Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

25 extra points

• 12-06-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hey :D Just wondering how many of yee out there are considering doing honours maths for leaving cert now that the 25 extra points has been brought it ?? I want to get a fair idea of weather or not all that extra work you need to put in is worth it ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Depends on the course you want to do in college.

Courses based on Computers/Economics/Mechanical Engineering will go up in points due to the fact that a lot of people who want to do those courses will be doing HL maths.

If on the other hand, you are aiming for a course which dosent involve maths and the points aren't too high, then no it prob wouldn't be worth the effort.

The fact is that most of the people who get 440+ points do HL maths so if you are aiming for a course above those points, maths may be necessary

The fact is that you can get 100 points in maths if you get a B2, thats the same amount for an A1 in English.

I would say it is worth it, without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

definately worth it !! its 25 points :)
    +

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Not worth it. I did in 5th year and it dragged down all my subjects. The minute I moved to OL my average points went from like 400 to 580

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Depends entirely in your skill level, but stick with it for a while, I dropped from Higher to Ordinary about 3 weeks or so ago (2 weeks before we finished up), and im fairly confident I got an A2 in the OL, dont think I would have been able to if I didnt do Higher at all. So stick with it till the mocks, and then gague how well you did (I got 37% but decided not to risk it :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Dapics wrote: »
    The fact is that most of the people who get 440+ points do HL maths so if you are aiming for a course above those points, maths may be necessary

The fact is! :D I know a load of people who will get far above 440 who do pass Maths.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Depends on the person and their aptitude for maths; depends on the course they're applying for; etc.

One thing to remember: it's a lot easier to start with HL Maths and drop down if you find it's too tough than it is to start with OL and change your mind later ... even if it's only a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

A B3 is worth and A1 points wise, thus it brings your grade up. However it is a lot of work so your time may be better spent elsewhere if one is struggling.

In saying that I think its completely worth the effort and work. The asset of having higher level maths in the future for college and life in general is invaluable. The work you put in will make it so much easier if you're thinking of doing any kind of business degree etc.

Also, it keeps your options open regarding course choices etc, that require HL math.

Thus, for me it was totally worth the hard work, as maths is more of a subject you practice and gradually get better at. In saying that I have still to get my results!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

i'd say its worth it! il probably get a d1 or c3 so 80 or 85 points aint bad :D plus i did 7 honours, and really messed up one exam, so it was good to know i didnt have to count it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I dunno. I moved from pass to honours (for like 2 months) and back to pass.
    It's not that it was really hard. I got an A on a surprise test in the first week and they wouldnt let me move, but I knew personally it wasn't worth the effort.
    A lot of my friends doing honors suffered in other subjects and dropped. Even more dropped on the day of some exams. And they were in for extra maths at every possible minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 motorola1337

Thats the main reason i dropped to ordinary maths...after doing higher maths for all 5th year, and doing really well in it, it made ordinary maths in 6th year almost impossible not to get an A in...but all the other subjects suffered alot since i had to spend more time on maths than them as the course is really hard....once i moved i began getting A's in pass maths and also all my grades in other subjects went up alot too sicne i had more time to spend on them....

So if you are not going for a course where HL maths is compulsory, then no, its not worth the effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

If you can do higher level maths, then for the love of god do it!!! So many courses in postgrade do prefer it and some require it. I did pass maths and got an A2, some postgrade courses won't even look at me seeing as I do not have higher maths, despite me doing quite a bit of it in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

biohaiid wrote: »
    It's not that it was really hard. I got an A on a surprise test in the first week and they wouldnt let me move, but I knew personally it wasn't worth the effort.
    !

Honors math is hard, and no matter how many hours you put in what comes up on the day will call on your own personal logic.

The paper 2 2012 had topics which weren't on the syllabus, thus you have to be remotely mathematically minded in order to do the subject. As mentioned be fore worthwhile for me but indeed hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

I was always going to do honours maths, love it... the 25 extra points is just an extra bonus :D

Advertisement