Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

underlay for laminate flooring

• 12-06-2012 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭

hi
    i've bought 5mm thick floorlink soundtronic gold underlay. Not too sure if the gold side of the underlay is to go face down on top of the old floor (wooden floorboards) and the black foam faces up, or vice versa. If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated. Cant find any info on the web.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

think its gold side down,from what i can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Tom 1
    Gold side up.
    Nw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

hmmmmmmmmmm this seems to be the problem alright!
    cant get a definate answer on this and cant find the suppliers contact details. Bought it in doors and floors so gonna give them a bell in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Either way, metal side up will give better heat insulation, metal side down is for moisture protection, or so I was told anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 45 L1979

Hi Tom,
    The shiney side is a moisture barrior, required when placing timber on timber (less important with laminate) and should be placed shiney side down. So thats 2 to 1 then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Had a similar problem with some acoustic underlay - couldn't get a definitive answer until I rang the makers directly. I think the rule of thumb is to open the pack and whichever way it "naturally" unrolls is the way it should be laid (i.e. you shouldn't have to flip it over). Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

yeah rang the stockists today and they told me to install it shiny (gold) side down, which is the way it unrolls anyway. Thanks for all the help people!:) Time to lay some planks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭rossit

we have a winner best of luck lad

Advertisement