Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General property questions and specifically about Athlone Institute of Technology

Options
  • 12-06-2012 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi everyone

Would be grateful for some advice. Looking to buy property to rent in Ireland (I'm Irish, but currently live in the UK; planning to move back home in a few years), and would be grateful for any info, please. Apologies in advance for the long list of questions!

• Most likely to be student accommodation - I've read up on Section 50, and it seems that this applies to non-residents as well; could someone confirm this?
    • Am also aware of the peculiar situation with tenants being asked to keep back the landlord's tax - as I'm hoping to have a relative manage the property and the rent will be paid into an Irish bank a/c, I believe this should alleviate this problem. Is this correct? Does anyone have any further advice on being (as 'Modern Irish History' used to put it) an absentee landlord?
    • Would be grateful for any info regarding possible charges to be incurred - property tax (€100?), rates, maintenance charges, bin collections, etc.
    • Also, what's the typical amount a letting agency would charge? As I mentioned, I'm hoping a relative will manage it, but I want to make sure I pay them a fair rate for doing it.
    • Most probable location so far would be near AIT (Limerick also possibility, but I'll put that in separate thread). Could I have your opinions on places to avoid? Have heard that anywhere with 'Willow' in the name is somewhere to stay away from, as well as the roads below that - Thornbury, Norwood, Meadowbrook, etc. Any others?
    • Opinions on this property? http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=648237
    • Opinions on Sarsfield Square as an area? Would this be too far out?
    • Is there a radius beyond which AIT students would be unlikely to look (for reasons of distance, difficulties in transport, etc)?
    • It seems there are some major problems with houses being very cold - does anyone know why this might be? I lived in enough perishing student houses not to want to inflict this on anyone else! Are they just really badly built, or is it that the building is basically sound, but they don't have proper insulation or double glazing? If the latter, what kind of price would I be looking at to put in new windows & doors and new insulation in, say, a typical 3 bdrm semi? And are there grants available?
    Any advice gratefully received!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi, can try to answer a few of your questions - I'm an engineer surveying properties in the midlands frequently (as I live in Rochfortbridge - not far from Athlone) I've also recently been looking at buying for my Daughter who is attending AIT / with an option on rental / or 2nd home in Athlone.
    mcallen wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Would be grateful for some advice. Looking to buy property to rent in Ireland (I'm Irish, but currently live in the UK; planning to move back home in a few years), and would be grateful for any info, please. Apologies in advance for the long list of questions!

• Most likely to be student accommodation - I've read up on Section 50, and it seems that this applies to non-residents as well; could someone confirm this?
    • Am also aware of the peculiar situation with tenants being asked to keep back the landlord's tax - as I'm hoping to have a relative manage the property and the rent will be paid into an Irish bank a/c, I believe this should alleviate this problem. Is this correct? Does anyone have any further advice on being (as 'Modern Irish History' used to put it) an absentee landlord?

I would't have anything relevant to add to the first 2 questions, - my primary reason for purchase wasn't the rental at this juncture, however I would suggest contacting the Tax office in Athlone, they have always been quite useful to me in the past (as much as a Tax office can be !! - and can help to clarify your obligations based on your situation etc.
    • Would be grateful for any info regarding possible charges to be incurred - property tax (€100?), rates, maintenance charges, bin collections, etc.

It being the Midlands, charges are not super high in respect of management company fees, bins, household (yes 100) and pending water rates etc. - A couple of thousand or there about's should see you ok for the year in total, give or take based on the estate your looking at
    • Also, what's the typical amount a letting agency would charge? As I mentioned, I'm hoping a relative will manage it, but I want to make sure I pay them a fair rate for doing it.

Normally one months rent in PCY - or there about's, I'd be happy to put you on to a couple of agents to get further detail in Athlone - P/m if you want details, my advice would be to shop around although, and some agents specialze in the rental sector in Student towns such as Athlone.
    • Most probable location so far would be near AIT (Limerick also possibility, but I'll put that in separate thread). Could I have your opinions on places to avoid? Have heard that anywhere with 'Willow' in the name is somewhere to stay away from, as well as the roads below that - Thornbury, Norwood, Meadowbrook, etc. Any others?

There are a number of 'black spots' in Athlone - Willow park, most surely, sarsfield sq, wouldn't be too keen on that either, and on the west side of town, the 'Batteries' or battery heights would be a no, no for me.

I know this development - It is almost on top of the college - so purely for a rental / student accom. - investment it would be ideal. I can't comment on the structures at this location as I've never survey'd for a client anything in there, overall its quite a busy spot, management of the development doesn't look bad and the business units are always occupied.
    • Is there a radius beyond which AIT students would be unlikely to look (for reasons of distance, difficulties in transport, etc)?

I don't think so - with in 15 / 20 mins of the college (which opens up nearly most of Athlone from Glasson down. Property gets mopped up for rental come start of term, and there are alot of homes to the rear of the college / ballymahon road. There also are some bus services in place.
    • It seems there are some major problems with houses being very cold - does anyone know why this might be? I lived in enough perishing student houses not to want to inflict this on anyone else! Are they just really badly built, or is it that the building is basically sound, but they don't have proper insulation or double glazing? If the latter, what kind of price would I be looking at to put in new windows & doors and new insulation in, say, a typical 3 bdrm semi? And are there grants available?
      Yes is the answer- insulation is out of sight and out of mind, lacking in many homes of recent times ! I'd like not to be replacing windows and doors as this will carry considerable expense - dependent on the no. of ope's or windows and doors in the property.
      Insulation, yes there are grants available - I'd suggest checking with the SEAI first if your non. resident or if its primary purpose is rental / 2nd home- you may be excluded - I believe so. Cost 3 bed semi - ball park for insulation 1500 - 1750

Hope this is useful,
    Regards,
    Mike F :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Hi everyone

I wouldnt have an answer for this

... or this..

As far as I know there are only certain places in the town where refuse is an agreement with a company... after that it is the normal General waste bin tickets (€8) and the same for recycling bins

I believe for student accommodation its roughly between 400 and 500 euros per month (Going on a basis of my friends, 4 guys x 50 quid a week, seems to be the case in alot of houses)

Ok, you have been told to stay away from Willow, but to be honest Willow is not a small place, there are Different areas of it, Student accomodation is normally Willow View, Willow Green, Old Willow and Willow Place, I have been in these houses on all avenues lets call them and the only damage or aggro I have ever seen is caused by students themselves, these areas are towards the front of Willow Park, its when you go further in, the trouble starts. The students are 99% of the time left alone, unless the provoke someone. There are no shortage of students to rent in Willow as for a student, it is party central, its an experience students want to repeat year after year because its the best experience to coincide with the college lifestyle.
      Croi Oige is basically next door to Willow park, there is a rode that wouldnt fit two cars on called Kilmachoo road which seperate it. All that area is inter connected somehow, all within 2 minutes from the front door of AIT. If your looking for something beside AIT but the opposite side to there altogether look at Cyprus Gardens, Hill Court and Carton Drive. There a 5 minute walk from the front door of AIT but at the back of the college, Willow would be at the front.

Sarsfield Square would be my side of town, 20 to 30 minute cycle, god I cycled that trek too many times, hills and more hills, Also its not a cheap taxi ride either, town is fairly congested these days and as we all know Taxis are allergic to the Dual Carriageway ;)

If you know Athlone, the absolute furthest students will live from the college is as far as a place called Wellmount Student Village which is just on the outskirts of the town centre, reason being, this student place is a 15 min walk from Willow/AIT, anywhere beyond this the students are "out of the loop", if you know Athlone this is on the Dublin Road (Beside Old Chadwicks which is now a furniture warehouse, Safe which is a new Petrol station where Mace used to be, Heavins the Hardware shop)

As for the cold I dunno, It is Ireland and in the last two years the cold has been horrific around certain times of the year! I think its the age of the houses, All these houses built around the college are older houses, I am hearing stories of where they were the place to be and live back in the hayday but now there among the most ages within the town. Most of these houses have quick fixes done, as they are really and truely not work a whole lot in the overall scheme of things, I mean in comparison to other areas of town which new development has just moved on to.

Hope This Helps You Out!

One last thing, houses in Willow are going for a rough 50,000 euro, the new Chinese Tech Hub is being situated within a 10 minute walk of AIT and the surrounding properties, Im no expert, but I believe prices of property within the surrounding area are due to rise, not telling you what to do or anything, but If I had the money to buy a house or two in Willow, and if there value were to increase by even 20,000 each with this new hub.... as the song goes "You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run"... I dont like to gamble, but we all like to make money! ;)

Food for thought! Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mcallen

Thanks ever so much for your answers, folks - you've been very helpful!

I'll put this here in case it'll help anyone else; after a bit more investigation, it seems Section 50 is a bit of a red herring - it only applies for 10 years after the property is built, so a lot of places don't have it anyway. It seems it's the sort of thing that it's great to have if you can get it, but it's not to be relied upon.

The household charges and so forth seem very reasonable (they're a heck of a lot higher here!).

Some specific points:
    Normally one months rent in PCY - or there about's, I'd be happy to put you on to a couple of agents to get further detail in Athlone - P/m if you want details, my advice would be to shop around although, and some agents specialze in the rental sector in Student towns such as Athlone.
    Right, that's about the same as here, then - 8-10%-ish of the rent. That would be great - sorry to sound like a right eejit, but how do I PM on this board? When I clicked on your name, there was a message box, but it didn't look it would be a PM!
    ]I don't think so - with in 15 / 20 mins of the college (which opens up nearly most of Athlone from Glasson down. Property gets mopped up for rental come start of term, and there are alot of homes to the rear of the college / ballymahon road. There also are some bus services in place.

Oh that's good - that's a wider area than we've been looking at, so that's very useful to know!
    Yes is the answer- insulation is out of sight and out of mind, lacking in many homes of recent times ! I'd like not to be replacing windows and doors as this will carry considerable expense - dependent on the no. of ope's or windows and doors in the property.
    Insulation, yes there are grants available - I'd suggest checking with the SEAI first if your non. resident or if its primary purpose is rental / 2nd home- you may be excluded - I believe so. Cost 3 bed semi - ball park for insulation 1500 - 1750
    Is that for roof and wall, or just roof only?

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Hope This Helps You Out!
    Ok, you have been told to stay away from Willow, but to be honest Willow is not a small place, there are Different areas of it, Student accomodation is normally Willow View, Willow Green, Old Willow and Willow Place, I have been in these houses on all avenues lets call them and the only damage or aggro I have ever seen is caused by students themselves, these areas are towards the front of Willow Park, its when you go further in, the trouble starts. The students are 99% of the time left alone, unless the provoke someone. There are no shortage of students to rent in Willow as for a student, it is party central, its an experience students want to repeat year after year because its the best experience to coincide with the college lifestyle.

That's very helpful, thanks. Looking at the map, I can see what you mean; there's a fairly long distance between the first couple of roads just below the Dublin Road, so the higher, the safer, it seems!
    If you know Athlone, the absolute furthest students will live from the college is as far as a place called Wellmount Student Village which is just on the outskirts of the town centre, reason being, this student place is a 15 min walk from Willow/AIT, anywhere beyond this the students are "out of the loop", if you know Athlone this is on the Dublin Road (Beside Old Chadwicks which is now a furniture warehouse, Safe which is a new Petrol station where Mace used to be, Heavins the Hardware shop)

Thanks! I don't know it that well at all, TBh, so this sort of thing is very useful to know. Heavins is marked on the map, in fact,so that gives me a good endpoint.
    Hope This Helps You Out!

One last thing, houses in Willow are going for a rough 50,000 euro, the new Chinese Tech Hub is being situated within a 10 minute walk of AIT and the surrounding properties, Im no expert, but I believe prices of property within the surrounding area are due to rise, not telling you what to do or anything, but If I had the money to buy a house or two in Willow, and if there value were to increase by even 20,000 each with this new hub.... as the song goes "You gotta know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away and know when to run"... I dont like to gamble, but we all like to make money! ;)

I had heard about that - I didn't realise it was so close to the college. We're looking primarily at rental yield and long-term investment, but still - if something's the right price...

• Advertisement

Some specific points:

Right, that's about the same as here, then - 8-10%-ish of the rent. That would be great - sorry to sound like a right eejit, but how do I PM on this board? When I clicked on your name, there was a message box, but it didn't look it would be a PM!

Oh that's good - that's a wider area than we've been looking at, so that's very useful to know!

Is that for roof and wall, or just roof only?

Hi Mcallen,
    I'll send you a p/m and you can just reply to it.
    - On the point of distance from the property to the college - there are a number of spots that are accessible via the bus link, or above the college on the hills - Cartontroy, Retreat road, Garycastle ( behind the college and between it and the N6). These are roads with new estates or small developments dotted around the place -
    Not every student has the same transport agenda, or financial restrictions - plenty have cars, bikes or mature students ( which make ideal tenants ) - have different criteria for rental than the majority that want to be on top of the college and in the center of attention.
    My Daughter for instance wouldn't mind a 20 min walk to college - and would leave the car and walk, ticking a box for her exercise regime - for that day !

I accept ghogie's point about the development in the daft link, it is adjacent to a lane way that is access to both the front and back of willow park.
    Don't get me wrong about willow park, I've a friend living in there - and yes the front of the park is preferable to the rear of it, however I can only go from personal experience - having rented there while working for Rhattigans building Athlone town center - and to be honest, not my cup of tea - and students talk about where there looking at, Willow park has not a great name, and therefore gets the dregs of the rentals come term time - or the inconsistent rentals . There are bargains to be had -I'm sure, but price usually reflects demand and / location's issues etc.

R/e the insulation of a home - yes roof ( roll out rockwool in attic space) and pumped bead in wall - you could push that figure up to 1800 - 2 K depending on the no. of ope's (windows etc) and the approx size of the home. Plus if qualifying for the SEAI grant - a BER cert is required to receive the grant payment - approx. €150 - 200 for BER cert.
    An easy way to get a price for a house your looking at - is when your looking at the property prior to purchase - your structural survey should point out the status of insulation in the attic, then ring around a couple of local insulation companys and ask for a ball park on the particular property.
    Mike F

Hi Mcallen,
    I'll send you a p/m and you can just reply to it.

Thanks!
    and students talk about where there looking at, Willow park has not a great name, and therefore gets the dregs of the rentals come term time - or the inconsistent rentals . There are bargains to be had -I'm sure, but price usually reflects demand and / location's issues etc.

Yep, it was the first place I was warned about!
    R/e the insulation of a home - yes roof ( roll out rockwool in attic space) and pumped bead in wall - you could push that figure up to 1800 - 2 K depending on the no. of ope's (windows etc) and the approx size of the home.

Similar to here then - that's good to know. I presume most of these houses have no CV insulation at all, so there wouldn't be any problem just getting it pumped in?

Thanks!

Yep, it was the first place I was warned about!

Similar to here then - that's good to know. I presume most of these houses have no CV insulation at all, so there wouldn't be any problem just getting it pumped in?

Hi - age is the governing factor - most with in the last 20 years have some insulate material attached to the inner leaf of block work (kingspan board type). _ pumping a wall to top up isn't an issue - just try not to go for the cheapest quote as the quality of work or material being pumped may not be certified and can lead to other issues such as damp - or cold patches if not pumped correctly.
    Ensure you block up vents (background ventilation) prior to allowing the insulation company pump - and then unblock vents and re apply the covers. Usually some newspaper in the vent will keep it free and air flowing after the job has been completed. etc.
    Mike f

Advertisement