Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petrol Hedge Trimmer, are they any good?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi Folks, I'm thinking of spending a bit of money on a Petrol hedge cutter.
    I decided petrol as I imagine they are stronger for one thing, correct me if I'm wrong..Also, I'm tired of hand cutting the hedge. I used to have a battery operated cutter but its pretty useless, the battery only lasted 10 minuted, anyway, its broken now too so I binned it!

Any advise on a Petrol one would be good. Does anyone have one? How tough are they, will they keep going through the some of the hard bits without getting snarled...??

Thanks a lot:D

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

I bit the bullet just at Christmas and bought a Mitsubishi one, just happened to call to shop at the right time, had been looking at them for several months cicra €480- €450. The day I called in , i had €350 on me and the shop owner looked at me and said " Just have the one for you " Family members of a couple of old batchelars had bought them a brand new Mitsubishi petrol hedge trimmer but unfortunately the brother who was still in good health died before he even had a chance to use it. The family traded it back in and i got it for €350.

Have used it twicce so far, springtime and just recently to trim the sided back into shape. The hedge is almost 75 metres long, does it in a jiffy. Good investment.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I think they are a great job, especially if you have a lot of hedge to clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Thanks for that. I see ones for about the 220Euro mark, model name is Ryobi, 22.5cc engine. Would one like this do I wonder ??. I only have a hedge that's 20fy long, 7ft high. I just want to be able to do it in 15min or so.
    If I could burn this hedge down I would....:(

Cheers Guys

Rich

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I tend to find that petrol version of all garden tools are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 healyon

I got a nice tanaka one second hand last year and its great nice compact engine compared to the the old one i had, ive since purchased a tanka chainsaw and never had any trouble with either them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

healyon wrote: »
    I got a nice tanaka one second hand last year and its great nice compact engine compared to the the old one i had, ive since purchased a tanka chainsaw and never had any trouble with either them

It is very hard to beat a Tanaka for quality! We sell Stihl and husqvarna as well but I would choose the Tanaka over the bigger names for value for money and quality ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

Ryobi is made for woodies/homebase stores so I wouldnt recommend them (i have never use them). for about 400e you may get hitachi/tanaka hedge trimmer and he will last forever if you will use him 3 times a year for trimming your hedge.
    I am using hitachi tools every day and they are great, but i wish they have more power as stihl tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I have a Ryobi Battery drill. I have abused the hell out of it for years (working on sites). Still going strong. Maybe I just got lucky but I'd buy Ryobi again.

TheBody wrote: »
    I have a Ryobi Battery drill. I have abused the hell out of it for years (working on sites). Still going strong. Maybe I just got lucky but I'd buy Ryobi again.

We also have several Ryobi demolition hammers which we hire and have been hiring for years and they are a great hammer. However it is night and day the quality of their powertools and the quality of their petrol machines.

Hmmmm, Now I'm not sure if I should get the Ryobi petrol strimmer one thats sold in B&Q. I wonder would a chainsaw cut or be suitable for cutting Hedges? ( just a thought) some of them seem to be cheaper than the petrol hedge strimmer.

Anybody know of a good hardware that's close to kildare dublin ( lucan celbridge area) that might sell the good makes you people are talking about. I'd go a far as 300euro if I had too.

Cheers for all the replies

Rich

We also have several Ryobi demolition hammers which we hire and have been hiring for years and they are a great hammer. However it is night and day the quality of their powertools and the quality of their petrol machines.

• Advertisement

richiek67 wrote: »
    Hmmmm, Now I'm not sure if I should get the Ryobi petrol strimmer one thats sold in B&Q. I wonder would a chainsaw cut or be suitable for cutting Hedges? ( just a thought) some of them seem to be cheaper than the petrol hedge strimmer.

Anybody know of a good hardware that's close to kildare dublin ( lucan celbridge area) that might sell the good makes you people are talking about. I'd go a far as 300euro if I had too.

Cheers for all the replies

Rich

I would say don't buy from any large store such as that. You are far better off spending an extra couple of quid for a good machine that you know will last and you can get parts for if required.

Any of the brands mentioned above are decent, all with parts readily available and sold in most lawnmower shops. 300euro should get you something decent.

I would say don't buy from any large store such as that. You are far better off spending an extra couple of quid for a good machine that you know will last and you can get parts for if required.

Any of the brands mentioned above are decent, all with parts readily available and sold in most lawnmower shops. 300euro should get you something decent.

Thanks Celtic, I think I'll take yr advice and go a bit more on it. I was dubious about getting it in one of these big stores....!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sido

You just would not believe how good a petrol hedge trimmer is. Mine is some weird Italian brand. Recently Husquvarna had a one day sale of them though.
    Consider McCulloch as a cheap alternative. As they are wholly owned by Husquvarna it's just like the products sell for less. A bit like VW and Skoda in cars if you will.

Well, I got one eventually from my local Hire place here in Celbridge. And by Jesus does it cut that hedge. Its a 'Warrior 2' its called. They hire these out too and never seem to have a problem. It certainly did the job, well, after a wait for the crummy rain to go!! Certainly worth the money at 240euro. I thought that was pretty good.
    Thanks all for the advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sido

Congratulations - Now you can be a real Hedge Warrior- If it gets to tall on you or you need to whack the top off - Every now and again they sell a scaffolding platform in Aldi made with 2 Aluminium ladders and a good wide board - It stands at about 3 and a half foot high and makes a good shed bench when not in use they cost around 90 Euros and are as light as a feather.

Advertisement