Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Art History 2012 Before/After**

• 12-06-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

So...any tips? What are you studying for it? Nervous?
    I'm so screwed for this exam...have a free day tomorrow though so I'll be doing a lot of cramming..
    Think I'll do High crosses, newgrange, iron and bronze age, Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Caravaggio, Vermeer and Van Gogh...and of course the appreciation...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

What is everyone doing for the appreciation? I really have no idea what to study for that. I have a good background in design so that should be enough, right? Right..? I mean, we are just appreciating. :D

Also, if I wanted to History, I would have done History. I'm not really sure why this applies to art in general. Of course I see the benefit in looking at how old masters painted but the reasons behind it and the circumstances don't really affect how I draw. Still though, it is quite interesting.

@Op, this is in the front of my Less Stress, More Succes. It provides a pretty comprehensive and concise summary of the paper:

JQ17m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭FinnD

Don't know where to start for this, haven't done art history in so long :/

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Haha im making art appreciation up on the spot couldn't be arsed preparing for that crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Wanchor wrote: »
    What is everyone doing for the appreciation? I really have no idea what to study for that. I have a good background in design so that should be enough, right? Right..? I mean, we are just appreciating. :D

Also, if I wanted to History, I would have done History. I'm not really sure why this applies to art in general. Of course I see the benefit in looking at how old masters painted but the reasons behind it and the circumstances don't really affect how I draw. Still though, it is quite interesting.

@Op, this is in the front of my Less Stress, More Succes. It provides a pretty comprehensive and concise summary of the paper:

JQ17m.jpg

They should really include some good info. in the appreciation section, and maybe have some sample essays too :D I know the new red one has but I already had this one bought so wasn't arsed to get another :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

Does anyone have any info about test... Like recommended pages, timing, structure essays. I havent a clue :-( it's so unfair because I got an A2 in my actual art in the mocks but got 50% in art history.. It put my overall grade down to lyk 70.... And I think that's going to happen me in my leaving :(. Also does anyone have sample answers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Mani09 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any info about test... Like recommended pages, timing, structure essays. I havent a clue :-( it's so unfair because I got an A2 in my actual art in the mocks but got 50% in art history.. It put my overall grade down to lyk 70.... And I think that's going to happen me in my leaving :(. Also does anyone have sample answers

My teacher said 3-4 pages including drawings, so it's not that bad cause they take up a lot of space. There are three questions that you have to do so I'd say spend about 45minutes on each because each is worth the same amount of marks (50m)
    There is no particular structure to the essay...just answer the questions and give your opinion as well...
    If they say describe something, they usually give a list of what to refer to (techniques used, the motifs, etc.) so don't forget to refer to them! People often forget to put in the function as well - put it in even if they don't ask you!
    And yeah...if you know your facts, it's grand...

Schonie wrote: »

My teacher said 3-4 pages including drawings, so it's not that bad cause they take up a lot of space. There are three questions that you have to do so I'd say spend about 45minutes on each because each is worth the same amount of marks (50m)
    There is no particular structure to the essay...just answer the questions and give your opinion as well...
    If they say describe something, they usually give a list of what to refer to (techniques used, the motifs, etc.) so don't forget to refer to them! People often forget to put in the function as well - put it in even if they don't ask you!
    And yeah...if you know your facts, it's grand...
    But I don't know my facts :(. Just going to cram tomorrow morning and about 4 hours today....,.. Any predictions :). Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I really think High crosses is going to come up for Irish.. Hoping too :P

That guy who predicts subjects on YouTube has one up for art now.. It may help a little :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFb_T4hrkjE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But I don't know my facts :(. Just going to cram tomorrow morning and about 4 hours today....,.. Any predictions :). Thanks

I don't know my facts either:D...Trying to cram them in my head now but I feel like my brain is equivalent to scrambled eggs now:o
    There was a question on Newgrange last year but not a lot of people caught on to that so I think there is a chance that Newgrange might come up again this year...
    I'm also learning High Crosses..I'm thinking about learning manuscripts as well, even though they came up last year because of the way the exams are going this year...
    I'd also know my metalwork because it comes up almost every year, but if you know an answer to another question, I'd steer clear of the illustrated questions because you can't really draw anything but the thing that's illustrated on the sheet so you are really just copying...but if you don't know anything else, just try to label your drawings and maybe do some close-ups of the decoration...
    We didn't do architecture so I can't really predict anything in there...

For the European, just learn some of the artists you did in school...usually you'd find something that will fit in the list question...
    If you are trying to predict artists for the other Qs, Caravaggio hasn't come up for 3 years, Picasso for 3years, Giotto for 5years, Eyck for 5years, Titian for 3years, Rubens for 5years,Degas for 3years and Van Gogh hasn't come up in a while either...just pick the ones you did in class...I'm doing Caravaggio, Picasso and Van Gogh as well as Da Vinci...and if I have time, Durer - if self-portrait comes up for the list..

And for appreciation, we haven't done anything else than gallery visis, so I can't really help you with that...:)
    If you're doing the gallery Q, just have have that prepared and 3works that you've seen there and a contrast of it to a small exhibition...and how would you use it to do your own exhibition...

Wow...this is long lol...sorry:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

The only chapters we've done is Newgrange, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Romanesque & Gothic.. Should I be okay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 hugokatie

im thinkin bronze age, manuscripts, high crosses, osbourne...donatello, van eyke and botticelli no reason why, jst my gut feeling ha , well il know if i was right or rong tomoro i spose ha

The only chapters we've done is Newgrange, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Romanesque & Gothic.. Should I be okay?
    I'd say so:)

There are some here: click

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GrahamH220

Really hoping Impressionism and High Crosses come up. Have Manet learned to a tee!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

My teacher showed my class this really good website. It has info on everything (except maybe the appreciation) http://www.visual-arts-cork.com/

What are examples stone crosses? Carndonagh, Fahan Mura.. And what else? Looking at a marking scheme that requires 3.. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Would studying:

Stone Age/Iron Age/ Bronze Age

Claude Monet
    Vincent Van Gogh
    Edgar Degas
    Paul Gauguin

Be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭FreeFallin94

Would stained glass windows be important to know for the Gothic section? Have nothing on them!

What are examples stone crosses? Carndonagh, Fahan Mura.. And what else? Looking at a marking scheme that requires 3.. :/

Duvillaun Slab, Reask Pillar, Aiglish Pillar, Turoe Stone (that's pre-christian)
    and High crosses - the crosses at Ahenny, Cross of Moone, Cross of Muireadach

This is going to sound stupid haha, but I genuinely don't know what to study.. What's everyone else doing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Ahenny high cross, Co. Tipperary.
    Cross of Moone, Co. Kildare.
    Muiredach's Cross, Monasterboice in Co. Louth.

My exam is only a good few feet away from one of the high crosses on the course. I'll just take a stroll tomorrow morning then so. :3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

So much to revise so little time :/
    I'm only revising Leo, Bottichelli, Massachio, Gitto, Raphael, Renoir, Degas, Monet, Manet, Stone crosses, Bronze age, newgrange.. and film and gallery q :)

Tell me about it! I actually don't know what to be looking at.. My teacher really was useless, great for the practical :) but useless at teaching the history.. Never even got the appreciation started like.. :/

Any predictions for European ?

Any predictions for European ?
    Giotto, Caravaggio, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Picasso, Degas, Eyck, Rubens, Titian

I'm personally doing Caravaggio, Van Gogh, Da Vinci and Picasso...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pattttyy

i hope to god bronze age/iron age or newgrange come up...and for the european i know leonardo and giotto really well and kinda know picasso and michaelangelo...appreciation pfffffffft.. i hope thats enough..i wana be one of those 1.3% who get an A

I doubt Newgrange will come up.. I know it did come up last year, and there's nothing stopping it again.. I just think it's so unlikely :/

I doubt Newgrange will come up.. I know it did come up last year, and there's nothing stopping it again.. I just think it's so unlikely :/

Yeah...but my teacher said that many people kinda didn't know it was Newgrange so it might come up again...but I guess the chances are still small

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pattttyy

if you dont know your stuff at this stage..well.....................good luck is all i can say

I swear, High crosses better come up tomorrow :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 ismiseaoife

Does anyone have any differences between romanesque & gothic?

Advertisement