Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

me dole

• 12-06-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

It seems to be discussed so often here but no really makes a suggestion on how to fix it
    I think anyone one the dole should give a cv into the welfare office. The welfare office compiles a data base Which would be available to all employers and any one who rejects a reasonable offer should loss their dole.

only a ruff sketch of the idea details to be hammered out once im in power
    what would ye propose to solve the welfare problem

(in after hours because that is where most dole bashing occurs)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

My solution would be to create a profit driven state owned wide ranging business which employs only those who have claimed welfare for over a year.

Train them up, set them to work and then once they have experience they will naturally gravitate towards better paid positions in the private sector.

State benefits from cheap labour to generate extra revenue, people benefit from free training and experience. Win win situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

These threads sometimes deserve inane answers, so, three fiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well we sort of have this already OP

Employers and welfare cooperating to get staff for shop assistants, hotels, delivery drivers, and cleaners.
    Don't forget the graduate job that needs five years experiences

Honest paying jobs turned into free labour

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Send them to Australia. Oh, wait..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

I think we should coral all dole bludgers and let me use them for target practice ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It seems to be discussed so often here but no really makes a suggestion on how to fix it
    I think anyone one the dole should give a cv into the welfare office. The welfare office compiles a data base Which would be available to all employers and any one who rejects a reasonable offer should loss their dole.

They do get a cv from a good number of unemployed folk. They get them when they call people in for a chat/interview once a person is unemployed for a set amount of time. Think it is over a year.

Have never heard of anyone getting any sort of paying job offer after handing in their cv though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

or else just have a system to catch the greedy feckers that are working doing nixer's and the likes and then claiming the dole on top of what they are earning :mad:

Or at least have some sort of community work for people on the dole to be doing - rather than them driving around sticking " powered by the dole" stickers on their cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Send them to Australia. Oh, wait..

I really fail to see what was wrong with the Poor House system ... worked well at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

@ OP

So that would be the process where they require you to register with Fas within one month of notifying SP of your unemployed status or your payment is withdrawn?

End thread/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Kess73 wrote: »
    They do get a cv from a good number of unemployed folk. They get them when they call people in for a chat/interview once a person is unemployed for a set amount of time. Think it is over a year.

Have never heard of anyone getting any sort of paying job offer after handing in their cv though.

thats why we need a system to try and get them jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

The welfare office compiles a data base

:D Public section IT Good one. So 100 million in consultancy fees and 10 years late we will have half a system .

Pandora2 wrote: »
    @ OP

So that would be the process where they require you to register with Fas within one month of notifying SP of your unemployed status or your payment is withdrawn?

End thread/
    that only means the state pays a wage not welfare Im talking about a way to reduce the welfare bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

employers don't go looking for staff, potential staff come to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just turn them into Soylent Green

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Well we sort of have this already OP

Employers and welfare cooperating to get staff for shop assistants, hotels, delivery drivers, and cleaners.
    Don't forget the graduate job that needs five years experiences

Honest paying jobs turned into free labour

but the state pays and insults people by saying their "training" them
    all that does is block recruitment for the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

The welfare office compiles a data base Which would be available to all employers...
    My local office doesn't even answer the phones and hasn't done for over 2 years thanks to some work-to-rule jazz they've got going on - how do you propose to get them to compile a database of anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Kess73 wrote: »
    Think it is over a year.

Less than 6 months. You do it with Fás and have to prove you are looking for work or go on courses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

doing nixer's

Sorry, but what is that? Is that the website that looks incredibly like Jobs.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Pandora2 wrote: »
    @ OP

End thread/

Oh yeah that one..

Where you go to Fas because your sick of not having a job, and they tell you they are really sorry but there aren't any jobs out there. The guy you have been waiting an hour and a half to see, he shakes his head and says he wishes there was more he could say but he can't create jobs, he really wishes he could but there is only so much he can do....

And then you say your interested in a few courses or that you might be interested in changing job direction, and he says he can put your name down but you probably won't hear anything for a year because there are so many people on the waiting list. As for changing job direction, well that is something you need to go home and think about, he's not really qualified to give that advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

El Weirdo wrote: »
    My local office doesn't even answer the phones and hasn't done for over 2 years thanks to some work-to-rule jazz they've got going on - how do you propose to get them to compile a database of anything?
    Fire the lazy bastards and give their jobs to the first x number of people to hand in suitable CV's.

• Advertisement

Little My wrote: »
    Oh yeah that one..

Where you go to Fas because your sick of not having a job, and they tell you they are really sorry but there aren't any jobs out there. The guy you have been waiting an hour and a half to see, he shakes his head and says he wishes there was more he could say but he can't create jobs, he really wishes he could but there is only so much he can do....

And then you say your interested in a few courses or that you might be interested in changing job direction, and he says he can put your name down but you probably won't hear anything for a year because there are so many people on the waiting list. As for changing job direction, well that is something you need to go home and think about, he's not really qualified to give that advice.

That's the one:rolleyes: The States Employment Agency...we are feckin' doomed:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i read title as 'me hole' thought it was gonna be somethin funny about ridin'... :(

davet82 wrote: »
    i read title as 'me hole' thought it was gonna be somethin funny about ridin'... :(

Commiserations....nothing like that round these parts;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Free dole for everyone!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Why don't we create an extra 150,000 positions in the public sector, rent out loads of office space on 25 year leases to our relations, then duplicate the same work all over the country and ...........

oh wait .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Wasn't that the idea of FAS, to be linked or told about suitable positions or courses depending on your expereince/interests.

I also thought that SW could cut your dole if you turned down resonable offers, although during the whole 14-15 months I was on the dole, i was not asked once what I had applied for, and only called by FAS twice to see them, dispite my efforts in continusly chasing them for courses.

Thankfully eventually got on a course and started work full time immediatly after finishing it.

Advertisement