Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland as a tourist destination!

• 12-06-2012 5:18pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭

I have often wondered why anyone would want to spent ( or waste ) their hard earned money coming to Ireland as a tourist or holidaymaker.

First of all, we have a lousy climate. Now I know people do not come here for the weather, so it is not such a big issue.

The most off putting aspect about travelling in Ireland is the high cost of travel, food and accommodation, when compared to our target markets of the UK, USA and Western Europe.

Our once beautiful countryside has been ravaged by uncontrolled housing developement of the most ugly, vulgar and inappropriate styles.

Public transport is a joke or non-existant throughout large areas of rural Ireland.

Our once famous ' Cead Mile Failte ' and friendly banter has been considerably watered down with the employment of vast numbers of foreign nationals in the hospitality sector.

Many villages lack such basic facilities as a public toilet, coffee shop, children's playground or bus shelter.

Our motorways and main roads do not have picnic sites or service areas and we all know the reason for that.

Why would anyone want to visit Ireland?

Any visitors out there who would like to enlighten me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Because the unraped countryside we have left can be quite beautiful to look at.
    The citys not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

AH in Irish self-deprecating thread shocker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Im a native, not a visitor

But I reckon it's because they like it,

And I hope tourists continue to visit our beautiful country,

I hope they don't bump into you on their travels anyway, you'll send em home!

In other words:

F*ck off outta here if you don't like it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Clareboy wrote: »
    I have often wondered why anyone would want to spent ( or waste ) their hard earned money coming to Ireland as a tourist or holidaymaker.

First of all, we have a lousy climate. Now I know people do not come here for the weather, so it is not such a big issue.

The most off putting aspect about travelling in Ireland is the high cost of travel, food and accommodation, when compared to our target markets of the UK, USA and Western Europe.

Our once beautiful countryside has been ravaged by uncontrolled housing developement of the most ugly, vulgar and inappropriate styles.

Public transport is a joke or non-existant throughout large areas of rural Ireland.

Our once famous ' Cead Mile Failte ' and friendly banter has been considerably watered down with the employment of vast numbers of foreign nationals in the hospitality sector.

Many villages lack such basic facilities as a public toilet, coffee shop, children's playground or bus shelter.

Our motorways and main roads do not have picnic sites or service areas and we all know the reason for that.

If Ireland had the weather it would be one of the nicest places to visit, slights and scenery wise. The Island its self has some of the most scenic sights, especially along the atlantic and north coast.

In regard to motorway services, considering the number of motorways we have, and the lenght of them, you'll never really be on one long enough to really require them, the M4 services are handy, but not sure they would be missed if we never had them.

As for ameanities in local towns and villages, I'll give you that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Some parts are beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bell Butter

Thread needs more brass monkey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We have a lot of history here, both in building history, in writing, in battle and in art history.
    I can totally understand why someone would want to come visit.
    The contribution Ireland has made to world history has been considerable in many ways.
    Some people like to gain the opportunity to see the roots of this which has spread across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Thread needs more brass monkey.

Monkey needs more brass thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

We have a beautiful country out there if you look hard enough Ireland has some magnificent sights and brilliant places to go. I've been to other supposed 'beautiful' countries and cities and been very disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Clareboy is this thread just another excuse for you to start ranting about one off housing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Daisy M wrote: »
    Clareboy is this thread just another excuse for you to start ranting about one off housing?

And foriegn folk, given some of his other threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bell Butter

mr.jingle wrote: »
    We have a beautiful country out there if you look hard enough Ireland has some magnificent sights and brilliant places to go. I've been to other supposed 'beautiful' countries and cities and been very disappointed

True, look at Paris, nice in the centre of the city but a bit shítty around the outskirts and the people are horrible. Italy, don't go to fúcking naples what ever you do..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I stumbled upon an american travel online magazine about a month ago (can't think of the name of it) but it did a feature on Ireland. It interviewed 3 Americans who had been on holiday recently here. Two of them had been here many times before and one person had only visited the once.

The two who had been here numerous times before also made the point that the 'céad míle fáilte' is practically gone with so many foreign workers in the hospitality industry. One of the people said that their contact with Irish people used to be through the hospitality industry (ie they would chat to the wait staff,hotel staff etc) and this was their way of interacting with the Irish public and they have said it has all but disappeared now.

...Why would anyone want to visit Ireland?

If you really have to ask that question, you have not being paying much attention in school to history, geography, art lesson or even the subject of writing during an English class.

A sad state of exposing ones's lack of education in a lot of matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

We have alot going for us here. Four seasons in one day. Some beautiful towns and villages with great places to eat and drink. And great scenery. I hadn't been to West Cork and Kerry until last year. I was blown away by the scenery and beauty of the place. We have lost the pub tradition though which was a tourist attraction and we could do with reducing our prices even further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I stumbled upon an american travel online magazine about a month ago (can't think of the name of it) but it did a feature on Ireland. It interviewed 3 Americans who had been on holiday recently here. Two of them had been here many times before and one person had only visited the once.

The two who had been here numerous times before also made the point that the 'céad míle fáilte' is practically gone with so many foreign workers in the hospitality industry. One of the people said that their contact with Irish people used to be through the hospitality industry (ie they would chat to the wait staff,hotel staff etc) and this was their way of interacting with the Irish public and they have said it has all but disappeared now.

Maybe they would be better off staying in family owned b&bs and guesthouses rather than chain hotels. Now I have to say in fairness that I find staff in Irish hotels to be extremely friendly and polite regardless of thei nationality. I think the lack of the "cead mile failte" probably comes from the staff not having time to stand and chat as they are ran off their feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Our motorways are tiny in comparison to what people in other countries are used to. a 2 and a half hour journey in a car is nothing to an American so there's little need for stop off along the motorway, just pull into any town and you have the services you need.

People do love Ireland, I had one American that was touring Europe say to me Ireland is the only country that lived up to expectations. People don't come to Ireland expecting sunshine our weather is world renowned. Even in the rain though Ireland has this mysticism to it, probably because of the rain it has that sense. It also has a very different feel to a continent it's kind of hard to explain.

It's also down to the people though, we are different in just about everything we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    We have alot going for us here. Four seasons in one day. Some beautiful towns and villages with great places to eat and drink. And great scenery. I hadn't been to West Cork and Kerry until last year. I was blown away by the scenery and beauty of the place. We have lost the pub tradition though which was a tourist attraction and we could do with reducing our prices even further.

I wouldn't say we've lost the pub tradition. I spent a week in Clare in mid-February and there was a live trad session 7 nights a week in the local. Beautiful part of the world with quiet roads to cycle on all across the Burren. Any traffic we met seemed to be buses full of tourists. Certainly no shortage of scenery or pubs in Kerry in my experience either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Will you give up on that codology, it seems a periodic thing with you that you have to make a thread about how dare people build houses in the country side and not pay property tax for a couple of public toilets and a few fcuk off lay by's with flower pots that a handfull of tourists might use once a year.

Go live somewhere else if things are so bad here, you'd be no loss to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

hardCopy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say we've lost the pub tradition. I spent a week in Clare in mid-February and there was a live trad session 7 nights a week in the local. Beautiful part of the world with quiet roads to cycle on all across the Burren. Any traffic we met seemed to be buses full of tourists. Certainly no shortage of scenery or pubs in Kerry in my experience either.

It's good to hear that some parts of Ireland are doing well in the pub trade. I guess the music is a huge plus.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

I think if you planned it right it could be a good destination. As far as I can tell alot of tourists end up in the wrong parts of the country, and confine themselves to Dublin too much.

Depends what you want out of it really. I'm not sure why any young person would holiday here though and the nightlife is slightly overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

Tourists come to Ireland expecting to interact with Irish people, hear the Irish accent, have the famous craic etc and instead they are faced with Nigerian taxi drivers, Pakistani shop assistants, Polish bar maids, Chinese waitresses etc etc. It's very possible to take a week long holiday and not interact with one Irish person at all. Anybody who thinks this isn't negatively affecting our tourist numbers is DELUDED.

Tourists come to Ireland expecting to interact with Irish people, hear the Irish accent, have the famous craic etc and instead they are faced with Nigerian taxi drivers, Pakistani shop assistants, Polish bar maids, Chinese waitresses etc etc. It's very possible to take a week long holiday and not interact with one Irish person at all. Anybody who thinks this isn't negatively affecting our tourist numbers is DELUDED.
    This would be another thing foreigners would be well used to, especially our target market the yanks and Brits. They've had multiculturalism for decades. It's also nonsense to say you could spend any amount of time in Ireland without running into Irish people, even the foreigners that do end up here seem to be characters that are suited to the Irish way of life.

As Dunphy said, this country is a kip. The education and training system is a disgrace. The amount of people doing utterly useless FAS courses these days for their 200 + euro allowance is huge. I would to if I could.

People need to breed more to survive, and cherish their own family members in successful positions who can provide them with employment.

Education and Law is a pointless in this country. Due to its size, its all about connections. You can do practically anything with enough money/contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

It's a fantastic country to visit. In spite of my Irish roots I still am a tourist returning to my "home country" but I am stunned by the scenery every single time I visit. I'm fortunate to have family in Connemara which is very beautiful but the West Coast of Ireland as a whole is stunning: Ring of Kerry, parts of Mayo round Croagh Patrick, Cliffs of Moher then going up as far as Donegal (there's of course more to it but they're the places that spring to mind). All of it are beautiful places to go on holiday. The people make it as well as the scenery. I know there's a disproportionate number of people from Dublin in After Hours who love to complain about knackers but I always find the people in Ireland very hospitable and friendly on the whole. Dublin is worth a visit as a tourist well but I wouldn't do more than a weekend trip there. Although I think if you want to truly experience the true culture of any country you never get this from visiting the capital.

I think people in general from Britain and Ireland go on a lot of holidays just because of the weather. They miss out on a lot of beautiful places to go in their own country, particularly the English where I'm from, who have this paranoid view that as soon as they enter Scotland, Wales or Ireland or even the other end of their own country that as soon as their accent is clocked people will immediately be hostile and turn on you which I can't ever recall ever experiencing this. I often asked by my friends in England when I say I'm off home to Ireland to see family and they say stupid things like "make sure they don't catch a whiff your accent" or "don't you feel threatened going there?" :rolleyes: It's all very narrow minded.

There's a lot of people therefore are happy to go to some place on the Mediterranean sit by a pool for two weeks, getting drunk in an English/Irish bar with their compatriots and call it the best holiday of their life. Which there is nothing wrong with of course but it's not my cup of tea personally and I do feel you are missing out if that's your holiday every single year.

:cool:

ScumLord wrote: »
    This would be another thing foreigners would be well used to, especially our target market the yanks and Brits. They've had multiculturalism for decades. It's also nonsense to say you could spend any amount of time in Ireland without running into Irish people, even the foreigners that do end up here seem to be characters that are suited to the Irish way of life.

I don't understand what you mean by the part in bold. Can you elaborate? Are you referring to the Prime Time Investigates programme earlier this year which exposed the endemic problem of Nigerian taxi drivers sharing license plates, working while cliaming the dole and embracing the Irish "cute hoor" way of life?

As for the British and the Americans regarding multiculturalism - I'd be very shocked if I arrived in a rural British town and was overwhelmingly surrounded by Brazillians (think of tiny Gort in Co. Galway). FWIW I was personally dissappointed with the lack of British presence in London. Hardly anybody spoke English which made the trip more difficult. I felt like I was in Pakistan. If I wanted to experience Pakistan, I would go there, but I wanted to see England.

DB10 wrote: »
    As Dunphy said, this country is a kip. The education and training system is a disgrace. The amount of people doing utterly useless FAS courses these days for their 200 + euro allowance is huge. I would to if I could.

People need to breed more to survive, and cherish their own family members in successful positions who can provide them with employment.

Education and Law is a pointless in this country. Due to its size, its all about connections. You can do practically anything with enough money/contacts.

While I might agree with you on some of the above - what have they got to do with tourism and this thread topic? :confused:

It's just a pity that the young Irish who could be working in the hospitality industry see it as something other people do. Well, unless they go to Australia for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

What does any of that have to do with the country as a tourist destination?

It's not even a misleading thread title. You had to read one sentence and you couldn't be bothered to do that. No wonder the country is in a state.

OT : We have a beautiful countryside. Add that with the historic buildings and what not it's a fantastic. Someone said it above but I do think it would be important to plan a trip here or you'd end up in spots that aren't as interesting.

• Advertisement

It's just a pity that the young Irish who could be working in the hospitality industry see it as something other people do. Well, unless they go to Australia for a bit.
    Plenty of young Irish work in the Hospitality sector, they do where I live anyway.

I must say its not like they are crying out for workers, I asked around last week and most are full for the summer for employment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

RTE News wrote:
    A new report has found that Irish hotels offer some of the cheapest places to stay in Western Europe with the average hotel room rate at €79 a night.

The report from Hotels.com found that rates have fallen 4% year-on-year. The survey also found Kilkenny is the most expensive destination in Ireland, while Waterford is the cheapest.

The average room rate in Ireland is now €79 compared to €82 in 2009, and is now back to 2004 levels. This makes Ireland the least expensive destination in Western Europe and the fourth most inexpensive in Europe.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0321/hotel-business.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

People in hospitality get treated like dogs

You'd earn more and get more respect from working in McDonalds. They are recognized as a good employer

You make it seem that Irish people won't work in hotels, well who was doing these jobs before mass immigration?
    Do you think all young people are lazy?

There are so many employment abuses from Irish managers in hotels pretty much any other job is preferable.
    Tesco is another decent job

I don't understand what you mean by the part in bold. Can you elaborate? Are you referring to the Prime Time Investigates programme earlier this year which exposed the endemic problem of Nigerian taxi drivers sharing license plates, working while cliaming the dole and embracing the Irish "cute hoor" way of life?

So a few Nigerians are not only representative of all Nigerians but all "Foreigners" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

What is the reason for that?

Plenty of young Irish work in the Hospitality sector, they do where I live anyway.

I must say its not like they are crying out for workers, I asked around last week and most are full for the summer for employment.

Where do you live? Even when I visited the most remote little pub on one of the Aran Islands I was served by a foreigner. They have displaced the Irish worker EVERYWHERE.

Tourists come over with an outdated Darby O'Gill vision of Ireland in their head, and then this is shattered when they are confronted with a clueless Chinese chap at the shop till who barely speaks English (but he's here on a student visa :rolleyes: ). Anybody been to any of the Carroll's Irish Gift stores lately? They seem to hire exclusively Spanish and Italians. I actually wrote to their store HQ in the past asking why this is the case. I have yet to receive a reply. The image is farcical - Pablo and Roberto selling our tourists Guinness glasses, shamrock keychains and postcards of the Liffey.

I said it before and I'll say it again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

wyndham wrote: »
    What is the reason for that?

Our nomadic friends will take them over boss

Those that do exist have barriers at a height to stop caravans getting in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Americans love Ireland.
    Lots of them around Wicklow, Kerry, Claire, Galway and all...

I like a few places in Ireland but after a while it all starts to look kind of the same... Green hills, bogs, some cliffs and sea...

Though maybe I would say the same if I was living in Alaska, after a while its just snow, mountains, the odd forests and wildlife...

Where do you live? Even when I visited the most remote little pub on one of the Aran Islands I was served by a foreigner. They have displaced the Irish worker EVERYWHERE.

Tourists come over with an outdated Darby O'Gill vision of Ireland in their head, and then this is shattered when they are confronted with a clueless Chinese chap at the shop till who barely speaks English (but he's here on a student visa :rolleyes: ). Anybody been to any of the Carroll's Irish Gift stores lately? They seem to hire exclusively Spanish and Italians. I actually wrote to their store HQ in the past asking why this is the case. I have yet to receive a reply. The image is farcical - Pablo and Roberto selling our tourists Guinness glasses, shamrock keychains and postcards of the Liffey.

Odd, as only over a third in the "hotel and hospitality" sector were born outside Ireland in 2006....
    http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2007pressreleases/2006censusofpopulation-volume7-principaleconomicstatusandindustries/

Nodin wrote: »
    Odd, as only over a third in the "hotel and hospitality" sector were born outside Ireland in 2006....
    http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2007pressreleases/2006censusofpopulation-volume7-principaleconomicstatusandindustries/

It's currently 2012, horse.

It's currently 2012, horse.

You've updated statistics? Excellent. Lets have a look at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Sure...Ireland would be a great country, if it weren't for the natives.

Nodin wrote: »
    You've updated statistics? Excellent. Lets have a look at them.

CSO stats collected last year have not been published yet, pal. Doesn't mean I'm going to use outdated stats to feebly form an arguement. There have been dramatic changes in the country in the last few years, as you know.

Regarding the 2006 stats...a third of our hospitality workers were foreign born :eek: Alarm bells should have been ringing. They are shocking stats. Foreign hotel receptionists, foreign bar men, foreign waitresses, foreign maids. The Céad Míle Fáilte died a long time ago.

Sure...Ireland would be a great country, if it weren't for the natives naive.

Now ya got it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

I'd be very shocked if I arrived in a rural British town and was overwhelmingly surrounded by Brazillians (think of tiny Gort in Co. Galway).

You aren't "overwhelmed" with Brazilians when you go to Gort. The numbers there have dwindled, and even when there was a larger population, they integrated excellently. Maybe you should visit the place sometime, instead of using it as an example of your misguided, and sinister beliefs.

Sergeant wrote: »
    You aren't "overwhelmed" with Brazilians when you go to Gort. The numbers there have dwindled, and even when there was a larger population, they integrated excellently. Maybe you should visit the place sometime, instead of using it as an example of your misguided, and sinister beliefs.

Are you sure you're in the right thread, pal? Nobody is talking about integration. That is all well and good but the crux of the matter is the Brazillians aren't Irish and never will be. Tourists don't come here to meet Brazillians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Major tourist destination ≠ remote.

Yes there's those lads, plenty of English, Scottish and Welsh, but just as many Poles and Brazilians have decided to settle here and before you say it's for dole I can see them coming and going to work everyday. All nice people and have plenty of Irish friends.
    As for the British and the Americans regarding multiculturalism - I'd be very shocked if I arrived in a rural British town and was overwhelmingly surrounded by Brazillians (think of tiny Gort in Co. Galway).
    Gorts not like that, more nonsense.

Which pub? Because I was on the Aran Islands a few months ago and I was served by the owner of the pub an Irish man. You'll be shocked to hear the skipper of the boat was a French man though.

You seem to be a magnet for foreign people, maybe in real life you seem more friendly and approachable.

That is all well and good but the crux of the matter is the Brazillians aren't Irish and never will be. Tourists don't come here to meet Brazillians.
    That's what the Mayans said about the Spanish and sure they're all Mexicans now so I suppose your right.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Yes there's those lads, plenty of English, Scottish and Welsh, but just as many Poles and Brazilians have decided to settle here and before you say it's for dole I can see them coming and going to work everyday. All nice people and have plenty of Irish friends.

Serious amount of red herrings and strawmen being thrown around. Welcome to debating 101 lads. I'm sure the foreigners are nice people but they are not Irish which is what tourists want to see. It's like going into an electronics store to buy a new dishwasher and getting offered a laptop. The laptop is great and very useful, but it's not what you came to buy.

I'm sure the foreigners are nice people but they are not Irish which is what tourists want to see.
    Who cares what the tourists expect to see this sin't Disneyland, it's a country just like any other.

• Advertisement
Advertisement