Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland as a tourist destination!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Tourist numbers are down because it still costs an arm and a leg to be a tourist in Ireland compared to other tourist destinations, and Ireland hasn't made much of an effort to compete in the tourist stakes, because the general attitude seems to be "This is Ireland, they'll come here whatever it costs". The reason that people don't come here is that it costs a lot less to visit a host of other countries.

Most countries have a pool of lowly-paid non-nationals in the tourist and accommodation industry, it's par for the course, so saying that tourists don't come here because of that is nonsense. Tourists still pile into "Shakespeare Country", despite the fact that they're tripping over foreign national workers when they go back to their hotels, or have meals in restaurants. If a tourist notices these people more than the tourist attractions, it doesn't say much for the tourist attractions in an area.

Rural England is staffed, mostly, by English people. And tourists have said they don't like the fact that they get little contact with Irish people over here. Of course, its up to the sector itself to do whatever it wants to do with regards to that.

There is a lot to do in Ireland, however it is definitely best to have a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Rural England is staffed, mostly, by English people. And tourists have said they don't like the fact that they get little contact with Irish people over here.
    The UK has a very different housing set up to Ireland. You have your major cities where most people end up because that's where the work is. You don't have one off housing spreading the population all over the country. It's not surprising a small English town would have few foreigners because there's little scope for that town to expand to accommodate them. Although I've travelled and worked throughout the UK and there's few places I've been too that haven't gotten a few foreigners unless it's a complete back water altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Lads,I think we should all chip in and get SMASH THE UNIONS a "Seal the Borders" t-shirt.

Shur there is no Irish people working in Pubs,Hotels in Australia,Canada,UK,America etc.

Some of the stuff that he said is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,367 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Dublin is my favourite city in the world, not just speaking as an Eireophile (is that a word?) and general lover of Irish women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

They are not happy being greeted and served by foreigners for their whole holiday, hence tourists numbers are down.

Pricing ourselves out of the market during the boom followed immediately by a big ****-off global recsssion is why tourist numbers were down.

There back on an upward path again btw.

dmcronin wrote: »
    My major bugbear is why music has to be at ear-splitting volume here?? Having amps in a small pub where there clearly isn't a need. Seems to be peculiar to Ireland, noted bars in Boston/Montreal and elsewhere with music that you're not hoarse from shouting at the end of a night.

Yes, music should be no louder than a fancy restaurant. Or none. Live music is better not amplified too, if it is folk.

England is bad too. The arrangement of speakers is atrocious. I am often under the base speaker, and thats all you hear. thubba thubba thubba thunk.

they could be playing Enya, for all I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I love coming back to Ireland for a holiday, but its flipping expensive. Staying in a hotel and eating out is just crazy when you have a few kids in tow. Luckily I almost always stay with the mammy, but the weekly shop and off-license booze is far more expensive than the UK.

I couldn't believe it when shopping in Tesco came to near 200 euros for a trolley of groceries (no booze or luxury items)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dpqt

To hell with these yanks and their sense of entitlement. This is a real working country and people have things to do, we are not some offshore disneyland for the amusement of (particulary American) tourists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

ScumLord wrote: »
    I saw an Akita dog there, they're not even native to Ireland never mind Westport. Don't get me started on them swallows.

Grey squirrels

Coming in here and bothering our red squirrels

Kick em out! :mad:
    But then the bleeding hearts will start complaining and that they should be let stay :rolleyes:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Grey squirrels

Coming in here and bothering our red squirrels

Kick em out! :mad:
    But then the bleeding hearts will start complaining and that they should be let stay :rolleyes:

I would, actually, kick the grey squirrels out if possible. They are colonialists, not migrants. The red squirrels didn't invite them in, doing standard passport checks, and awarding a few too many visas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 dpqt

I would, actually, kick the grey squirrels out if possible. They are colonialists, not migrants. The red squirrels didn't invite them in, doing standard passport checks, and awarding a few too many visas.

Damn grey squirrels coming in here and taking our jobs and women, it's an outrage!

dpqt wrote: »
    Damn grey squirrels coming in here and taking our jobs and women, it's an outrage!

tumbleweed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

Clareboy wrote: »
    I have often wondered why anyone would want to spent ( or waste ) their hard earned money coming to Ireland as a tourist or holidaymaker.

First of all, we have a lousy climate. Now I know people do not come here for the weather, so it is not such a big issue.

The most off putting aspect about travelling in Ireland is the high cost of travel, food and accommodation, when compared to our target markets of the UK, USA and Western Europe.

Our once beautiful countryside has been ravaged by uncontrolled housing developement of the most ugly, vulgar and inappropriate styles.

Public transport is a joke or non-existant throughout large areas of rural Ireland.

Our once famous ' Cead Mile Failte ' and friendly banter has been considerably watered down with the employment of vast numbers of foreign nationals in the hospitality sector.

Many villages lack such basic facilities as a public toilet, coffee shop, children's playground or bus shelter.

Our motorways and main roads do not have picnic sites or service areas and we all know the reason for that.

Why would anyone want to visit Ireland?

Any visitors out there who would like to enlighten me!

Well, I work as a tour guide and here are the main reasons I hear from my tourists:
    1- Music. It doesn't matter if its rock, pop or trad, I get asked several times a tour about where to buy CDs or hear Irish music.
    2- Scenery. In fairness, when the sun is shining, Ireland is absolutely beautiful, it's just unfortunate that tourists don't check the climate information before they come.
    3- For Europeans, we're a bit mysterious. They learn about the UK and USA in their English classes in school but they don't really learn about us (though the French do a module about the Famine), so they feel a bit brave for coming here.
    4- The party atmosphere. They think they'll have mad craic in the pubs over here.

However, the lack of public toilets in Ireland are a disgrace! When I have a coach with 45 people I can't exactly sneak them into a hotel.
    As for too many foreign staff, I can't say I've noticed that in too many of the hotels my company use. It's generally middle-aged Irish women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Clareboy

savvyav wrote: »
    Well, I work as a tour guide and here are the main reasons I hear from my tourists:
    1- Music. It doesn't matter if its rock, pop or trad, I get asked several times a tour about where to buy CDs or hear Irish music.
    2- Scenery. In fairness, when the sun is shining, Ireland is absolutely beautiful, it's just unfortunate that tourists don't check the climate information before they come.
    3- For Europeans, we're a bit mysterious. They learn about the UK and USA in their English classes in school but they don't really learn about us (though the French do a module about the Famine), so they feel a bit brave for coming here.
    4- The party atmosphere. They think they'll have mad craic in the pubs over here.

However, the lack of public toilets in Ireland are a disgrace! When I have a coach with 45 people I can't exactly sneak them into a hotel.
    As for too many foreign staff, I can't say I've noticed that in too many of the hotels my company use. It's generally middle-aged Irish women.

As a tourism professional, your input is much appreciated. I can imagine how the lack of public toilets and service areas on main roads can make life difficult for tour guides and coach drivers. I also can imagine how the low barriers that have been put up at scenic carparks can be very awkward for coach drivers. Of course, putting up barriers and boulders is the usual spinless and gutless reaction of our local authorities to the Traveller problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭savvyav

No worries, before I started this job I always wondered the same thing. The toilets thing really bugs me as generally when you do manage to find public toilets they're an absolute disgrace and you're actually embarrassed to be sending people in there.
    :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Tourists come to Ireland expecting to interact with Irish people, hear the Irish accent, have the famous craic etc and instead they are faced with Nigerian taxi drivers, Pakistani shop assistants, Polish bar maids, Chinese waitresses etc etc. It's very possible to take a week long holiday and not interact with one Irish person at all. Anybody who thinks this isn't negatively affecting our tourist numbers is DELUDED.
    And if someone wanted a holiday in 1950s Ireland, they came too f*cking late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

True, look at Paris, nice in the centre of the city but a bit shítty around the outskirts and the people are horrible. Italy, don't go to fúcking naples what ever you do..
    grenache wrote: »
    Ignore this. Go to Naples. It is stunning. Mostly so because it is real and gritty. Some people go to certain parts of Naples wearing rolex watches. These are the people who moan and bItch about the place.

Was just going to write what you wrote, Grenache. Agreed. Naples is an incredible place. One of the best cities I've ever been to and people are fooking sound.

Dublin is my favourite city in the world, not just speaking as an Eireophile (is that a word?) and general lover of Irish women.

I don't blame you....we're amazing and I think most AH posters would agree with us on that one. :cool:

The Spanish are absolutely MAAAAAAD about Ireland. I can't state that enough. Most of my students have been there and love it and have been multiple times. Sometimes I feel slightly uncomfortable when they praise it so much and I sometimes doubt if it's justified but that's how they feel. They love the people, the countryside and the night life. After the match the other night, I was like a celebrity and was approached by about 6 or 7 different Spaniards (not trying to get fresh with me by the way ;) ) telling me how they've been there and how much they love it.

In most European cities right now you're going to be driven around in a taxi, served your McDonalds, checked into your hostel by an immigrant. It never takes away from my experience. Love seeing that mix of people anywhere. People expect that in this day and age. If people are expecting the Derby O'Gill experience, then they're fools. I didn't come to Spain believing everyone would be flamenco dancing and bullfighting on the streets 24/7 because I have a brain between my ears and open a paper now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

The one great undersold tourist attraction we have is our long summer days, coupled with our moderate climate. Last week I was enjoying sunshine at the Giants causeway at 10pm. Always pisses me off on a foreign holiday how rediculously short the day is. For a few hours it is rediculously hot, then as things start to cool down it suddenly gets dark.
    Basic facilities for tourists are badly needed here, most important of all are usable public toilets, and these need to stay open after 6pm. Australia has realised how important toilets are to people on the move, and have come up with a National Public Toilet Map http://www.toiletmap.gov.au also there are drinking fonts everywhere and open air showers at their beaches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Is there a skill shortage in the taxi industry that Non EU nationals can get licences to drive taxi's here?
    If they are EU and have fluent english and vetted by all means but Asian and Africans with poor english is annoying
    Saying that bad Irish taxi drivers need to be got rid of too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Eve_Dublin wrote: »

In most European cities right now you're going to be driven around in a taxi, served your McDonalds, checked into your hostel by an immigrant. It never takes away from my experience. Love seeing that mix of people anywhere. People expect that in this day and age. If people are expecting the Derby O'Gill experience, then they're fools.

You might want to tell that to Bord Failte/Failte Ireland/Discover Ireland. They produce new viral advertisements each quarter and not one of their advertisements has featured a non indigenous Irish person. Not one.

Good article here;
    “The Celtic Tiger was no friend to tourism,” says Jim Deegan of Railtours Ireland. “We became too busy; tourism slid down the pecking order. Tourists were only getting in the way of us getting in the way of ourselves – whether it was roads, airports or public transport. We started losing the welcome. We were meeting customers who were saying ‘You’re the first Irish we’ve met’. Now you see people going out of their way because they’re appreciative again.”

On the issue of the frosty fáilte, Shaun Quinn believes “it was partly because more international staff were being employed, but there was also an age factor. Women who were working in the home and wanted a part-time job in the industry were fantastic, even if their confidence was a bit low. Where you had teenagers or younger employees, that’s where you got the frosty fáilte. Maybe we all needed a jolt.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2009/0502/1224245821629.html

When I last worked in an Irish hotel there were 3 Irish staff out of 17, tiny hotel

And we were the highest paid even if we were doing the same job as the others
    As we knew our worth and as experienced staff wouldn't settle for minimum wage. When it came time to discuss money we pushed for what we could get.
    Wasn't a lot now but decent

Employers just love cheap labour and staff who won't speak up

Now it's gone even worse. Tough jobs like kitchen porter would get you a wage, now it'll get you 9 months on job bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

mikemac1 wrote: »

Now it's gone even worse. Tough jobs like kitchen porter would get you a wage, now it'll get you 9 months on job bridge.

Has a KP internship been offered on Job Bridge?:eek:

Can't find kitchen porter at the minute, have seen it before

Similar though
    Kitchen/Bar Assistant, why not just hire a commis chef. Or a young student

Would you like to be a porter in a hospital?
    Housekeeping Hospital Porter in Sandyford
    Would be similar enough work to what you do in a hotel. Not every task but lots of them
    That must be that Beacon place in Sandyford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Knew a few lads that worked as KP's out of need for a few bob quick. Ye need the patience of a saint, by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

IrishAm wrote: »
    You might want to tell that to Bord Failte/Failte Ireland/Discover Ireland. They produce new viral advertisements each quarter and not one of their advertisements has featured a non indigenous Irish person. Not one.

I don't think they show just how multicultural any country is in any tourist adverts anywhere though, except maybe the UK and the US although I'm not sure. They rarely show the reality in ANY advertising. If you believe the marketeers, you're a fool, as I said before. People should take what they see in all form of advertising with a pinch of salt. If they don't they're very naive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement