Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Art History 2012 Before/After**

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

So that was grand. Appreciation a bit iffy but otherwise, great. To the dude who suggested Carivaggio, I think you may have saved me 30+ points and I thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Oh god i seriously was handy ****ing bricks going in then i wrote like 11 pages (including sketches). I did the fibula/sun disc then i did the question on masaccio. The appreciation was **** i was very tempted to do the coin question but instead i wrote two pages on the work office at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 shenerd

I did the megalithic/iron age stone carving which was kind of shakey and a bit short :( but what's done is done. Glad Masaccio came up! and really liked the exhibition question! so overall not too bad, was secretly hoping for an A1 but don't think that's gonna happen now, but it could have been worse...

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

That was actually okay...Did the stone carving on megalithic/iron age, caravaggio (loved that one) and the gallery Q which was a bit iffy but I wrote 3pages and havent finished it...but otherwise it was grand..very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Lamie

Nice paper. Loved the da Vinci question. So annoyed I mixed up the Cross of scripture with the Muiredach Cross. There goes my A:( Oh well onto physics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

What was that second High cross? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Did the High Crosses, the Masaccio and the coin questions. That coin question only got two pages and it was such a horrible product design question. :/ I wasn't able to name one of the crosses, but I talked about it other than that, so I'd only lose about five marks, right?

What was that second High cross? :/

Crosses were Scripture Cross and Dysert O'Dea Cross

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Art teacher abroad needs to know what came up on honours and ordinary paper, can a kind soul post first couple of questions and gallery question........pretty please. ? Quote=Wanchor;79206165]So that was grand. Appreciation a bit iffy but otherwise, great. To the dude who suggested Carivaggio, I think you may have saved me 30+ points and I thank you.[/Quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Awh, I got the name of the second cross wrong :/ still talked about it though :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I just realized I confused Monet for Manet......FOR **** SAKE LIKE, WHY DO YE HAVE TO HAVE SUCH SIMILAR NAMES!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

I didn't have a clue for European art so wrote about surrealism for question 15..... Haha I realized after the exam that genre painting has nothing to do with surrealism .... Ah well there's nothing I can do about it now... Life goes on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30 flerg

Can someone please tell me what came up on the honours paper.......please! Gallery question and first 2 in each section.....Impressionism?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

If I talked about the crosses for 4 pages with sketches but referred to one as the Muiredach's cross and 'the second cross' will I still get marks for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

CiaranK wrote: »
    If I talked about the crosses for 4 pages with sketches but referred to one as the Muiredach's cross and 'the second cross' will I still get marks for it?

That's what I did too. I think it's only about five marks for not naming it as long as you did everything else. Check the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Vetton wrote: »
    That's what I did too. I think it's only about five marks for not naming it as long as you did everything else. Check the marking scheme.

Coola Boola, cause other than that I think it went well.

Edit: Turns out I got the name of the Caravaggio painting wrong too. There's so much stuff, I confuse the names so easily :(

flerg wrote: »
    Can someone please tell me what came up on the honours paper.......please! Gallery question and first 2 in each section.....Impressionism?

Overall
    Section 1;
    Stone carving from Megalithic - Iron age
    Bronze age metalwork
    Scripture Cross & Dysert O' Dea Cross
    Georgian Architecture
    Oisin Kelly
    Artists

Section 2;
    Sculpture x2 (Don't know what they are)
    Masaccio
    Da Vinci & another High Ren artist
    Caravaggio
    Turner
    Monet & Renoir + another Impressionist

Section 3;
    Gallery vs internet
    Aspects of film making

Gallery Question
    A vast array of art, craft, design, and heritage images is now available on the internet. Are visits to galleries/museums/heritage sites any longer central to the appreciation of such works? Give reasons for your answer while making reference to internet examples and two specific works from a named exhibition that you have visited.

Section 1
    1. Describe and discuss the development of stone carving in Ireland from the Megalithic Period to the Iron Age. In your answer include detailed reference to named examples and to form, decoration, and the techniques used in their production.
    and
    Discuss briefly the function of the examples you have chosen

2. Name and discuss the two objects which are illustrated on the accompanying sheet. Refer in your answer to function materials, skills, and decorative techniques.
    and
    Briefly describe two other types of metalwork from this period.

Section 2
    1. Name and discuss in detail the two sculptures illustrated on the accompanying sheet, making the periods in which they were produced, and to their themes, composition and style
    and
    Discuss briefly the role of sculpture in a named medieval church/cathedral that you have studied.

What did everyone do for Q1? (the stone carving one)
    I talked about the entrance stone in Newgrange and the Turoe stone...got 3 and a half pages, which is good for me since I have small writing:D

Oh and for Caravaggio I talked about the Supper at Emmaus that they gave us and also the other one that he did + another painting (the Crucifixion of St.Peter)...I did sketches for all three of them - do you think that might raise my mark a bit?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Schonie wrote: »
    Oh and for Caravaggio I talked about the Supper at Emmaus that they gave us and also the other one that he did + another painting (the Crucifixion of St.Peter)...I did sketches for all three of them - do you think that might raise my mark a bit?:)

I did the the Supper at Emmaus too except I spelled it Supper at Annus. >.< The examiner won't notice it's 'anus' with an extra 'n' right? ..right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

Deaaaaadly exam! went so well!
    Q on Bronze Metalwork, Q on Impression and Q1 on the appreciation! (which I only half did, ran out of time :( )
    but yeah hoping for a B2/B1 for the history anyways! :D

Wanchor wrote: »
    I did the the Supper at Emmaus too except I spelled it Supper at Annus. >.< The examiner won't notice it's 'anus' with an extra 'n' right? ..right?

:D If they will it doesn't really matter...it's only a few marks lost I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Duvet_Queen

flerg wrote: »
    Art teacher abroad needs to know what came up on honours and ordinary paper, can a kind soul post first couple of questions and gallery question........pretty please.

Flerg - If you go onto the State Examinations Commision website and click on exam material archive you can download the papers, complete with the photo sheet

Also examiners don't take marks off for spelling mistakes if its clear what the word is - so no need to worry about the 'anus' mishap

• Registered Users Posts: 7 pattttyy

talk about piss easy..got my 4 pages on the sun disc nd fibula not including sketches..sketches took up 3 pages..wrote 7 pages for lonardo you absolute beaut..and appreciation was allright..still did very good..got 3 pages on the shop design thingy...A ...come the **** at me..my top choice came up in irish and european..never smilled so much in my life when i saw the paper :):):)

Advertisement