Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple online store vs Apple resellers

• 12-06-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭

Are there any advantages to buying a MacBook online in the Apple store over going into a store like PC World or CompuB?

The prices will likely be the same.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

No fuss returns is the main reason.

I bought an iPad from Apple last Summer and it had a single dead pixel. I called them and they took it back and sent me a new one right away. Try that in PC World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I would always buy direct from Apple tbh, you can still walk into the stores and they will fix it (my experience anyway) and you can ring Apple and they collect and return it fixed with very little hassle (and no warranty bothers even without extra applecare on it)

The new aliminum build is having less issues now compared to the plasticbooks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

The other advantage with on-line purchase is much more choice. I was in PC-World the other day looking for some other things, and I overheard the sales people telling one guy that i7 MacBook Air's don't exist (not just that PC-World don't sell them, that they don't exist at all). I decided not to get involved, tempted as I was to correct them (i7 options do exist, just only as a build-to-order).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Resellers only sell the base models whereas online you can add to the spec

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

For pretty much any other company I would say buy in store but it is very hard to beat apple's after-sales service. Thumbs-up Apple.

I bought a MacBookPro off the apple website. It had a problem with the harddrive after a while and I was able to bring it to a registered apple centre and get it repaired there free of charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I'd like to set the record straight for those who do not know. All Apple resellers have access to BTO (Build to order) a Mac. forget about PCWorld and Expert, Reality is these are not Apple Resellers! Each reseller has a No fuss returns policy provided there is a problem with the product or you are within their returns policy! This is bog standard consumer law! Welcome to Europe! As for single dead pixel, ofocourse any retailer will return the product, no one should stand for this within any return policy! as for choice! remember you can order any machine you want from any apple reseller, forget about xpert, forget about pcworld these are not apple resellers, they are only box shifters, looking for a quick buck on the band wagon, fit the box they will sell.....

Ring apple. Support Apple, What is wrong with an apple reseller getting their cut? it's the same price, often times cheaper. Apple want you to buy direct, they want all your money, hey, they will gladly take it too. But Support Resellers, they show the product, they support the product, generally they are experts in what they do, this provides employment and expertise, You want experts, you want employment, support your reseller. Before Apple wipes them all out and sudden you realize, no one is there to support you. Read the forums. Apple Support is skin deep. these guys know nothing unless you pay €€€€€€€'s

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Greentree, what about out of warranty repairs under the Sale of Goods Act? Are Irish Apple resellers any good for this, or are do you have to have to threaten them with the Small Claims Court first?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I'd like to set the record straight for those who do not know. All Apple resellers have access to BTO (Build to order) a Mac. forget about PCWorld and Expert, Reality is these are not Apple Resellers! Each reseller has a No fuss returns policy provided there is a problem with the product or you are within their returns policy! This is bog standard consumer law! Welcome to Europe! As for single dead pixel, ofocourse any retailer will return the product, no one should stand for this within any return policy! as for choice! remember you can order any machine you want from any apple reseller, forget about xpert, forget about pcworld these are not apple resellers, they are only box shifters, looking for a quick buck on the band wagon, fit the box they will sell.....

Ring apple. Support Apple, What is wrong with an apple reseller getting their cut? it's the same price, often times cheaper. Apple want you to buy direct, they want all your money, hey, they will gladly take it too. But Support Resellers, they show the product, they support the product, generally they are experts in what they do, this provides employment and expertise, You want experts, you want employment, support your reseller. Before Apple wipes them all out and sudden you realize, no one is there to support you. Read the forums. Apple Support is skin deep. these guys know nothing unless you pay €€€€€€€'s

All computer manufacturers have a tolerance level for dead pixels - I'm not saying its right, but none of them will normally replace any machine with one dead pixel. Thats why I buy direct, because you have the 14 no-quibble return. I think you'll find its the retailers have skin deep CS, as soon as they have your money they lose interest.

Greentree, what about out of warranty repairs under the Sale of Goods Act? Are Irish Apple resellers any good for this, or are do you have to have to threaten them with the Small Claims Court first?

Is this not the law of the land? If so any retailer must comply! If they do not then that's what the courts are for. Don't stand for the intern answer, get it froma manager then the courts.

Dead pixels. Bs. A dead pixel is a dead pixel you have your return period to identify it, consumer law protects against any defect within 30 days provided a defect exists. Once a defect exists This is no longer return policy this is a right to a refund. After that you have your warranty. Repair, replace or refund it is at the retailers discretion to facilitate these in that order.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Is this not the law of the land? If so any retailer must comply! If they do not then that's what the courts are for. Don't stand for the intern answer, get it froma manager then the courts.

Dead pixels. Bs. A dead pixel is a dead pixel you have your return period to identify it, consumer law protects against any defect within 30 days provided a defect exists. Once a defect exists This is no longer return policy this is a right to a refund. After that you have your warranty. Repair, replace or refund it is at the retailers discretion to facilitate these in that order.

No offence, but you go on like someone who knows the theory, but haven't actually had to deal with it on a practical level. I haven't seen anywhere in law that sets out 30 days, so maybe you could link to that. Also it isn't in that order, you must be offered one of the 3 R's, but it has to be acceptable to the customer, so not at the retailers discretion either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

@Greentree_uk I agree with whiterebel above. You seem to have got hold of some half-arsed version of EU consumer law and UK consumer law and assume they apply in Ireland.

Consumer rights in Ireland are enshrined in http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1980/en/act/pub/0016/index.html and it exceeds the scope of protection of the corresponding EU legislation, thus we we not obliged to adopt the EU one.

If retailer policy expands the protections offered to a purchaser, well and good, but attempting to reduce a consumer's right via retailer policy(s) is illegal.

Your input is appreciated and I acknowledge that you appear to be typing on a mobile device, but do you think you could format your posts so they are a bit more readable and lay off the exclamation key. For me they are very irritating and tend to turn serious posts into Justin Bieber fan-club material. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Are there any advantages to buying a MacBook online in the Apple store over going into a store like PC World or CompuB?

The prices will likely be the same.

You are asking the wrong question.
    You should be asking are their advantages to NOT buying direct from Apple.
    Answer = No.
    If you want to buy from a physical store in Ireland drive to Apple store in Belfast.

Or......OR.....and here's just a wild out there kinda theory.......I could just buy direct from Apple and save myself the trouble

Honestly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

Actually PC World are Apple resellers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume Greentree was talking about premium resellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ancientoracle

I guess, only CompuB in Ireland are PAR as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Buddy of mine got an air off the apple online. Had an issues with the OS and he went though the phone support. Basically they said look we will fix it for you but you need to get it to us in Cork(were in Waterford). He said will you pay postage and they refused so he had to drive it down and collect in a few days later. Not the best support from apple in that instance. But if I were buying Id buy direct from apple. Same as if I had a phone issue I wouldnt let fonemenders near my phone it would go to apple every time

Doylers wrote: »
    Buddy of mine got an air off the apple online. Had an issues with the OS and he went though the phone support. Basically they said look we will fix it for you but you need to get it to us in Cork(were in Waterford). He said will you pay postage and they refused so he had to drive it down and collect in a few days later. Not the best support from apple in that instance. But if I were buying Id buy direct from apple. Same as if I had a phone issue I wouldnt let fonemenders near my phone it would go to apple every time

Sorry now, bought from Apple online, and they asked your friend to return it to Cork??? Where to as a matter of interest? I have never heard of anyone being asked to do this before, mainly because the Apple plant doesn't do repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

whiterebel wrote: »
    Sorry now, bought from Apple online, and they asked your friend to return it to Cork??? Where to as a matter of interest? I have never heard of anyone being asked to do this before, mainly because the Apple plant doesn't do repairs.

Wasnt a real repair just an OS re-install and sorting out the partitions. No idea where in Cork but I'll ask him when I see him.

Apple resellers All have access to order a BTO. Be it Typetec, Screenway, Stream Solutions, Compu b, Galmac & Mactivate are there any I've missed? PCWorlds, HMV, Expert probably do too but you'd need to get talking to someone knows who can do this - this may be a challenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Bought a macbook direct from Cork

Battery failed under the years warranty, seemed to be a common issue at the time

Rang them up, courier out the next day with a new battery and to take away the old one

Top class customer care
    Better then ringing some place in India with Dell!

I'm not sure an Apple reseller could give me that service so I'd buy direct in future

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »

Battery failed under the years warranty, seemed to be a common issue at the time

Rang them up, courier out the next day with a new battery and to take away the old one

Top class customer care

I'm not sure an Apple reseller could give me that service so I'd buy direct in future

Agreed this is fantastic apple direct customer service. Available to any apple customer regardless of where it was bought. This could not have been done by a service provider as they would have to test battery in your macine first before issuing a replacement. Most batteries are now internal so this is not a service you could avail of now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

but you'd need to get talking to someone knows who can do this - this may be a challenge.

Which is why it's better going to Apple directly. If its going to be a struggle, why not just take the easy option?

mikemac1 wrote: »

Top class customer care

Don't Apple use a huge call centre in Bangalore......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Possibly they do

I've dealt with Cork and then in the evening times I dealt with the Americans, I think it's Texas

Maybe India covers the very early morning

Advertisement