Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Automated electric gates on sloped driveway

Options
  • 12-06-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi I have a sloped driveway ~26degree incline [1:5] up to house _see attached pic.
    I am looking to get the driveway completed in next few weeks and am looking at electric gates. Opening is ~4.5m pillar to pillar.
    Issue I have is the sloped driveway where if open out at pillars then cars/oil trucks etc would need to reverse for gates to open:(
    I am looking for best options and have researched on web with following options...
    1. Rising Hinges[very popular is US] allowing swing in of gates up a hill and look good if done correct. Issue is limited for auto openers to handle loads and experienced installers.
    2. Sliding gates_ ruled out due to my setup
    3. Create 'dummy' secondary pillars up the drive where standard gate openers etc could be used and gates open out[down] the driveway with a ''pocket'' for vehicles to park off road
    Appreciate peoples comments on above or other options as must lay cabling etc in next week with good idea of what I' plan on doing. At the end of it I want something that looks OK i.e not out of sorts and will last i.e wear &tear.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭sparcocars

bro' wrote: »
    Hi I have a sloped driveway ~26degree incline [1:5] up to house _see attached pic.
    I am looking to get the driveway completed in next few weeks and am looking at electric gates. Opening is ~4.5m pillar to pillar.
    Issue I have is the sloped driveway where if open out at pillars then cars/oil trucks etc would need to reverse for gates to open:(
    I am looking for best options and have researched on web with following options...
    1. Rising Hinges[very popular is US] allowing swing in of gates up a hill and look good if done correct. Issue is limited for auto openers to handle loads and experienced installers.
    2. Sliding gates_ ruled out due to my setup
    3. Create 'dummy' secondary pillars up the drive where standard gate openers etc could be used and gates open out[down] the driveway with a ''pocket'' for vehicles to park off road
    Appreciate peoples comments on above or other options as must lay cabling etc in next week with good idea of what I' plan on doing. At the end of it I want something that looks OK i.e not out of sorts and will last i.e wear &tear.
    cheers

What about a sliding gate that will just slide off to one side?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

ruled sliding gates out sparcocars since as per picture with no wall to slide gate behind. My assumption is that I would need to remove front hedging/ditch on one side and build another wall structure where sliding gate could move behind? Cost and aesthetics/planning approval?

Sliding would be the ideal as less wear and tear and easier setup but believe option 3 could be my only choice within reasonable budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Think sliding is your best option still
    Don't think you need to remove hedge
    Just check gates slide behind hedge
    No need for wall either,just 1 or 2 metal support posts
    I think your other options won't look great

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could always cut the bottom of the gate like this so that it will not hit the ground when it opens uphill:

double_gate_plan.gif

had another look at area for sliding gate option...challenging...
    pics show available area on either side and assume most suitable side is on left (looking up the drive). Sliding gate with one leaf of 4.5m is big:eek: and is tight fit into edge of site with section of wall to be removed etc. I do like the idea of slider but.......

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    You could always cut the bottom of the gate like this so that it will not hit the ground when it opens uphill:

double_gate_plan.gif

thanks 2011 for the graphic, it is an option considered... but would need >6'' I would say for ~2.2m leafs and may not look great and concerned with football/young kids still getting under large gap etc? If I could get away with 6 '' gap it would be ideal hence the reason for checking out riser gate option which has its own issues:(

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I was in the same quandry 10 years ago and eventually went for the swing out method haven't looked back since

here is a link to my gates

http://goo.gl/maps/nIKQ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

looking at your new pics i now think option 3 may be your best and cheapest bet
    2 new pillars about 3 mts back from existing ones
    make sure to fit 2 sets of photo cells to detect cars/trucks(one on new pillars and one just outside gate leaf opening point)

cram1971 wrote: »
    I was in the same quandry 10 years ago and eventually went for the swing out method haven't looked back since

here is a link to my gates

http://goo.gl/maps/nIKQ

Can't see gates on link cram' but assume you have enough area off road for swing out gate option?

meercat wrote: »
    make sure to fit 2 sets of photo cells to detect cars/trucks(one on new pillars and one just outside gate leaf opening point)

Am swaying towards this also meercat :) ( but stiil keeping open mind) as with sliding gate I would not have a lot of off road parking at entrance for say an oil/coal truck at turn in whereas with gate further up at as you say 3m from existing then safer off street parking with intercom located at first pillars ?

• Advertisement

Sorry here is a screen grab from google maps

I have just about enough room to pull in with a car

cram1971 wrote: »
    Sorry here is a screen grab from google maps

I have just about enough room to pull in with a car

Nice! You seem to have more available space for swing out (down the drive)

I wouldn't say much more the picture is a bit distorted. The biggest problem is when people call to the house and don't realize the gates swing out and block the sensor you can see the sensor on the left under the post box and on the right in a black post the gates swing to just behind an imaginary line between this. My back wheels are on the road while I wait from the gates to open.

meercat wrote: »

on the setup..., electrician says installed alot of automation systems and uses CAME- seems to be reputable brand but dont know if best brand for durability and operation?

assume underground opener is recommended as opposed to articulated?

Anybody got budget cost for full setup for repectable system [excluding gates. i.e just electrics/gate opener etc]

trying to ensure wee planned and if not able to do full setup now at least wiring etc is done for when get gates :o

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

bro' wrote: »
    on the setup..., electrician says installed alot of automation systems and uses CAME- seems to be reputable brand but dont know if best brand for durability and operation?

assume underground opener is recommended as opposed to articulated?

Anybody got budget cost for full setup for repectable system [excluding gates. i.e just electrics/gate opener etc]

trying to ensure wee planned and if not able to do full setup now at least wiring etc is done for when get gates :o

CAME is one of the best brands out there and shouldnt give you trouble if installed right.

Underground systems are usually the only option for outward opening gates as most over ground systems would have to be mounted on the outside in order to work and you dont want that.

There can also be a problem with underground systems on some sloped drives depending on how steep they are.

The lid of the box has to be perfectly level and as close to flush with the ground as possible.

So If you can picture that on a sloped driveway the edge of the box on the inside can be lower than ground level and the side of the box on the outside can look like its sticking up out of the ground a couple of inches.

They can work like this but you will find all the crap getting washed down the driveway with the rain will fill the boxes espacially on gravel drives.

If the slope isnt to bad you can keep the boxes slightly raised but remember to higher you have to go then bigger the gap will be under the gates when closed

As for price I would always give 2K +or- as a ball park for an underground system depending on the work involved,they are all different at the end of the day:)

Thanks paddymick , electrician is approved installer for CAME so should be ok on installation. .. Funny did search on forums and could not see much on Came brand?
    Will be putting in ACO drain channel across drive and will probably move it up to secondary pillars and this will allow for flat drive section at this area for level boxes? Also need to look at safety for open out gates as will be opening against walls and need to ensure no kids etc get trapped behind opening gates - guess just need sufficient sensors.
    Have searched CAME FROG AE openers ... Not cheap but seems all the extras add up cost quickly:(

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

If you go with CAME then you don't have to worry about trapping the kids between gate and wall. CAME are EN Compliant (only ones who are I think) so they monitor the torque and if the gate comes to a stop or meets resistance before they reach their fully open or fully closed position, they will retract.

Going for these myself, thats how I know that... My install including intercom, 2 swing operators, photocells, control box and gsm unit is coming in at 2.5k. Not the cheapest I could find, but sometimes the cheapest option is not the best!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Mike2006 wrote: »
    If you go with CAME then you don't have to worry about trapping the kids between gate and wall. CAME are EN Compliant (only ones who are I think) so they monitor the torque and if the gate comes to a stop or meets resistance before they reach their fully open or fully closed position, they will retract.

FAAC will do this and I am sure bft will do it as well.
    For sliding gates a bump strip is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mick_mac

Hi 'bro, can i ask how you got in choosing your gates ?. i am in west cork and have a similar issue, not sure wether to go sliding or swinging. we are on a gradient too (not sure of degree) and have the option i think of going either way. did you come up with any pro's and con's of each ?. any info appreciated.:)

Still work in progress... am going with 2 new pillars ~3 mtrs back from current. Then gates can open out [down] the slope with no worry about additional stress on uphill opening etc. Sliding just not viable in my situation and think this will work best for me with safer off street parking whilst waiting for gate to open.

Useful info to other people in similar situation is

https://www.gatedepot.com/help/pgs/uphill_hinge/

http://www.amazinggates.com/Gate_Layout_s/80.htm

Have the SWA cabling and cat5e laid to location already and founds made for CAME casing boxes which also got. Waiting on pillars to be built so can position casings/drainage etc and install ACO drainage channel before asphalt finish. Havent thought about actual gate design/type yet! but concentrating on fundementals first i.e power supply/network cable/casing installation /drainage -hopefully have not forgot something?:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement