Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glue or nail floor???

• 12-06-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Putting down semi solid oak wood flooring its 16mm thick according to shop specifications they said I can either glue it hence floating it or the other option is to nail it down with porternailer anybody any opinions on which would be best. The floor is being put on 150mmx23mm old flooring style boards. Obviously gluing would be alot handier but handier isnt always best cheers for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

glue it i think whats the advantage of nailing it.best of luck with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I dog along with glue along the tongue and groove and float the floor.
    Don't forget to lay the new floor at 90 degrees to the old boards. Spend time going over the old floor on your knees and check for anything that might interfere with the new one such as protruding nails, screw down or sand down boards which are cupping more than a couple of mm, fix squeaky boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

Hey Toshy,

in my opinion it depends if its upstairs or downstairs?
    If its up, you dont want to damage the ceiling below by hammering onto it.
    and if its down, I would much prefer to use portanailer, Much faster and less time on your knees. You can also walk on floor straight away without worrying about movement.

Advertisement