Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to unlock my old 3 phone

Options
  • 12-06-2012 3:18pm

Over a year ago I made the choice to switch from 3 to O2 (because 3 is annoying) but, I don't know if it was my fault for being ignorant of how phones really work or that the guy at O2 was trying to con me into buying a new phone, as soon as I put the new O2 simcard in my phone it locked (and all this happened in the middle of town and I ended up having to use a payphone to make some calls...).

So first I went to O2 and they were all- Hey, sorry that's not our problem you should go talk to 3. And 3 was all- Hey you switched to O2...:mad:

After a little back and fourth they said I'd need to pay 40 odd € and I just stopped giving a crap and bought a new phone from O2.

I put my old phone away and forgot about it until my mum lost hers and and I offered up my old one. I went back to 3 to see if the situation had changed and they said to phone up and give my IMI (?) code that's on the back of the phone and it'll be cool. So I called and gave the number and after listening to some holding music they said that you need a minimum top up amount to cover (130e) and that I had, in fact, never topped up my phone which is ridiculous since I had had that phone for over two years.

Is there any way of unlocking the phone without stress and that costs little or no money?? (I could've just asked this question by itself but I think everyone likes a bitta context)

Suggestions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What phone is it?

The number on the back is the IMEI number that identifies the phone. Don't post it online.

Different networks have different rules before they unlock the phone, bu you can just go and get it unlocked yourself in an 'unlock shop' for a small fee usually cheaper than it would cost you in admin fees or require topup balances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

i take it you were a prepay customer on 3. If you have a 3 sim thats used more than €130 in call credit they will unlock it [free]. Just use a sim that you know has been well used for a good few years {anybodys}.
    I did that with vodafone and got it unlocked by them for free no problems, they might've asked what the last 3 calls were or top ups. :p

Advertisement