Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon monoxide

Options
  • 12-06-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

Quick question... moved out of a rented house cause alarm went off. Who can I tell that there might be an issue in the house. Landlord tried to fix but he didnt.

I have a letter done... thing is that the house is back up for rent.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Something similar happened to me last November. Turns out the detector's battery was dying and bleeped to signify end of life. The room (and house) was passed fit by a qualified inspector and i stayed put but i did consider moving of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

Something similar happened to me last November. Turns out the detector's battery was dying and bleeped to signify end of life. The room (and house) was passed fit by a qualified inspector and i stayed put but i did consider moving of course.

It was a new detector so its not the battery.. There was soot all over the place in the mornings so something seriously wrong with the building of chimney.

see is if something happens to somebody in the house and it was the reason we moved out. I would never forgive myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

the chimney could be blocked, idiots block it with newspaper to keep the heat in, lived in a couple of places that had done that was shocked.

you can ring the environmental health officer and report it and they can do an inspection of the property or point you in the right direction

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Environmental_Health/Environmental_Health_Officers/

and fair play to you for giving a **** a lot of ppl wouldnt and would just move out and say nothing to anyone, other than bitching to friends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

jtown wrote: »
    It was a new detector so its not the battery.. There was soot all over the place in the mornings so something seriously wrong with the building of chimney.

Ah ok fair enough. I insisted on getting an CO alarm which gave a digital reading of the current level in the room, when my one showed 0 for a full week i knew it was safe to move back into it.

Moving is a massive pain in the arse but you were right to do so if there is soot present, thats a classic sign. Not worth risking your health over anything.

Is there a vent in the room and is that blocked? I dont mean to play down your case its just there may be other reasons for the alarm going off.

• Advertisement

Ah ok fair enough. I insisted on getting an CO alarm which gave a digital reading of the current level in the room, when my one showed 0 for a full week i knew it was safe to move back into it.

Moving is a massive pain in the arse but you were right to do so if there is soot present, thats a classic sign. Not worth risking your health over anything.

Is there a vent in the room and is that blocked? I dont mean to play down your case its just there may be other reasons for the alarm going off.

Chimney was cleaned twice in the year we were there. Still soot would appear on the mantle piece. We were getting headaches etc. reading of 95 the night it went off. 2 vents in the room and there were not blocked. Smoke always came down out of the chimney when a fire was down.

edellc wrote: »
    the chimney could be blocked, idiots block it with newspaper to keep the heat in, lived in a couple of places that had done that was shocked.

you can ring the environmental health officer and report it and they can do an inspection of the property or point you in the right direction

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/Environmental_Health/Environmental_Health_Officers/

and fair play to you for giving a **** a lot of ppl wouldnt and would just move out and say nothing to anyone, other than bitching to friends

Imagine if something happened! Has to be said to someone. Its my duty to do so

Sent to local County Council.

Advertisement