Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

faulty goods

Options
  • 12-06-2012 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

just wondering what the best course of action is here.
    i bought a camera memory card from an online site (but based in celbridge) about two weeks ago, who, genuinely seem like a great company. yesterday morning, while putting it in a card reader, the card snapped in two. i wasn't handling it roughly or doing anything beyond what I'd expect a piece of plastic to cope with. Mailed the company, looking for store credit as I need a memory card, but would prefer buy a more expensive one which wont break again. They're refusing entirely. Thoughts?

IzD8T.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Unless you can show that it was defective on receiving it, then physical damage like that will never be covered by the retailer or warranties. I don't think you've a leg to stand on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Assuming there was a manufacturing defect then you have the right to a refund, repair or replacement. The problem is going to be proving that it was a defect rather than mistreatment after sale. If they're already saying it wasn't defective then other than convincing them it was you two choices: Small Claims Court where the judge will make the decision (no guarantee that they'll find in your favour, the card is snapped after all), or do a chargeback on the credit card and post them back the broken card. I would take the second option. Theoretically they could pursue you but in reality the most they'll likely do is try to charge your card again (this could lead to you having to get a new card).

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

depressing. dont think I'll go down the chargeback route, seems vaguely illegal. I also dont want to be chased for money for the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

they just mailed and offered to refund half of cost, as a gesture.
    gonna go with it, better than nothing!

Advertisement