Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**History 2012...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

Megamoo wrote: »
    Does anyone on the percentage of As given out for history ?

last year was 11.4%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Megamoo wrote: »
    Does anyone on the percentage of As given out for history ?

11-13.5% usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Megamoo

Thanks maybe their trying to encourage more people to do history and make the exam incredibly predicable on purpose! The Hitler foreign policy was predictable and well the Eucharistic congress was so obvious it was wasn't obvious

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

only 4 pages for anglo-irish relations and a very pathetic 2 and a half for anti-semitism and the holocaust. I should have done the drift to war one but at 27 minutes past 4 i panicked and picked an essay I didn't know enough to write about. Balls. Pretty positive I've lost my course due to my geography paper anyway so it doesn't really matter. ARTS COME AT ME!!

4 pages is plenty... shame you didn't look at the time, if you go over, wrap it up and start the next one :/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

Mista wrote: »
    4 pages is plenty... shame you didn't look at the time, if you go over, wrap it up and start the next one :/

I just got way too excited when I saw both India and O'neill, couldn't bbelieve my luck :p
    Sure look, I'm doing all honours so its easy enough collect points, higher level C3 60 points..grand job!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Viken

"The Role of Sean MacEoin in the War of Independence"
    [He was some IRA army General around Longford. I was a bit fed up with it by the end, not too interesting to be honest. I only chose the topic because it was local-ish. Wish I'd done something fun.]

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

I honestly don't know how anybody can get a decent 4-5 pages on The Eucharistic Congress.

easy....

INTRO= signifigance of the congress
    PAR1= CnaG persuding the vatican to hold it here and why
    PAR 2= 1932 elections, FF take over the glory
    PAR 3= decorating dublin
    PAR 4= pilgrims arriving
    PAR 5= cardinal lauri
    PAR 6= deValera's speeches
    PAR 7= mass in the phoenix park
    PAR 8= procession to o'connell street, john mccormack etc
    CONCLU= world saw ireland as an independant state, both irish and catholic

BOOM got six pages, was well happy this came up ;)

easy....

PAR 3= decorating dublin
    PAR 4= pilgrims arriving
    PAR 5= cardinal lauri

Thats a lot of information, but not all of it is relevant.. like all about what happened, you dont need 3-4 paragraphs on that, it doesn't explain its significance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah but you've got to make all that stuff significant, obviously saying 'De Valera made a speech, everyone had a great time' isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Grealish123

Not to mention catholics coming down from the north and only highlighting the differences as they were taunted when they returned

• Advertisement

Not to mention catholics coming down from the north and only highlighting the differences as they were taunted when they returned

They were physically attacked on the way down.. and then the NI PM denounced these action :)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

easy....

PAR 3= decorating dublin
    PAR 4= pilgrims arriving
    PAR 5= cardinal lauri

I wrote 3 and a half pages, but I feel like I would get the same grade, if not better than you because mine seems like it was answering the question all throughout the essay, yet was still divided into 6 or 7 paragraphs. I mean, the main argument is that it allowed Ireland for further partition in terms of culture, which was necessary for actual independence, and how does "decorating Dublin" have anything to do with that? I didn't even bring that up, seems so irrelevant. :)

Why are ye all still talking about this exam? ye're all living in the past.

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Why are ye all still talking about this exam? ye're all living in the past.

History is a way of life for us.

Bitch.

Nitsuj wrote: »
    History is a way of life for us.Bitch.

I'm actually sad that I'll never sit a History exam again :(

I'm actually sad that I'll never sit a History exam again :(
    Get a degree in History then!

or do what I'm doomed to do. Repeat.

Get a degree in History then!

or do what I'm doomed to do. Repeat.

No I want a job :pac:

Did anyone else say that the Congress allowed FF to come to power and give them huge popularity, which allowed DeV to gain more independence?

Mista wrote: »
    Did anyone else say that the Congress allowed FF to come to power and give them huge popularity, which allowed DeV to gain more independence?
    I wrote a short paragraph on it, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Omg for that exam I studied basically nothing and was thinking I'd fail, now I think I'll get a B coz everything I studied came up, I was delighted! :)

• Advertisement

I studied very little, and was very annoyed when I saw that it was basically a perfect exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevo873

What a fantastic exam, I'm actually thinking of doing a degree in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

I wrote 3 and a half pages, but I feel like I would get the same grade, if not better than you because mine seems like it was answering the question all throughout the essay, yet was still divided into 6 or 7 paragraphs. I mean, the main argument is that it allowed Ireland for further partition in terms of culture, which was necessary for actual independence, and how does "decorating Dublin" have anything to do with that? I didn't even bring that up, seems so irrelevant. :)

Well actually it does show the significance of the congress because the fact that almost everyone decorated their house despite the fact that they had little money shows how SIGNIFICANT the congress was to them to display their irish catholic identity

ald with regards to devaleras speeches i said how he spoke about the religious freedom catholics had under the free state and that this was in direct contrast to the religious persecutions and suffering their forefathers lived with under british rule and how therefore the congess was SIGNIFICANT in demonstrating the fact that a catholic identity was now fully acceptable in ireland

so yeah, it is relevant if you use your brain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

In fairness the stuff about the sun shining brightly and decoration is less important than stuff like De Valera's tri-lingual speech and the books are awful for not covering the important stuff, and thats probably why the average grades for essays on Culture, Religion and Science score so low.

I wrote about its significance in every paragraph but I forget what I did - something like Catholic identity and the changing of place names / teaching of Irish, a mention of 1932 piety's contrast with 2012, how it took 80 years for Ireland to get to host it again so it was very significant, events like devalera's speech and overflowing midnight masses and floodlights, I did mention decoration but its pretty unimportant, I'd say unless you had very specific details you'd get 1 or 2 marks for it...its a sentence or two. I also said it was significant because its happening caused the need for things like the Eucharistic Congress (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act and a quote from the Pope on never forgetting the "glory of the days of the 1932 Congress", entrenched partition, covered up FF's excommunications, breaking British rule by snubbing the governor general and enshrining the ban on divoce/contraception.

Oh, and that it was 1500 years after St Patrick came to Ireland and replica round towers were erected. That's the kind of "decoration" stuff I imagine would give a little difference to your essay, not "the slums were decorated", but like I said its not going to make a huge difference.

There's no need to tell Nitsuj to "use your brain", bit mean and uncalled for. Every essay is different and I'm sure we all did fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Omg for that exam I studied basically nothing and was thinking I'd fail, now I think I'll get a B coz everything I studied came up, I was delighted! :)
    As someone who studied History for 5 hours a day for a month and is facing a B, I bloody despise comments like these.

As someone who studied History for 5 hours a day for a month and is facing a B, I bloody despise comments like these.

5 hours a day? and you think you only got a B...

the exam was pretty straight forward, there was nothing tricky or too specific. Not having a dig, but really you probably did better than you think...

Honestly, there's no point getting bitter because other people were happier with the exam than you. Especially considering we won't have our results until August so no-one actually knows how they did...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

5 hours a day? and you think you only got a B...

the exam was pretty straight forward, there was nothing tricky or too specific. Not having a dig, but really you probably did better than you think...
    For D&D I learned the jarrow march, britain in the inter-war years, britain during the war, France during the war, weimar economy, nazi economy, nuremburg rallies, church-state relations, rise of fascism, mussolinis italy and show trials. I was just superbly unlucky that none of the 11 essays I learned came up.

Also to Namlub. I'm not bitter, I'm just saying it annoys me that people who didn't deserve to do as well as they did are rubbing it in the faces of those who didn't do as well as they deserved to. But well done for getting lucky. I'm happy that other people are happy with how it went.

"Well done for getting lucky"? Cry more.
    I wasn't one of the people claiming not to have worked for this, I did actually study. But if it makes you feel better to assume everyone who was happy with the exam "got lucky", work away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 tombnation

what a great paper was told a week before to leran an essay on sheehy-skeffington and tod was an excellent one too from yeats got it word for word so hopefully was a good 95 or 6 and the same with the eucharist congress,, the holocaust was also nice

Advertisement