Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**History 2012...Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Am I the only one that always despised India as a case study?! I'd have loved a bitta Katanga, ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Darren.993 wrote: »
    I did 8 paragraphs per essay, with the last ones in each being quite wishy-washy. I hope that's enough.

I did 9-11 not great ones, but it all depends on how good they are.. I only need an average of 6 marks per paragraph to get full cumulative marks, you'd need 7/8 :) we were told to do 8 by our teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

Im wondering what people wrote for the question four on India?

I wrote about:
    -Churchill's imperialist beliefs
    -Fighting between Muslim and Hindus
    -How Britain went about leaving (Cyril Radcliife etc.)

Are these right?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hiyakeano

it's funny cause everyone seems to know around what mark they got but i don't have a clue :/ like i think i did really well but my teacher marks crazy hard, she even admitted it to us, it was like some sort of "subconscious way to push us" (which so didn't work btw) and she's the only person who's ever corrected any of my essays cause i do it through irish. I really feel i deserved an A but i have no clue where i stand :/ does anyone else feel like this?

I wrote about:

Are these right?

Yep, i think so.. i only really mentioned the British leaving in hurry, and the violence.. it wasn't a great essay :/
    hiyakeano wrote: »
    it's funny cause everyone seems to know around what mark they got but i don't have a clue :/ like i think i did really well but my teacher marks crazy hard, she even admitted it to us, it was like some sort of "subconscious way to push us" (which so didn't work btw) and she's the only person who's ever corrected any of my essays cause i do it through irish. I really feel i deserved an A but i have no clue where i stand :/ does anyone else feel like this?

Dont disect your exam to much, it'll only drive ye mad :/ we'll just have to wait til August :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

I did - Stalin
    - Coleraine/app boys
    - Eucharistic Congress

I would have loved France, although I hadn't studied any of the documents.

My essay on the Eucharistic Congress wasn't great, I thought it would have been too obvious so I just kinda left it,I was hoping for Treaty - Civil war.

Good paper, Last years paper was really difficult in parts and this one wasnt too bad, I heard teachers already saying that next years paper will be horrible so please god hope you dont have to repeat.

Also did anyone else think it was kind of funny that Heaney didnt come up on English paper 2 but he came up on History:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

MrQuack wrote: »
    Lads I need help? In the exam rushing for time I numbered my question wrong and didn't write the title just the topic and number of question.

i.e Ireland Topic 2
    q.1

Do you think they will realise that I have wrote a different essay :confused:

I just had to log in and try and reassure you, because I always panic about stuff like this after exams, and I'm just after finishing my last year of college. I'm going to be a history teacher, so was just checking in on how the exam went.

Anyway, I would think that the person correcting your exam will know by reading your answer, which question you intended on answering, despite the numbering. I'm sure mistakes in things such as numbering happen all the time, and they are well used to it! I hope you get the result you want!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Truebattle

That was such a nice history paper/ Got 2 and a half pages on the document essay. The Parnell essay was so nice. For anglo irish relations i went all the way up to costello and fine gael declaring a republic in 1949. The stalin essay was an awesome question.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

They're going to be fierce marking the EC questions, I'd say 70% of students did that one...

Duffman K wrote: »
    Good paper, Last years paper was really difficult in parts and this one wasnt too bad, I heard teachers already saying that next years paper will be horrible so please god hope you dont have to repeat.

Also did anyone else think it was kind of funny that Heaney didnt come up on English paper 2 but he came up on History:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Well if we do well we won't have to repeat history anyway :P

And yes... I was sickened and laughing at the same time :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Mista wrote: »
    I did 9-11 not great ones, but it all depends on how good they are.. I only need an average of 6 marks per paragraph to get full cumulative marks, you'd need 7/8 :) we were told to do 8 by our teacher.
    Ugh I knew I'd mess up somewhere. I doubt any of my paragraphs are worth 8. Hopefully I'll come close enough to 60. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Namlub wrote: »
    Am I the only one that always despised India as a case study?! I'd have loved a bitta Katanga, ah well.

Yeah actually! I don't despise India or anything, but I found Katanga really interesting. Strange to think I never have to study any of that stuff ever again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

114172_340.jpg

Me after opening paper

Darren.993 wrote: »
    Ugh I knew I'd mess up somewhere. I doubt any of my paragraphs are worth 8. Hopefully I'll come close enough to 60. :(

Ah don't be pessimistic, you don't need fantastic information for 8 :) And on other paragraphs you could have gotten more.. dont be so pessimistic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Megamoo

Worked so hard for history all year just lost my head in the exam hall !! crying myself to sleep tonight me thinks !! had A1 essays prepare on everything that came up but could only remember bits at a time !! zero for OE anyway !

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MrQuack

Guys I need some help? I rushed my final essay and was unsure what to choose so numbered the question and topic wrong. So basically wrote an essay under a completely different topic and title. Do you think the examiner will realise? :confused:

Guys I need some help? I rushed my final essay and was unsure what to choose so numbered the question and topic wrong. So basically wrote an essay under a completely different topic and title. Do you think the examiner will realise? :confused:

Not sure if you saw my reply to this on the page before, if not check it out!:) while I don't know for certain, I'd imagine it won't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 MrQuack

mstorres wrote: »
    Not sure if you saw my reply to this on the page before, if not check it out!:) while I don't know for certain, I'd imagine it won't be a problem.

Thank you so much for the reply! Didn't see your earlier message :) You have put me at ease now. I've been panicking all day about it. I hope all goes well with the teaching!

Thank you so much for the reply! Didn't see your earlier message :) You have put me at ease now. I've been panicking all day about it. I hope all goes well with the teaching!

No worries!:) I know what's it like to panic about such things after an exam, but you have to remember that the corrector has seen it all before. Thank you!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

I'm going to be bitter and say it rewarded the chancers who learned predictions. May not be true but it makes me feel better anyway. **** you India and **** you Eucharistic Congress giving marks away
    Well said. Us bitter cynics will just have to hope that the examiners mark everyone else hard for doing the easy, learned-off essays :D

I don't think my relationship with history is over at this stage, my teacher was good enough that he sparked my interest in it. Anyone have recommendations for a good Summer read? I think "Ireland Since the Famine" by FSL Lyons is one of the staples...anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Dapics wrote: »
    Did anyone else not do the 40 marker on India?

I ran out of time and only just managed to finished my final essay on pursuit of sovergnity...

I was really really hoping for an A1/A2.... I know my project will get full marks so thats 100/100 but still I had to improvise two of my answers today so I wasn't able to do what many people were : Regurgitate A1/A2 essays....

maybe will get 430/500 but thats only 84 %

Devasted neither Michael Collins or Rise Of Sinn Fein came up.... had A1 essays learned off on them....

:rolleyes:

but anyway....yeah My exam was Brilliant to say the least :cool: however I didnt really get enough time for the Inida Q ,I wrote down about 10 key points ....but ah sure what can ya do!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

HowAreWe wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

but anyway....yeah My exam was Brilliant to say the least :cool: however I didnt really get enough time for the Inida Q ,I wrote down about 10 key points ....but ah sure what can ya do!

Yes many people had learned off essays.... I did too.
    Despite my earlier reservations around it, I came to the conclusion that I really needed to do so.

Was a nice paper, I wish everyone the best

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Viken wrote: »
    Well said. Us bitter cynics will just have to hope that the examiners mark everyone else hard for doing the easy, learned-off essays :D

I don't think my relationship with history is over at this stage, my teacher was good enough that he sparked my interest in it. Anyone have recommendations for a good Summer read? I think "Ireland Since the Famine" by FSL Lyons is one of the staples...anything else?

Patrick O Brien - Aubrey - Maturin Series... Pure Brilliance

Also check out steven saylor if your into historical era set novels.

For War, Stephen Ambrose's novels are always a good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

Just wondering and now is a good time to ask, what did people choose as the topic for their RSR's?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

I wrote about:

Are these right?
    I'm not sure if they'll let you away with Churchill's beliefs, he wasn't very important in the timeframe of India ('45-'48) but the other two are grand.
    They're going to be fierce marking the EC questions, I'd say 70% of students did that one...
    Guy in my year told me the last time it came up, the average mark was 48/100. This is apparently due to loads of people answering it quite crappily e.g. 2 page answers.
    Just wondering and now is a good time to ask, what did people choose as the topic for their RSR's?

I was surprised I was allowed to do mine but "Bob Dylan's Influence on the US Civil Rights Movement". (giving away my identity to anyone in my class :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevo873

The impact of The resignation of Richard Nixon and the Watergate Scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

The planning and implementation of Operation Valkyrie. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

Delighted with the exam. I knew Parnell inside out but never expected a question solely about him. Anglo Irish relations was also a major focus the day before aswell as Stalin's russia (although I could have answered on the rise to war). Happy with the questions, although that doesn't mean I did well in any stretch of the imagination. I also refuse to learn essays by heart because, well, it bores me. Just try and remember stuff.

The Gestapo's role inNazi Germany was my rsr. Great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

only 4 pages for anglo-irish relations and a very pathetic 2 and a half for anti-semitism and the holocaust. I should have done the drift to war one but at 27 minutes past 4 i panicked and picked an essay I didn't know enough to write about. Balls. Pretty positive I've lost my course due to my geography paper anyway so it doesn't really matter. ARTS COME AT ME!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Megamoo

Does anyone on the percentage of As given out for history ?

Advertisement