Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking through the golf course

Options
  • 12-06-2012 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Does anyone know are you allowed to walk through the golf course from the gate on the killarney road to macroom square? l hate walking on the street/road because of the traffic noise, looking for a route that is nice and quiet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Almost sure you can walk through the course there on the pathways due to the fact thats its on the castle grounds or something along that line ,I have played on that lovely course before and have noticed people walking the pathways , nobody bothering each other ,golfer nor walker :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

chipsdave wrote: »
    Almost sure you can walk through the course there on the pathways due to the fact thats its on the castle grounds or something along that line ,I have played on that lovely course before and have noticed people walking the pathways , nobody bothering each other ,golfer nor walker :)

Have to disagree with you there, I play there quite a bit and I find walkers incredibly frustrating there, especially on the 10th and 12th. I'm not saying they'e not allowed to be there but its not fair on the people who pay money to play there.

Just my opinion by the way, don't shoot me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I'm not sure how true this is, but someone who has lived in the town all their lives told me that the original owners of the land that the golf course is built on signed the land over on the premise that the local people of Macroom would have the right to walk the land.

I know one of the greenkeepers on the golf course and he confirmed to me that people are allowed to walk both the perimiter and the path that goes straight up through the golf course. Obviously you can't go walking straight across the greens :D

There must be some belief in this as I know people who walk and jog the course most days (even with dogs) and they've never been stopped by anyone from the golf course. I've jogged it myself quite a few times and not one of the green keepers have taken any notice of me. And, from what I remember I've never seen any sign saying that it was private land or that trespassers would be prosecuted.

I'd say go for it. If you're unsure about it just call the golf course and ask them. If they try put you off I'd call the local authority and ask them about it.

Let us know how you get on :)

Also, the walk about by the Gearagh is lovely too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Miaireland

As far as I know you can walk there on the path. I am not sure if there is a way that you can get out on the Killarney Road. I know years ago you could but the last time I was there it was all locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 drakkardnoir

Have to disagree with you there, I play there quite a bit and I find walkers incredibly frustrating there, especially on the 10th and 12th. I'm not saying they'e not allowed to be there but its not fair on the people who pay money to play there.

Just my opinion by the way, don't shoot me!

Have seen u play macroom and your rubbish so no wonder the walkers distract u.

As regards the original question I am a member and people walk there all the time. Once you keep your awareness of golfers and not being in the way you will be fine. nice walk too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

A thought occured to me ..do the walkers look at the golfers and say to themselves " ah golf..a good walk spoiled " ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Have seen u play macroom and your rubbish so no wonder the walkers distract u.

Are you being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Won't swear to it but think half the golf course is in the town park, in theory u could walk anywhere... The other half is on ground owned by the club, they could make it members only... In practice most people stick to the paths and try not to get in each others way...... As I said could be way off , not a townie :)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement