Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SP silage - price per acre?

• 12-06-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of price/acre are contractors charging this year for self propelled pit silage? Please include your area or at least county.

I'm trying to compare price of pit vs. bales

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

120 euro an acre, west limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

120 an acrea also in North Kerry, heard also of one or two cheaper/dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭dasheriff

warfie35 wrote: »
    120 euro an acre, west limerick
    Lad they are abit dearer where i am, up on 130 plus,any chance you could pm me who is that price i could be changing:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

85€ in north galway if paid on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we did our own silage for years, alls fine and dandy when all goes ok otherwise its a nightmare... would take us about 5 days to do 120 acres. Contractor started coming 8 years ago tbh i would never ever go back to doing our own. They mowed 90 acres on monday and picked the 90 acres up yesterday- very heavy crop- they finsihed at 12.15 am and where back here at 7.15 am this morning to cover the pit. When we where doing ot ourselves something would suffer, we also had to milk and herd and by the time the cut was done we where exhausted:cool: also we dont get the weather here like we used to years ago , very hard to get a full week of good weather, sorry just after realising i put this in the wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

red bull wrote: »
    85€ in north galway if paid on the day

Is the B from Castleblakney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

whelan1 wrote: »
    we did our own silage for years, alls fine and dandy when all goes ok otherwise its a nightmare... would take us about 5 days to do 120 acres. Contractor started coming 8 years ago tbh i would never ever go back to doing our own. They mowed 90 acres on monday and picked the 90 acres up yesterday- very heavy crop- they finsihed at 12.15 am and where back here at 7.15 am this morning to cover the pit. When we where doing ot ourselves something would suffer, we also had to milk and herd and by the time the cut was done we where exhausted:cool: also we dont get the weather here like we used to years ago , very hard to get a full week of good weather, sorry just after realising i put this in the wrong thread

Do all contractors cover the pit as part of the deal?

We had silage years ago, and all the contractors did was bring in the silage, that was it. As soon as last load was in (and maybe they had the grub, depending on the time of day) they were gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

We had silage years ago, and all the contractors did was bring in the silage, that was it. As soon as last load was in (and maybe they had the grub, depending on the time of day) they were gone.

Guys here would usually anyway, had ours in for about half 9 Monday evening, then the 4 fellows drawing, the fellow from the harvester and myself up on the pit with the loading shovel dumping up the tyres, all finished for before 10. So about half an hours work for me with the pit versus god only know how many evenings/nights I'd have been cutting, rowing and drawing 40 acres of bales after work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

they always cover the pit here, i give them dinner and tea. they are getting paid enough imo

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Colmm23

whelan1 wrote: »
    they are getting paid enough imo

Would you like to expand on that Whelan1? I dont understand how you can think that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I can see Whelan1's point. They are pulling in picking up 100+acres @€;100 minimum per acre...... that's a cool €10,000 for one job!!

That could be 6-8 'small' jobs round these parts. They'd have more margin on one big job and would be foolish to let that contract go for the sake of throwin on a cover..so long as they are gettin paid :p

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭topgeas

130 acre this year. cut, rake, pick up 5-20 foot trailers, 2 loaders and pit covered. mowed 48acres fri evening picked up sat evening. pit covered at 10pm in the pub at half 10. well worth it.

pay him in sept.

Advertisement