Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland as a tourist destination!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

ScumLord wrote: »
    Who cares what the tourists expect to see this sin't Disneyland, it's a country just like any other.

The tourists care what the tourists come to see. They are not happy being greeted and served by foreigners for their whole holiday, hence tourists numbers are down. Most people get only one holiday a year, and Americans especially pay alot of money to come here. I'd be píssed off if this "New" Ireland was my destination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Visitor numbers are down. Big f*cking shock there.

If you'll look too, trips made by Irish abroad are down as well.

It may surprise you to know that people don't have as much money to spend on foreign trips.

G'way with your bolix xenephobia. I work in the hospitality industry, and we are constantly looking for staff. The only ones that seem to consistantly come in and present themselves very well, are "furriners".

Visitor numbers are down. Big f*cking shock there.

If you'll look too, trips made by Irish abroad are down as well.

It may surprise you to know that people don't have as much money to spend on foreign trips.

G'way with your bolix xenephobia. I work in the hospitality industry, and we are constantly looking for staff. The only ones that seem to consistantly come in and present themselves very well, are "furriners".

More lousy debating tactics by Boards.ie users. You try to paint me as a racist neanderthal for highlighting tourist feedback on Ireland's hospitality industry. Talk about shooting the messenger. By the way, you spelt "foreigners" wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

wyndham wrote: »

You call €79 per night for a hotel room cheap! Last year, I stayed in a hotel in the centre of Madrid for €30 for a single en-suite room!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

wyndham wrote: »
    What is the reason for that?

Because the Travellers would turn any roadside picnic sites or lay-bys into filthy roadside encampments as every Irishperson knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

CSO stats collected last year have not been published yet, pal. Doesn't mean I'm going to use outdated stats to feebly form an arguement. .

...you'd rather base it on anecdotes. Wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The tourists care what the tourists come to see. They are not happy being greeted and served by foreigners for their whole holiday, hence tourists numbers are down. Most people get only one holiday a year, and Americans especially pay alot of money to come here. I'd be píssed off if this "New" Ireland was my destination.
    Would you get upset if you went to America and it wasn't full of people dressed as cowboy or Indians? Or if everybody in China couldn't do kung fu, maybe you'd get upset if you saw a Mexican eating a McDonald's?

Ireland isn't just a tourist attraction, if people came here expecting to see Angela's ashes then their idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Where do you live? Even when I visited the most remote little pub on one of the Aran Islands I was served by a foreigner. They have displaced the Irish worker EVERYWHERE.

Tourists come over with an outdated Darby O'Gill vision of Ireland in their head, and then this is shattered when they are confronted with a clueless Chinese chap at the shop till who barely speaks English (but he's here on a student visa :rolleyes: ). Anybody been to any of the Carroll's Irish Gift stores lately? They seem to hire exclusively Spanish and Italians. I actually wrote to their store HQ in the past asking why this is the case. I have yet to receive a reply. The image is farcical - Pablo and Roberto selling our tourists Guinness glasses, shamrock keychains and postcards of the Liffey.

I said it before and I'll say it again

So what if Ireland has changed since the 50s?

We have changed as a country and as a people and if any American tourists have a problem with that they can f*ck off. I'm glad their illusion of a leprachauns and Guinness has been shattered, it was an ignorent illusion in the first place.

Also, you sound racist, In fact you probably are a racist. Go ahead and whine about 'PC gone mad', but you are treating foreign nationals the same way Irish people were treated when they got off the boat to America.

Would you get upset if you went to America and it wasn't full of people dressed as cowboy or Indians? Or if everybody in China couldn't do kung fu, maybe you'd get upset if you saw a Mexican eating a McDonald's?

Ireland isn't just a tourist attraction, if people came here expecting to see Angela's ashes then their idiots.

You just don't get it, do you? More strawmen. Is that an offense against the charter, mods? I don't expect to see leprechauns and fair maidens dancing at the crossroads in Ireland. I expect to see Irish people.
    I don't expect to see men riding around on bikes with berets and baguettes in France. I expect to see French people.
    I don't expect to see cowboys and Indians in America. I expect to see Americans.

Is my point getting through to you? If you respond with more strawmen I will ignore you. I suggest you look up the term if you aren't familiar with it.

• Advertisement

You just don't get it, do you? More strawmen. Is that an offense against the charter, mods? I don't expect to see leprechauns and fair maidens dancing at the crossroads in Ireland. I expect to see Irish people.

As it seems the majority of those employed in the Hotel and restaurant industry are Irish, then there'll be little trouble in having that expectation met. Unless, of course, you can produce figures that suggest otherwise.

So what if Ireland has changed since the 50s?

We have changed as a country and as a people and if any American tourists have a problem with that they can f*ck off. I'm glad their illusion of a leprachauns and Guinness has been shattered, it was an ignorent illusion in the first place.

Also, you sound racist, In fact you probably are a racist. Go ahead and whine about 'PC gone mad', but you are treating foreign nationals the same way Irish people were treated when they got off the boat to America.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B1seA0Fq1yc/T01gIc1EV5I/AAAAAAAAAmk/Kk0XqpAlA4k/s1600/shout_racist-300x300.jpg

I don't expect to see men riding around on bikes with berets and baguettes in France. I expect to see French people.
    I don't expect to see cowboys and Indians in America. I expect to see Americans.
    What is an American though? A native American, white people?

France has had black people in it for century's because their right across from north Africa. These are all multicultural countries and have been for a long time, you can't just paint a picture of some white guy with a big nose, wearing a black and white stripy jumper and say that's what a French man looks like.

People have moved around and swapped cultures since the human race began, every culture is always in transition and the only way to stop it is to be like North Korea.

What is an American though? A native American, white people?

France has had black people in it for century's because their right across from north Africa. These are all multicultural countries and have been for a long time, you can't just paint a picture of some white guy with a big nose, wearing a black and white stripy jumper and say that's what a French man looks like.

People have moved around and swapped cultures since the human race began, every culture is always in transition and the only way to stop it is to be like North Korea.

Silly question. An American is somebody born in America. Nobody even mentioned ethnicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Clareboy wrote: »
    I have often wondered why anyone would want to spent ( or waste ) their hard earned money coming to Ireland as a tourist or holidaymaker.

First of all, we have a lousy climate. Now I know people do not come here for the weather, so it is not such a big issue.

The most off putting aspect about travelling in Ireland is the high cost of travel, food and accommodation, when compared to our target markets of the UK, USA and Western Europe.

Our once beautiful countryside has been ravaged by uncontrolled housing developement of the most ugly, vulgar and inappropriate styles.

Public transport is a joke or non-existant throughout large areas of rural Ireland.

Our once famous ' Cead Mile Failte ' and friendly banter has been considerably watered down with the employment of vast numbers of foreign nationals in the hospitality sector.

Many villages lack such basic facilities as a public toilet, coffee shop, children's playground or bus shelter.

Our motorways and main roads do not have picnic sites or service areas and we all know the reason for that.

Why would anyone want to visit Ireland?

Any visitors out there who would like to enlighten me!

you remind me of a dude that came up to me on the salthill prom in Galway when my gf was trying to use the toilets. the first one would not open, the second one would. he started complaining about how poor the toilet facilities were then moved on to a rant about the government, though we were not complaining.

there is a lot to see and do on this island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Our once famous ' Cead Mile Failte ' and friendly banter has been considerably watered down with the employment of vast numbers of foreign nationals in the hospitality sector.
    Seriously??
    I'd rather be waited on by a pleasantly respectful non national than some of the ignorant lazy incompetent Irish people who have served me in the last year...

If the "Cead Mile Failte" has been lost it's because we're not a welcoming nation like we used to be, but rather a bunch of jumped up twats who think waiting on tables is beneath us...

• Advertisement

DB10 wrote: »
    As Dunphy said, this country is a kip. The education and training system is a disgrace. The amount of people doing utterly useless FAS courses these days for their 200 + euro allowance is huge. I would to if I could.

People need to breed more to survive, and cherish their own family members in successful positions who can provide them with employment.

Education and Law is a pointless in this country. Due to its size, its all about connections. You can do practically anything with enough money/contacts.

does Dunphy ever say anything positive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Sergeant wrote: »
    You aren't "overwhelmed" with Brazilians when you go to Gort. The numbers there have dwindled, and even when there was a larger population, they integrated excellently. Maybe you should visit the place sometime, instead of using it as an example of your misguided, and sinister beliefs.

Are you sure you're in the right thread, pal? Nobody is talking about integration. That is all well and good but the crux of the matter is the Brazillians aren't Irish and never will be. Tourists don't come here to meet Brazillians.

Well they certainly don't come here to meet you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

There must be something wrong with my EFL students so. They've been telling me about how friendly their host families and flatmates have been, how much fun they've had in the pub, especially the ones with traditional Irish music, and how much they loved their trips to the Burren, The Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands, particularly the sheer beauty of the landscapes on display.

But obviously they've been doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Tourists come to Ireland expecting to interact with Irish people, hear the Irish accent, have the famous craic etc and instead they are faced with Nigerian taxi drivers, Pakistani shop assistants, Polish bar maids, Chinese waitresses etc etc. It's very possible to take a week long holiday and not interact with one Irish person at all. Anybody who thinks this isn't negatively affecting our tourist numbers is DELUDED.

Meh! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I saw a science fiction movie once about another planet orbiting the Sun on the other side - an exact copy of the Earth. Are you in the duplicate Ireland on that one?:D:D

Here back on Earth the original, I suggest you come to Laois and go around the towns I know best - Portlaoise, Portarlington, Mountmellick - and you will certainly be interacting with Irish people almost all the time. The only foreign taxi drivers I've come across in the past three years were a couple of English and one Scot (white-skinned, you'll be happy to hear no doubt). There are a few Polish girls in Lidl and Aldi, but how many tourists have long conversations about local heritage and history with checkout girls of any nationality in any country?

I think you need to make a trip or two abroad and see that there are terribly many non-Irish people in the world, and most people came to terms with that long ago.:):)

There must be something wrong with my EFL students so. They've been telling me about how friendly their host families and flatmates have been, how much fun they've had in the pub, especially the ones with traditional Irish music, and how much they loved their trips to the Burren, The Cliffs of Moher and the Aran Islands, particularly the sheer beauty of the landscapes on display.

But obviously they've been doing it wrong.

This thread isn't about the cliffs of moher or the burren. It's about the Irish hopitality sector being dominated by foreigners. Feel free to write a response about Irish hotels, bars and restaurants. You'll find they're almost entirely staffed by foreigners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

This thread (called IRELAND AS A TOURIST DESTINATION) isn't about the cliffs of moher or the burren. It's about the Irish hopitality sector being dominated by foreigners. Feel free to write a response about Irish hotels, bars and restaurants. You'll find they're almost entirely staffed by foreigners.

When they complain about hospitality staff I'll let you know. Just don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

This thread isn't about the cliffs of moher or the burren. It's about the Irish hopitality sector being dominated by foreigners. Feel free to write a response about Irish hotels, bars and restaurants. You'll find they're almost entirely staffed by foreigners.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I don't base my choice of holiday destination on the nationality of the staff in the restaurants and hotels. And I'd doubt if most other people do either.

But you've provided no proof or evidence towards that being the case.
    Almost 36,000 workers in the hotel and restaurant sector (36.6%) in 2006 were born outside Ireland.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/newsandevents/pressreleases/2007pressreleases/2006censusofpopulation-volume7-principaleconomicstatusandindustries/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Is my point getting through to you? If you respond with more strawmen I will ignore you. I suggest you look up the term if you aren't familiar with it.

Do you also complain about North African people on the streets and in the shop when you visit France? Do you complain about Asians in the Uk? Turks in Germany?

When you visit a country, any country, do not expect them to put on a Disneyland-style nostalgic show for you. You can get that in theme parks and on telly. When you visit a country, you get to see it as it is. And Ireland is no longer an isolated poor rural rock somewhere in the Atlantic, it is part of modern Western Europe.
    If you dislike honesty, stay at home.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Do you also complain about North African people on the streets and in the shop when you visit France? Do you complain about Asians in the Uk? Turks in Germany?

When you visit a country, any country, do not expect them to put on a Disneyland-style nostalgic show for you. You can get that in theme parks and on telly. When you visit a country, you get to see it as it is. And Ireland is no longer an isolated poor rural rock somewhere in the Atlantic, it is part of modern Western Europe.
    If you dislike honesty, stay at home.

Umm, Ireland is my home.
    I suggest you communicate this message to Bord Fáilte becuase they are still marketing their campaign of lies about Ireland's "céad míle fáilte", the land of saints and scholars, and the Irish craic.

Maybe they should update their pamphlets with the truth of modern Ireland: Nigerian asylum seekers, Roma gypsy beggars and Pakistani shop keepers. Let's see if our tourist numbers can fall any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Done this in college as part of a Tourism module, in shorts its not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Umm, Ireland is my home.
    I suggest you communicate this message to Bord Fáilte becuase they are still marketing their campaign of lies about Ireland's "céad míle fáilte", the land of saints and scholars, and the Irish craic.

Maybe they should update their pamphlets with the truth of modern Ireland: Nigerian asylum seekers, Roma gypsy beggars and Pakistani shop keepers. Let's see if our tourist numbers can fall any further.

I should have been clearer : Stay indoors and keep the curtains drawn.
    Don't go outside.
    People are liable to not look the way you want them to or talk the way you want them to.

I think most people would rather see a colourful, alive country than get the feeling of walking around some sort of Ghetto.

Umm, Ireland is my home.

....not that you're xenophobic or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I suggest you communicate this message to Bord Fáilte becuase they are still marketing their campaign of lies

Maybe they should update their pamphlets with the truth of modern Ireland:

Bord Fáilte changed their name 9 nine years ago.

If you don't know the name how do you know the campaigns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Umm, Ireland is my home.

Really?!

Only in Dublin do you really see a large population of people from other countries. Even then 9 out of every 10 people are Irish on Dublin streets.
    How many Nigerians you see are actually asylum seekers? Or do you immediately assume every Nigerian is an asylum seeker? Most Nigerians are working professions and many also have Irish citizenship.

It's actually been a long time since I've seen a Roma gypsy in the city either. They all seemed to have gone elsewhere since the recession. Yes I do see more homeless people and beggars but most seem to be Irish to me.

Then go outside Dublin into the smaller towns and you'll rarely come across any foreign/immigrant people. Yes there might be a small minority of them, but they're nowhere as rampant as you put it out to be.

You might see many foreign people working in Hospitals as doctors and nurses and that's because the HSE needs more doctors and nurses, so they're not really "taking your jobs". And again if anyone comes to visit Ireland, they're hardly gonna visit a hospital to get an image of the Irish culture and society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

SMASH THE UNIONS quoted four times in a row , if he's a windup merchant he's succeeding

I'm outta here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

First of all, we have a lousy climate. Now I know people do not come here for the weather, so it is not such a big issue.

Its really not as simple as that, like ye it rains a lot and we dont get that much sun, but going for a holiday to a place with weather like florida or texas and actually having to live there are completely different things, there is a lot of people that really do enjoy coming to the cool weather we have here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

The thread didnt start out that way...you turned it into another furriner bashing thread.

PS..by the way,Its "Discover Ireland" now,not Bord Failte

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I spent a week in Westport not too long ago and we had a brilliant holiday, just as good as anything you'd find abroad. We were lucky with the weather. Beautiful scenery, great people - what's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

wonton wrote: »
    Its really not as simple as that, like ye it rains a lot and we dont get that much sun, but going for a holiday to a place with weather like florida or texas and actually having to live there are completely different things, there is a lot of people that really do enjoy coming to the cool weather we have here.

Exactly, I'm a regular on another site and they can't believe I'm complaining about the mild weather we get. They can barely leave their house some days with the heat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

DB10 wrote: »
    As Dunphy said, this country is a kip. The education and training system is a disgrace. The amount of people doing utterly useless FAS courses these days for their 200 + euro allowance is huge. I would to if I could.

People need to breed more to survive, and cherish their own family members in successful positions who can provide them with employment.

Education and Law is a pointless in this country. Due to its size, its all about connections. You can do practically anything with enough money/contacts.

Have you been sniffing Tippex ?

^He is right to a fair extent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

^He is right to a fair extent...

Maybe in the context of another thread... FAS and education get slated in a thread about tourism.

mattjack wrote: »
    Maybe in the context of another thread... FAS and education get slated in a thread about tourism.

Maybe something to do with more people having the skills to run their own businesses and work in the hotel sector?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

So what does Ireland have to offer a tourist? I was in northern California for most of last year and I was asked to tell a work colleagues whose son was going on a European trip, where to go to in Ireland.
    I listed the usual in Dublin - Guinness brewery, St. Stephens Green, Croagh park, Temple bar (I wouldn't go near this place on a night out but it's great for the tourists - theres nothing like this in California.) Grafton street, TCD, book of Kells, Phoenix park etc.
    He was surprised that I could show him exactly where Bono lived (he's a big U2 fan).
    He was interested in architecture so there is plenty of Georgian architecture in Dublin with lots of history behind them - Four courts, customs house, bank of Ireland, Aras etc.
    Outside Dublin -Newgrange, Glendalough, The burren, Crough Patrick, Knocknaree in Sligo, Killarney, Galway, Connemara, Achill Island, Bogs (he didn't know what they were), castles, our national parks - there's plenty to see. They don't have sites like these anywhere in America, especially not with the history and scenery.
    He loved it here. It was his favourite place he visited in Europe and he loved the pubs, people - how easy we were to talk to and how genuine we are, and was amazed by Newgrange - he couldn't believe its not better known. He liked the scenery, and how green it all is (When I showed him my house on google maps he asked how I keep my garden so green, "sprinklers?"!).

I realised that I hadn't seen most of those places I recommended and have been making an effort to go see them since I made a special effort to go to all the tourist spots while in California. So far this year I've been to Newgrange, Glendalough, Castletown house, Dublin Castle, Knocknaree, Hill of Slane, Trim castle, walked a lot of Dublin city and been to a few museums to name a few things. I have been going to a different place at least once a month and its been great. So many places in Ireland I had not bothered my ar$e to see that are all a close(ish) drive to me and it took me travelling half way across the world and telling an American about them to realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thoker

Sounds racist but against Irish people so full steam ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Italy, don't go to fúcking naples what ever you do..

Ignore this. Go to Naples. It is stunning. Mostly so because it is real and gritty. Some people go to certain parts of Naples wearing rolex watches. These are the people who moan and bItch about the place.

nommm wrote: »
    I spent a week in Westport not too long ago and we had a brilliant holiday, just as good as anything you'd find abroad. We were lucky with the weather. Beautiful scenery, great people - what's not to like?
    All the foreigners! There's foreigners in the shops, waiting at restaurants, peeping out windows as you walk by. I saw an Akita dog there, they're not even native to Ireland never mind Westport. Don't get me started on them swallows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It's good to hear that some parts of Ireland are doing well in the pub trade. I guess the music is a huge plus.

Quality is variable, was surprised at Killarney as a major tourist spot had such poor live music, alright for half-pissed hen parties to dance to but not really that good and not representative of 'real' trad. Stumbled across a cracking band with a good range playing in a Kilkenny pub tho.

My major bugbear is why music has to be at ear-splitting volume here?? Having amps in a small pub where there clearly isn't a need. Seems to be peculiar to Ireland, noted bars in Boston/Montreal and elsewhere with music that you're not hoarse from shouting at the end of a night.

Otherwise, if I were a tourist would find prices in general, public transport and lack of activities outside of the main centres a drawback. Can't do much about weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

As many have said already...Ireland is a beautiful country and people like to come here to tour or to visit specific places of interest.

Ireland is a historical and magical and interesting place in many different parts and people find that fascinating, which is why they come. People also like to foster even the most tenuous links with their heritage, so leave them off....why not let them at it :)

What is the saying...If you could put a roof on it, it would be a great holiday destination...well...imho... it doesnt need a roof for it to be that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Tourist numbers are down because it still costs an arm and a leg to be a tourist in Ireland compared to other tourist destinations, and Ireland hasn't made much of an effort to compete in the tourist stakes, because the general attitude seems to be "This is Ireland, they'll come here whatever it costs". The reason that people don't come here is that it costs a lot less to visit a host of other countries.

Most countries have a pool of lowly-paid non-nationals in the tourist and accommodation industry, it's par for the course, so saying that tourists don't come here because of that is nonsense. Tourists still pile into "Shakespeare Country", despite the fact that they're tripping over foreign national workers when they go back to their hotels, or have meals in restaurants. If a tourist notices these people more than the tourist attractions, it doesn't say much for the tourist attractions in an area.

All the foreigners! There's foreigners in the shops, waiting at restaurants, peeping out windows as you walk by. I saw an Akita dog there, they're not even native to Ireland never mind Westport. Don't get me started on them swallows.

which swallows are you on about the African or the European?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Fuinseog wrote: »

:D

Fuinseog wrote: »
    They all look the same to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Leaving aside the latter years of political aspects, I'm proud of my country from tourist attractions alone. We have very many for such a small island. Many of them right on our very own doorstep or not far away from it.

There is a whole lot to see in this country - end of story on that.

O' and for the person giving out about Spanish and Italians working in some tourist shops, did it ever cross your mind before you sent off a letter of concern/complaint, that maybe it would be nice for visitors to come here and meet people that could sell them something over the counter, that is representative of Ireland but in doing so, can speak to them in their native language too and be understood more clearer?

There are advantages too to having a multicultural society - and when it comes to tourism, its a definite advantage sometimes in that area alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement