Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for copying large number of files

Options
  • 12-06-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

So I've just bought a new 2TB drive and want to copy almost 1TB of files from an old drive to it (neither are OS drives, just data).

Obviously I could just drag and drop, but there's no logging there for things that go wrong, problems if it fails half way, etc.

Is there an application to help with this process?

Regards,

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

oceanclub wrote: »
    So I've just bought a new 2TB drive and want to copy almost 1TB of files from an old drive to it (neither are OS drives, just data).

Obviously I could just drag and drop, but there's no logging there for things that go wrong, problems if it fails half way, etc.

Is there an application to help with this process?

Regards,

P.
    There is a file copying programme on ninite.com. might be a bit better than windows one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

You can get that program TeraCopy directly from their site here;
    http://codesector.com/teracopy

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I'd go for something like this (free btw):
    http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/

Or rsync if its available for windows.

But then I'm usually transferring files around a network so not sure how they work if its a usb desktop drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

You could also try something like this :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

would work for the original copy - or just as a check afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I use a free Prog called AllwaySync to do exactly that for my TV stuff acorss two large drives. It has never let me down yet ;)

Open the Prog & it prompts you to choose the location of your first drive (in your case the one containing the data) then it prompts you to choose the second location (in your case the blank drive you wish to copy to). Give the job a name of your choice and away you go.

The beauty of it is that after the initial backup it only Syncs the difference between the two thereafter so is really fast from then on. It's extremity accurate too, it will instantly pickup up as much as a full stop removed from a Word Doc on either of the drives and put both in Sync.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Many thanks all. I eventually went with TeraCopy for this particular purpose and it did the job great, though the UI is slightly unintuitive. One nice thing is that it hooks into Explorer so any copies you do use it.

Copied the entire drive and did a CRC check on all the files, showing which ones failed (only ones whose pathname were greater than 255 characters did, which is to be expected).

AllwaySync sounds good for ongoing backups; I must check that out as well.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I actually use the paid version of AllwaySync as my main backup program, and do occasional cross-checks with freefilesync. Belt & Braces :)

The free version of AllwaySync has some file limits - which may not affect most people, but meant I needed the paid version.

Advertisement