Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No ios6 for ipad1

• 12-06-2012 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I'm SO disappointed.

Mine is not yet 2 years old and already it's being left in the dust.

This seems like a bad move on Apples part to me. Surely longevity will become a deciding factor when people buy a tablet in the future. I definitely would think anyone would be mad to buy the higher storage models when support might be dropped for your 600 euro investment within 2 years.They've essentially wiped resale value of iPad one too so moving up the chain to a newer model will be less of an option for some.

I had to share my pain! I wish I could say I'll never buy from them again...but I know I probably will. For the first time though I'm really willing the competition to come up with a credible alternative.I'll certainly stop encouraging Android lovers to come to the dark side .

/rant over...for now:o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

My first gen iPod Touch got the same treatment, you should always expect that with the first lineup from Apple. Same thing happens all the time with their stuff. They didn't do this to try make people buy a newer iPad, the first gen iPad simply can not run iOS 6

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I had to share my pain! I wish I could say I'll never buy from them again...but I know I probably will. For the first time though I'm really willing the competition to come up with a credible alternative.I'll certainly stop encouraging Android lovers to come to the dark side .
    Yeah because Android is so much better for getting the latest updates. How many Android users are currently running Ice Cream Sandwich again? 6-7 percent? Apple were joking about this at the keynote and they are right to do so - it is a joke! I'd be pissed off with the iPad 1 not getting iOS 6 as well, but there's no point threatening to switch to the competition because they are much worse.

Does the iPad 1 still do everything it did when you bought it? Yes and more thanks to iOS 4 and iOS 5. That's two major updates. Most Android users are stuck with Gingerbread or whatever was installed on the device when they got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't understand the problem here.

You buy computer technology but expect it to be future proof.

2 years is a long time in the IT world.

Although your iPad will not have iOS6 it will still work and is still a good device but just won't have the new features that we're all manging fine without now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

People always seem to worry about how updates will effect their resale value. Your piece of tech is old tech as soon as you buy it. Enjoy it and work it to the ground, don't buy to plan to sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Yeah because Android is so much better for getting the latest updates. How many Android users are currently running Ice Cream Sandwich again? 6-7 percent? Apple were joking about this at the keynote and they are right to do so - it is a joke! I'd be pissed off with the iPad 1 not getting iOS 6 as well, but there's no point threatening to switch to the competition because they are much worse.

Does the iPad 1 still do everything it did when you bought it? Yes and more thanks to iOS 4 and iOS 5. That's two major updates. Most Android users are stuck with Gingerbread or whatever was installed on the device when they got it.

Oh... I'm afraid I'm not going to switch more than likely. It'd be like going back to the stoneage at this stage. However I'm going to stop my evangelical waxing lyrical about the wonders of IOS devices because android certainly won't improve if its not supported by consumers... they'll just be consumers who are not be me. Am i being hypocritical, yes.

I think two years in which to begin rendering something obsolete is far too early myself. There should be at least a version of ios6 for ipad 1, some incremental improvement that will ensure greater app compatibility for at least future versions of the apps we use now rather than leaving it completely orphaned. This isn't ONLY development outpacing tech, it's also Apple looking out for the bottom line at the expense of loyal customers. I remember when ipod touch 2g and early iphone models were denied multitasking when other devices got it a few years ago. A jailbreak tweak allowed users to turn on apples own multitasking within the ios and it worked perfectly despite protests that it would not by Apple.
    As loyal customers we should be demanding a little more for our money, not just slavishly lining the pockets of Apple share holders by shelling out another 500 quid when they decide they'll entirely cast us a drift.

The Android update situation is ridiculous incidentally...that should see more demands from consumers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I agree with the OP. I really think the iPad 1 should of gotten the update. Or even a light version with certain features that it can't run removed. At least users were still getting something.
    One thing I can say for Apple is they're brilliant for offering older models support. But in this case no, they're not. I was talking on another thread and one of the posters said it could be because of limited RAM. But I'm sure if the 3GS can run it, the iPad can run a slimmed down version. I think the iPod (3rd gen) should of often the support too. The only logic I can think of is just the fact that Apple still sells the 3GS (and probably still will following the next gen iPhone in September) and that's why they're offering the update.

I've the new iPad so it doesn't effect me but still I'm sure it's a let down for other customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I've an ipad 1 and am dissapointed at the news BUT it is honestly slow enough now as it is at times without taking another hit with OS 6.

even basic simple typing of a web address can take seconds for the device to respond so I cant imagine what the new super 3d maps would do to my poor ipad 1!

ON the positive side, more and more websites are introducing HTML5, so even without updates it is getting more useful every day and is way more useful than when I bought the thing over a year ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭squonk

Oh... I'm afraid I'm not going to switch more than likely. It'd be like going back to the stoneage at this stage. However I'm going to stop my evangelical waxing lyrical about the wonders of IOS devices because android certainly won't improve if its not supported by consumers... they'll just be consumers who are not be me. Am i being hypocritical, yes.

I think two years in which to begin rendering something obsolete is far too early myself. There should be at least a version of ios6 for ipad 1, some incremental improvement that will ensure greater app compatibility for at least future versions of the apps we use now rather than leaving it completely orphaned. This isn't ONLY development outpacing tech, it's also Apple looking out for the bottom line at the expense of loyal customers. I remember when ipod touch 2g and early iphone models were denied multitasking when other devices got it a few years ago. A jailbreak tweak allowed users to turn on apples own multitasking within the ios and it worked perfectly despite protests that it would not by Apple.
    As loyal customers we should be demanding a little more for our money, not just slavishly lining the pockets of Apple share holders by shelling out another 500 quid when they decide they'll entirely cast us a drift.

The Android update situation is ridiculous incidentally...that should see more demands from consumers too.

I owned an iPhone 3G when it came out. Much like the iPad 1 yesterday, within 2 years it was out of support. You mention the multitasking, yes I jailbroke my phone and it did work but the phone just didn't have the overall spec to do all of the things that the newer OS demanded of it. Similarly the iPad 1 was one of those 'lets get something out there and see what happens' kind of devices. It took off and I think Apple learned lessons next time round for the version 2. By the time IOS 6 comes out you'll have had 2.5 years of happy ipad 1 service (assuming you bought it at launch). If you bought a cut price iPad last year after the 2 came out then you can't complain. Even so your iPad runs IOS5 which isn't bad at all. You will still get IOS 5 updates going forward as well, just not IOS6. Every company does this. The natural cycle for Apple is 2 years. I can see the iPad2 however getting 3 and possibly even 4 years of support now, like the 3GS, but that's because there's now a roadmap in place. I don't see it going further than that however. My aunt has my 3G these days. it still does the same job it did when I owned it. It lacks the bells and whistles of subsequent OS updates but it still does what it does quite well, if a little slowly, but that's because it's old now compared to newer, faster hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No worries, there will be Cydia apps to copy most of the ios6 features (I assume).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,487 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My first gen iPod Touch got the same treatment, you should always expect that with the first lineup from Apple. Same thing happens all the time with their stuff. They didn't do this to try make people buy a newer iPad, the first gen iPad simply can not run iOS 6

The original iPhone, the iPhone3G and the iPod Touch 2nd and 3rd generation models also got the 'same treatment' and won't be able to run iOS6. It's nothing to do with being on the 'first lineup' of anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

THe iPhone 3G can not even run IOS 5

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'd imagine the reason the iPad 1 isn't getting iOS 6 is mostly due to lack of RAM. The iPad 1 only has 256MB of RAM. Which is the same as the 3GS, but the iPad has a larger screen, so it uses more memory.

Also, even though the 3GS is getting iOS 6, it won't support most of the key features, and it will probably be dog slow. As already said, the iPad 1 doesn't even run iOS 5 too well. This is why I sold mine for an iPad 2 a while ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Apple are getting a lot of flac for now for not supporting turn by turn navigation on the iphone 4

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/apple/turn-by-turn-navigation-in-ios-6-wont-support-iphone-4-or-iphone-3gs/

Thats the second time they have taken a feature away from this model to shift the latest model. ( Siri was available and worked for the 4 , then removed and made a "feature" of the 4s)

Theres no excuses here about the hardware not being able to support it , it can , this is a blatant exercise in forced upgrades.

Also for all the noise they made about android fragmentation , this is exactly that , they now have multiple different versions of ios for multiple different devices. By anyones definition that is fragmentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

andy1249 wrote: »
    Thats the second time they have taken a feature away from this model to shift the latest model. ( Siri was available and worked for the 4 , then removed and made a "feature" of the 4s)

When have Apple ever tested or indicated they would offer Siri on the '4'? The basic Voice Control has always been on the '4' and earlier models and still is.

Siri wasn't even part of any of the iOS5 betas this time last year - the first advent of Siri was when the 4S was announced.

Fragmentation as it relates to Android really refers to the various different types of hardware running different versions of the OS and how that makes life difficult for third party app developers. Siri not being on the iPhone 4 has no impact on developers.

This tweet from a Temple Run developer sums up the problem of Android fragmentation pretty well:
    99.9% of support emails are complaining their device isn’t supported. We currently support 707 devices. Mindblowing.

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2012/03/30/the-shocking-toll-of-hardware-and-software-fragmentation-on-android-development/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

When have Apple ever tested or indicated they would offer Siri on the '4'? The basic Voice Control has always been on the '4' and earlier models and still is.

Siri wasn't even part of any of the iOS5 betas this time last year - the first advent of Siri was when the 4S was announced.

The Siri app was available for the 4 on the app store before the 4s was announced ,I know , I had it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/siri-app-removed-2011-10

It was pulled for the 4 before the 4s launch , and made an exclusive feature of the 4s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

You buy computer technology but expect it to be future proof.

Unless you buy anything running Android without nexus in it's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

looks like no ios6 update for my two year old Ipad.

Whats the story with that!

Another reason to despise Apple

Switch Android for your next tablet. They are much better for getting the latest software updates.... Oh wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

looks like no ios6 update for my two year old Ipad.

Whats the story with that!

Another reason to despise Apple
    Do you not find that its already damn bloody lethargic as it is?

I cant imagine how crippled it would be with an even more expansive Os

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

RE: Turn by turn. Google wouldn't allow it in the Maps app, only through the (dreadfully slow) maps.google.com and on Android devices. Which is a huge part of why Apple decided to build their own.

Also, vectors. Vectors vectors vectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

banquo wrote: »
    RE: Turn by turn. Google wouldn't allow it in the Maps app, only through the (dreadfully slow) maps.google.com and on Android devices. Which is a huge part of why Apple decided to build their own.

Also, vectors. Vectors vectors vectors.
    Google wouldn't allow it? That's not what happened. Apple built, maintained and updated the Maps App. They used the Google Maps API but Google had no control over the features on the app or updating it. They are working on their own Google Maps just like they did with the Youtubes app which will have all the features they want. Apple probably didn't add Google's turn by turn as they knew they would be getting rid of it and wanted their app to look like an improvement.

@iPad 1 owners
    Anyway two years in IT is a lifetime. You can't expect it to be updated forever. Stuff you can no longer buy is not usually updated. You could still purchase the 3GS before the announcement which is why that was updated with limited features.

@iPhone 4 owners
    yes you should really have got Turn by Turn but I'm sure you'll get it via Google's own app in the next few weeks which will be more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

Good god. What a first world problem rant!

- The iPad is over two years old. It still does everything it did when you bought it PLUS all the features of two major iOS upgrades.
    - Why would you evangelise a piece of technology??? You're setting yourself up for a fall there.
    - In 2012, an iPad 1 is certainly not obsolete. A Minitel is obsolete. Teletext is obsolete.

If there's some feature of iOS 6 that you can't live without, then maybe you consider buying a new iPad? Otherwise, quietly acknowledge the passing of time and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

curly.bert wrote: »
    Good god. What a first world problem rant!

- The iPad is over two years old. It still does everything it did when you bought it PLUS all the features of two major iOS upgrades.
    - Why would you evangelise a piece of technology??? You're setting yourself up for a fall there.
    - In 2012, an iPad 1 is certainly not obsolete. A Minitel is obsolete. Teletext is obsolete.

If there's some feature of iOS 6 that you can't live without, then maybe you consider buying a new iPad? Otherwise, quietly acknowledge the passing of time and move on.

What a ridiculous post.

Isn't everything on this forum a "first world problem" or consideration?
    Find me one that isn't.

Go and moralise somewhere more appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭curly.bert

curly.bert wrote: »

What a ridiculous post.

Isn't everything on this forum a "first world problem" or consideration?
    Find me one that isn't.

Go and moralise somewhere more appropriate.

No moralising needed. Coming onto Boards to have a moan isn't particularly productive.

I won't upset you further.

For the record, very few tablet devices out the have received major OS upgrades - do a quick google for "update android tablet jellybean" to see for yourself. To be fair to Apple, they're pretty good at pushing updates out to the masses.

Advertisement