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Simon300

Those vans have been around greystones aswell, and yeah theres been quite a few breakins out here over the past few months.

I have seen the blue VW van in the bray area the last two days in a row so heads up for anyone in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Red and Grey transit around Shankhill and Killiney. I'm sure they have a few of them. Grey transit was in good nick, red was in bits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

P.C. wrote: »
    That is the part that I have a problem with.

Lock them up.

That would involve the gardai doing work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Another bike taken from balbriggan last night :mad::mad:

Black VFR 750....its not even funny the amount of bikes getting taken. Thats 11 in the last 2 weeks or so :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

It might be worth upgrading to fully comp or investing in that almax lock. My mates bike was stolen, it was almost comical how little interested the garda had in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,412 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No wonder complaints to the Garda Ombudsman are going through the roof :(

Scrap the cap!

TBH the **** going on in this country a bike taken (no matter how much will love them) will play 2nd fiddle to another murder due to drugs etc etc. :eek:

Not that its right, the gaurds can only do so much unless caught in the act. But they can at least try to be ****in serious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Does anybody know what way the bikes were kept when taken? Front garden or back garden? What kind of security devices were fitted etc? Just to get an idea of how far these guys are going to steal the bikes.

With some opportunistic thieves something as simple as an extra side lane gate could be enough to put them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Pedro K wrote: »
    Does anybody know what way the bikes were kept when taken? Front garden or back garden? What kind of security devices were fitted etc? Just to get an idea of how far these guys are going to steal the bikes.

With some opportunistic thieves something as simple as an extra side lane gate could be enough to put them off.

i would like to know the same.

but once they wanna the bike i believe there is not much that can stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Paparazzo wrote: »
    investing in that almax lock.

Highly recommended

The local ne'er do wells had a few goes at my bike but they couldn't defeat the chain

Out of sheer badness they still took off the cover and ripped my wiring though :mad:

Almax are excellent
    Expensive but worth it
    One chain for home and a lighter one for heading to town. They are seriously heavy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

I posted a warning on octane about same. Beware of clapped out corolla black with heavy set male/ female in front with 12 year old in rear ...... They came to my estate the other day and I knew they were sussing the place....... Their tail gunner was in a 92 D hiace with bull ars ....guys with a beard.

I have a big jeep and blocked the road as I took their regs. They knew I meant real business.... They scarppered out of estate...rang the Gardai .

These folk have NO fear of the law and use the revolving door system here.....it's up to us to keep a good eye out and let them know if you can that their mind frame may not be a good idea"........say no more guv!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Best way to stop them is identification.

Post their reg numbers, details, where they operate, live etc.

It's their anonymity that allows them to get away with this. If you see them, get their reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

Best way to stop them is identification.

Post their reg numbers, details, where they operate, live etc.

It's their anonymity that allows them to get away with this. If you see them, get their reg.

Its a good idea, but we might want to be careful re:boards.ie liability etc.
    So maybe just make, colour & 05-D-xxxxxx (you can pm the actual reg to people if they really want it)
    Just thinking like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

it appears to be mainly/totally bikes from apartment complexes

havent heard of sheds being done over or the like

2 males, Silver Transit around Meath 07-D-2661x (left out 1 digit ;)
    Well dodgy seen them around 3 or 4 times knocking on doors asking stupid ****in questions.

Be on the lookout...:eek:

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Well dodgy seen them around 3 or 4 times knocking on doors asking stupid ****in questions.

Maybe they want u to join Jesus "army" instead.. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Sure its a silver transit? I don't see a silver transit for any of 07-D-2661[0-9] :) Check the reg on motorcheck.ie , maybe it was a fake reg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Read over on ibf about a BMW1100 stolen from Clonee last night - it was locked and alarmed, so didn't move away on its own......

Suspicious van in the area....bike stolen.....co-incidence??

gipi wrote: »
    Read over on ibf about a BMW1100 stolen from Clonee last night - it was locked and alarmed, so didn't move away on its own......

Suspicious van in the area....bike stolen.....co-incidence??

http://www.irishbikerforum.com/forums/index.php/topic/93140-stolen-bike/

link to the pic.

it was in private parking area also... ;(

just upgraded my insurance yesterday - just in the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Lovely bike for a '98. Robbing B*stards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Stolen Beemer was recovered - joyridden and damaged.

Advertisement