Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baking with 2 year old??

Options
  • 12-06-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,

Can anyone tell me when you can start baking with your child?
    I have a 2 year old and thought it would be nice to have her help me to bake, however I am not sure if she is to young?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Any age is grand, as long as you supervise everything.
    Kids love making food so it's a good idea to involve her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

earlier the better
    I'd start off with something with a quick cook time, you don't want them waiting for a few hours to see the results of their hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

My son does baking once a week in the Creche since he joined the toddler room at 2yrs. We get a little sample home in his bag every week - they've done rice krispy buns, queen cakes, choc biscuit cake, biscuits cut into various shapes, flapjacks!

I haven't gotten around to have him 'help' me at home yet, one of these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ariana` wrote: »
    My son does baking once a week in the Creche since he joined the toddler room at 2yrs. We get a little sample home in his bag every week - they've done rice krispy buns, queen cakes, choc biscuit cake, biscuits cut into various shapes, flapjacks!

I haven't gotten around to have him 'help' me at home yet, one of these days.

ariana could you please read the charter, specifically the part about text speak. Abbreviations are not permitted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I'd say crack away with the baking, I don't think 2 is too early at all....I get the betty crocker ones....I know its so lazy, but it's just throw it all in a bowl stir and pop in the oven. He loves it. When he used to have naps, I used to try and time it around them, put them in the oven, send him for a nap, by the time he wakes up they should be cooked and cooled!

We made his dad's birthday cake a few weeks ago....I blamed the messy icing on the boy (it was really me :o) and he sprinkled a load of hundreds and thousands all over the top. It looked horrendous, but we were both chuffed with ourselves :D

There was a thread on here about making your own play dough, I'm just about to hunt that out and we're going to make fridge magnets for father's day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I have been baking with my girl since about 13 months, she is 18 months now. She loves helping to stir, pour, hold things, put out cupcake cases, carry utensils etc. Just watch out around any raw egg or other potentially harmful stuff! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh it's great fun at that age. Especially using shapes to cut pastry and things.

Be very careful with the oven and hob though. I have a neighbour who was baking with her 2 year old nephew... he was standing on a chair by the oven and put his hand down on a hot ceramic hob a few weeks ago. He has second degree burns. Blistered some skin off his palm, lots of pain, looks very sore still. One of my cousins has a mark across her arm from baking as a child... she rubbed her arm against the metal shelf in an oven as the biscuits were going in.

Advertisement