Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**History 2012...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

We couldn't have asked for a better exam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

That was amazing :)

India
    Eucharistic Congress
    Coleraine and Apprentice Boys
    Anti-semitism and the holocaust

Think I got a decent B at least, and French went swimmingly today, great but tiring day today!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Diamondsandrose

Absolutely devastated. No nazi propoganda, no cosgrave firm foundations, no impact on home front, no american popular culture, no britain economy during inter war years, no treaty negotiations. Was only happy with india and coleraine, everything else was horrible. Worked so hard and deserve an A but only scraped a C. Lady luck just wasn't with me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Opened the paper and almost died of happiness!
    India was lovely
    Did the cultural revival
    Eucharist Congress

And....then I hadn't a clue about the Dictatorship and Democracy -.- Nothing that I had studied for came up. I ended up doing Hitler's foreign policy and used my knowledge of the Rally's to know what happened in what year. Though, according to my paper, Hitler invaded Yugoslavia...I have absolutely NO idea what I was thinking.

Hopefully with my project I can get that A2...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

I found myself missing out parts of Hitler's foreign policies like his invasion of the Rhineland. I couldn't fit it all in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

Just completely bottled it in the exam... Worked very, very hard for this subject but ended up writing like a 12 year old trying desperately to somehow link the rise of Sinn Fein to the effect the threat and actual physical violence...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Did anyone else not do the 40 marker on India?

I ran out of time and only just managed to finished my final essay on pursuit of sovergnity...

I was really really hoping for an A1/A2.... I know my project will get full marks so thats 100/100 but still I had to improvise two of my answers today so I wasn't able to do what many people were : Regurgitate A1/A2 essays....

maybe will get 430/500 but thats only 84 %

Devasted neither Michael Collins or Rise Of Sinn Fein came up.... had A1 essays learned off on them....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

Excellent paper. The questions couldn't have been better unless I wrote them myself. My essay writing was dire though. My hand and brain were getting progessively more tired as I went on. Hopefully the information I put down will get me the marks

Just completely bottled it in the exam... Worked very, very hard for this subject but ended up writing like a 12 year old trying desperately to somehow link the rise of Sinn Fein to the effect the threat and actual physical violence...

I'm sorry that question didn't work out for you, it worked out perfect for me.
    I just did this:

Intro=Home Rule=Easter Rising=Rise of Sinn Fein=War of independence=Anglo-Irish Treaty=Civil war=conclusion.

For sinn fein:

I just said how at the ard fheis in 1917, many members of the I.R.B/Gaelic League and participants of the rising joined the party and subsequently it turned from being a moderate party to being a hardline republican party

I then linked their new found ideals to The I.R.B's attempts to import guns, many members of SINN FEIN were arrested then.
    Then went on about how they went against conscription, became very popular, won 1918 general election and then when the first dail commenced, the War of Independence started on the same day due to the fact that the I.R.B and Sinn Fein were now linked hand in hand.

I personally found it easy but then I was relying on a general knowledge of the course and wasnt relying on essays to get me through these exams

Im sure you will be fine, you should get 85/100 due to the fact that not many people did it.

Dapics wrote: »
    I'm sorry that question didn't work out for you, it worked out perfect for me.
    I just did this:

Intro=Home Rule=Easter Rising=Rise of Sinn Fein=War of independence=Anglo-Irish Treaty=Civil war=conclusion.

For sinn fein:

I just said how at the ard fheis in 1917, many members of the I.R.B/Gaelic League and participants of the rising joined the party and subsequently it turned from being a moderate party to being a hardline republican party

I then linked their new found ideals to The I.R.B's attempts to import guns, many members of SINN FEIN were arrested then.
    Then went on about how they went against conscription, became very popular, won 1918 general election and then when the first dail commenced, the War of Independence started on the same day due to the fact that the I.R.B and Sinn Fein were now linked hand in hand.

I personally found it easy but then I was relying on a general knowledge of the course and wasnt relying on essays to get me through these exams

Im sure you will be fine, you should get 85/100 due to the fact that not many people did it.

Did you address the 'threat' part of the question? I only vaguely alluded to it in my tiny spiel on the War of Independence... So I guess it my cumulative will be marked out of 50 so, not that I'd ever have a chance of reaching that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

Absolutely devastated. No nazi propoganda, no cosgrave firm foundations, no impact on home front, no american popular culture, no britain economy during inter war years, no treaty negotiations. Was only happy with india and coleraine, everything else was horrible. Worked so hard and deserve an A but only scraped a C. Lady luck just wasn't with me :(

You are the only person I've come across who I can relate to. I worked harder in history than any other subject, definitely deserved an A. I'll be lucky to get a B. Dictatorship and democracy was the worst. :(

I'm going to be bitter and say it rewarded the chancers who learned predictions. May not be true but it makes me feel better anyway. **** you India and **** you Eucharistic Congress giving marks away

You are the only person I've come across who I can relate to. I worked harder in history than any other subject, definitely deserved an A. I'll be lucky to get a B. Dictatorship and democracy was the worst. :(

Seems like it was one of those exams where you did absolutely brilliant or completely messed up! There's not much in between. A lot of it was down to luck unfortunately.

Did you address the 'threat' part of the question? I only vaguely alluded to it in my tiny spiel on the War of Independence... So I guess it my cumulative will be marked out of 50 so, not that I'd ever have a chance of reaching that.

You dont have to hit exactly on the "Threat".

The examiner corrects your answer on the basis that whatever you write is in some way related to the question. So You didnt have to address the threat at all really as you should have been indirectly relating to it throughout the essay.

Thats the way this exam is marked.
    I feel that yours should go up. ALL of my year did the Apprentice Boys question and Eucharistic Congress. That means their answers will be marked very very hard.

Thats why sometimes its worth improvising on a essay you know hardly anyone will do as and it shows the examiner you have the knowledge and aren't just regurgitating an essay.
    An examiner is there to form an opinion of you. If you put in the work/have a good interest in history, your grade will reflect it,

Really unusual stuff, an angle/perspective the examiner has never seen is what gets you your A1... I for instance wrote how sinn feins success could be attributed to the efforts of fenians in America and the descendents of the Irish Diaspora such as the "Cuba Five" who having made their own attempts to gain independence indirectly gained independence through their funding of Sinn Feins election campaign in 1918... I also showcased to the examiner my keen interest and knowledge when I referenced Jerehmiah O Dononvan Rossa in My answer.

Dapics wrote: »
    You dont have to hit exactly on the "Threat".

The examiner corrects your answer on the basis that whatever you write is in some way related to the question. So You didnt have to address the threat at all really as you should have been indirectly relating to it throughout the essay.

Thats the way this exam is marked.
    I feel that yours should go up. ALL of my year did the Apprentice Boys question and Eucharistic Congress. That means their answers will be marked very very hard.

Thats why sometimes its worth improvising on a essay you know hardly anyone will do as and it shows the examiner you have the knowledge and aren't just regurgitating an essay.
    An examiner is there to form an opinion of you. If you put in the work/have a good interest in history, your grade will reflect it,

Really unusual stuff, an angle/perspective the examiner has never seen is what gets you your A1... I for instance wrote how sinn feins success could be attributed to the efforts of fenians in America and the descendents of the Irish Diaspora such as the "Cuba Five" who having made their own attempts to gain independence indirectly gained independence through their funding of Sinn Feins election campaign in 1918... I also showcased to the examiner my keen interest and knowledge when I referenced Jerehmiah O Dononvan Rossa in My answer.

Thats what they are looking for.

Would ya ever f uck off with your brilliance

I dunno man, it seems like you're ignoring an element of the question. And also I don't see how that Diaspora stuff is relevant at all the the Q...?

But I apologize I am just fuming after this exam x

Would ya ever f uck off with your brilliance

What?

I was just trying to help her out. The fact is that the exams this way were in some ways very easy and in others very hard.

I just gave my own Opinion, if you can't handle that, then I'm sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

India was a godsend, will prob be marked hard.

Ireland Topic 2: All i knew was Parnell and Cultural Nationalism.....both came up :D

Topic 3: Disappointed no treaty but Eucharistic Congress was ok.

D&D: Stalin is the man :) Was hopin for anglo/american popular culture but id take stalin any day, quite a broad question as well

Opened paper...... 3 of us in room all had a little mini chat "oh its India. yes the congress. gud man shtalin" Examiner didn't seem to mind :P

I dunno man, it seems like you're ignoring an element of the question. And also I don't see how that Diaspora stuff is relevant at all the the Q...?

But I apologize I am just fuming after this exam x

Its not really relevant, its just something I added in there to. and i will be honest, I only put it into the answer to hopefully get more marks in terms of my OE.

Unless what you wrote is not in any way linked to the question which is very unlikely due to the fact that nearly every event from 1912-1923 was marked with violence/threat of violence to some degree, you should do very well

Would his leadership style/personality eg. paranoia/relishing violence be a characteristic of Stalin's rule over Russia? Wasn't too sure, it was part of my show trials essay so i put it in. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BornForThisXX

That's the first exam that has actually gone my way! I honestly don't know how anybody can get a decent 4-5 pages on The Eucharistic Congress. I salute you people! I did Anglo-Irish relations, Stalin and Lynch/Lemass. :)

Would his leadership style/personality eg. paranoia/relishing violence be a characteristic of Stalin's rule over Russia? Wasn't too sure, it was part of my show trials essay so i put it in. .

Definately

Ultimately it is due to the composition of his being and the nature of his utilitarian mind that the show trials arose.
    His economic policies are an example of this. His approach to the economy centered around utility and maximising the resources of the Russian State.

Yes That would be applicable i do think in your case.

The exam really was the most predictable thing ever though. I had a funny feeling that exact Eucharistic Congress question would come up because the one about language and religion came up in 2006 and 2010 and the one on the paper today came up in 2008.

The paper will be marked very hard though since everyone seems to be happy with how it went.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

A dream of a paper. First exam I've actually been able to say that about. Knew India and Coleraine and its significance like a song. Was able to bull**** pretty well for the rest. Very happy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Everything went better than expected :)

Hitler's foreign policy was my dream question, and opening the paper to see that just calmed me down so much. I've done tonnes of similar Parnell essays so that was fine (though the cultural nationalism one would have been lovely too)...can't believe Eucharistic Congress actually came up though, I thought I was wasting my time studying it because it was so predictable. Think I'm the only one who did it though. As in, I didn't even think I was going to finish the paper this time yesterday

Okay I have two questions, hopefully someone can help me out because I'm really worried.

For Stalin, I wrote about industrialisation, collectivisation, man made famine, gulags, terror and propaganda. However I didn't know any of them in detail, I just knew the basic information. I think I might have got 4 pages. How do you think that would be marked? :/
    Also for Anglo Irish relations I didn't really know past 39 so I just wrote a paragraph on Ireland Being neutral in the war and England not being happy. Do you think I'll lose much marks for that? I had 11 other paragraphs.

By the way, can someone tell me what the main points for the India question were supposed to be? I had 8 a4 pages of notes on India but I couldn't find them before the exam so I didn't go over it.

I did 8 paragraphs per essay, with the last ones in each being quite wishy-washy. I hope that's enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Such a beautiful paper <3 India, Coleraine and EC. Would've preferred in Inter-War Years instead of Russia but hey, I'm not complaining! Wish I could've written more though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Okay I have two questions, hopefully someone can help me out because I'm really worried.

For Stalin, I wrote about industrialisation, collectivisation, man made famine, gulags, terror and propaganda. However I didn't know any of them in detail, I just knew the basic information. I think I might have got 4 pages. How do you think that would be marked? :/
    Also for Anglo Irish relations I didn't really know past 39 so I just wrote a paragraph on Ireland Being neutral in the war and England not being happy. Do you think I'll lose much marks for that? I had 11 other paragraphs.

For the Anglo-Irish one you'll be absolutely fine with that.

Advertisement