Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has any new chocolate bar come out in the past 20 years?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭

Can anyone help settle a debate? Has any completely new chocolate bar come out in the past 20 years and stayed on the market for longer than a year or two?

By completely new, I mean not just a variation of an existing one, such as Peanut Lion bars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I think the Cadbury picnic came out bout 95-96

Then there was that flyte bar that was low fat or some other nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I can't think of any. Wispa came after I don't know how long, if that counts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Nestle Dream ??
    Mars Delight ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Kit Kat Peanut :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Kit-kat chunky, its a completly different bar

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭coup1917

Drifter...?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

Owryan wrote: »
    Nestle Dream ??
    Mars Delight ??

Did Cadbury not make the Dream? Thats definitely within the last 20 years anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

steve22 wrote: »
    Did Cadbury not make the Dream? Thats definitely within the last 20 years anyway!

your right... my bad, was thinking of nestle crunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I am guessing here but;Time OutMoroDime BarsDouble Deckers

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I linked to a site with the histories before, but it is no longer working. Some bars were very old, a lot mentioned here are quite old
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry%27s_Chocolate_Cream
    Fry's Chocolate Cream was one of the first chocolate bars ever produced, launched in 1866

wiki has a few mentioned
    Drifter was launched by Rowntree's in 1980, consisting of a biscuit wafer with caramel layered on top.

Many seem to get rereleased which might confuse younger people. I remember the wispa Griff Rhys Jones adverts in the 80's. I thought drifter was later than 1980, the ad was a pimp character.
    Double Decker is a brand of chocolate bar currently manufactured by Cadbury. First introduced in 1976, its name derives from the double-decker bus.
    The Cadbury Picnic bar was first released in the UK in 1958.

Fuse bars were out for 10 years from 1996
    http://www.cadbury.co.uk/ourproducts/yesterday/Pages/Yesterday.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

There was a Cadbury's Truffle which lasted only about a year or so in the early 90s and their Top Deck one was on the go for ages. Milk and white chocolate combined, think yoiu could only get it in the big size.
    How long is the Moro in existance? Seems like it migt fall into your category OP.

moros are older
    http://www.cadbury.ie/cadburyandchocolate/ourstory/pages/cadburyirelandhistory.aspx
    By the early 1980's the "era of new product development" was in full swing. This led to the introduction of new products such as Twirl, Moro, Chomp and Eclairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Kinder Bueno?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

LCD wrote: »
    I am guessing here but;Time OutMoroDime BarsDouble Deckers
    Hmm, yeah, I can definitely recall Time Outs coming out when I was quite young. Pretty sure they were brand new and not just a relaunched item. My mom went mad for them and it was practically the only bar she would buy. Heaps of multipacks of the yokes :rolleyes:

Those others are definitely a lot older.

Time Out is a brand of chocolate bar currently manufactured by Cadbury. It was introduced in the United Kingdom and Ireland in 1992
    So ~20 years old, dunno how they lasted so long, I hate them, we have a charity bar basket in work and they are always the last ones left, have heard people calling them 'duds' looking at them in disgust!

Buenos were out in 91, but not here
    Kinder Bueno was first marketed in Germany in 1991. It became available in Latin America (Brazil, Argentina, Colombia and Mexico), Malaysia, The Netherlands, Portugal, Singapore, Israel and Greece in the mid-1990s, in Spain, Gibraltar, Italy and France starting in 1999, and has been common in Bulgaria, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom since 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dream, Galaxy Caramel, Galaxy Ripple, Boost, Top Deck

Pretty sure they were all in the last 20 years. I was also going to say Bueno. '99 in UK and Ireland, '91 in germany. I think we can count that

Mellor wrote: »
    Dream, Galaxy Caramel, Galaxy Ripple, Boost, Top Deck

Not sure if that would qualify under the "not just a variation of an existing one" condition though? If that were the case you could also say Galaxy Cookie Crumble, Galaxy Hazelnut (?), etc.

And Boost was just a temporarily renamed Moro?

Not sure if that would qualify under the "not just a variation of an existing one" condition though? If that were the case you could also say Galaxy Cookie Crumble, Galaxy Hazelnut (?),
    Nowadays they seem to keep familiar names in the title for marketing reasons. 'Galaxy' is really advertising the type of chocolate used, like you might see 'dairy milk' listed on a top deck bar, its more like a brand name. Mars are the company but if you heard "mars hazelnut" I would expect a mars bar with nuts in it.

I would see peanut butter kitkat chunkies as being quite different from regular kitkats, they could have called them something completely different and I would never have thought 'hey this is really like a kit kat'

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Diamond_Ninja

Ehh..

Jedward-Bars-300x225.jpg

:p.. Theyre actually yummy, popping candy FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not sure if that would qualify under the "not just a variation of an existing one" condition though? If that were the case you could also say Galaxy Cookie Crumble, Galaxy Hazelnut (?), etc.

And Boost was just a temporarily renamed Moro?
    It's nothing like a regular galaxy. It's the type of chocolate as Rubadub said. That's why I only listed caramel and ripple. The others are arguably variations on the original.

Boost is the original name.Moro is the rename in Ireland only, no idea why. But It's actually from '85. I was thinking of the boost guarana (sp?) from a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Boost is the original name.Moro is the rename in Ireland only, no idea why.

I know, but they tried to rebrand it as Boost in Ireland several years ago. It mustn't have caught on though, as they reverted.
    I was thinking of the boost guarana (sp?) from a few years ago.
    That was so vile. No wonder it didn't last long.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That Cadbury Marble bar was out for a good while, wasn't it?

Bring that back actually, it was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

How about that 'Secret' bar, came out about 20 years ago, only lasted a few years

Time outs are my favourite bar ever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Frynge wrote: »
    I think the Cadbury picnic came out bout 95-96

Then there was that flyte bar that was low fat or some other nonsense

I can remember Picnic bars back in the 70's.

Faith wrote: »
    That Cadbury Marble bar was out for a good while, wasn't it?

Bring that back actually, it was great!
    Agree with this! Got a Marble Easter Egg once or twice during the time they were available. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Ehh..

Jedward-Bars-300x225.jpg

:p.. Theyre actually yummy, popping candy FTW

I thought these made you gay though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

The Langer Bar
    Cork's Newest and most popular chocolate bar. Its a milk chocolate bar...like! ...pure Cork boy

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Half-Door-Sweet-Company/115774271869402

Don't tell me you haven't tried this chocolate bar !!!;)

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I thought these made you gay though?

Well then slap my arse and call me gay cos I love 'em! :p

• Advertisement

Well then slap my arse and call me gay cos I love 'em! :p
    Yeah, but do you think the bars nice?

:pac:

Advertisement