Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harry Redknapp has left Spurs... AVB next?

• 12-06-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

There was noise all day about it but it's snowballing pretty big right now.
    Dan Walker ‏@danwalkerbbc
    Rumours that Harry Redknapp has left Spurs. He was having talks with Levy yesterday and has been making those 'noises' recently

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Hodgson getting the sack maybe?:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Gutted if true. They might actually hire a decent manager now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I won't believe anything until it is confirmed by Dave Whelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

murpho999 wrote: »
    I won't believe anything until it is confirmed by Dave Whelan.

Haha

I could see Martinez/AVB being the front runners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Well I read about it here first on Boards so it must be true :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Harry Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Good news for Spurs if true.

If they get somebody tactically aware and proven like Benitez they could cement themselves ahead of the likes of Liverpool and Newcastle for years to come and may be able to compete with Arsenal on a more regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Harry's resignation letter..........................

AvNgCcwCQAAijs0.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Until he confirms it from his car window, I won't believe anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Doesn't look like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Harry Redknapp to ESPN: "No, I haven't resigned, this is an outrage...for people to be putting around this rumour on the internet."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I've been saying all along that he'll rock up at Chelsea even when people thought he was a lock for Engerland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

He is set to hold a press conference soon, all the media is outside the Spurs press room right now.

880144-rupert-murdoch-photographers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Didn't realize that the 87 went by White Heart Lane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So, after that statement its fairly clear he'll be gone by the end of th eummer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

gc-1.jpg

Somewhere this man is waiting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Has Levy finally put a lock on the chequebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Good news for Spurs if true.
    Great news IMO, despite what he has done for us.
    Has Levy finally put a lock on the chequebook?
    Finally? We've spent sweet fcuk all the past 2/3 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

So, after that statement its fairly clear he'll be gone by the end of th eummer

Can someone paste the statement? This is bad news for the rest of the EPL if true. Tottenham could make a serious charge with a proper manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Harry Redknapp to ESPN: "No, I haven't resigned, this is an outrage...for people to be putting around this rumour on the internet boards.ie."
    fixed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Remind me again where Spurs were before 'Arry took over?

Skirting relegation if memory serves.

Levy would only sack him if he had a replacement lined up, he's a very shrewd man. Also it's extremely unlikely he will be making any key decisions in the next few days considering his mother has only recently passed away. That's also the reason for no new developments regarding transfers, Harry's contract, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

And replace him with who exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

THFC wrote: »

I'd agree with that.

He's done very well to get you into the position of outside Champions League spot contenders/guaranteed Europa League. However, he can't take you any further and clubs such as Chelsea are unlikely to have as poor league campaigns for quite a while.

I'd imagine Spurs were gutted he didn't get the England job as it was an easy out for them. But Spurs could get a better manager now to push them further along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

plasmaguy wrote: »
    And replace him with who exactly?
    I reckon guardiola is a shoe in. Read somewhere hed love to manage spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Michael Laudrup
    Kenny Dalgish
    Rafa Benitez
    Ralf Rangnick
    Louis Van Gaal

Paully D wrote: »
    I'd agree with that.

He's done very well to get you into the position of outside Champions League spot contenders/guaranteed Europa League. However, he can't take you any further and clubs such as Chelsea are unlikely to have as poor league campaigns for quite a while.

I'd imagine Spurs were gutted he didn't get the England job as it was an easy out for them. But Spurs could get a better manager now to push them further along.
    I was disgusted when Roy was given the job, but opinion among Spurs supporters seems quite divided. From what I can see though a majority would want him gone, he's embarrassed himself in the media, went from saying there's no reason we shouldn't be challenging for the title back in January to saying that we're over-achieving being in fourth in April, and then expressing his support for Chelsea didn't exactly do much for him either. Apparently, all the players turned against him when he started shouting his mouth off about England, they felt betrayed and didn't want to play for him. He needs to go imo, I won't forget what he's done for us, but he's taken us as far as he can, we will not be able to challenge Arsenal and Chelsea for fourth with him at the helm.

Guardiola is taking a break from football, nay chance we'd get him this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Guardiola is taking a break from football, nay chance we'd get him this season.

Of course that's the only reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Finally? We've spent sweet fcuk all the past 2/3 seasons.

Nothing sends Harry running away quicker than a reluctance to spend.

Nothing sends Harry running away quicker than a reluctance to spend.
    Since the summer of 2009 we've spent a grand total of £58.5 million, and we've made £69 million from transfers. Our most expensive transfer was Peter Crouch for £9 million, and we sold him for a £1 million pound profit. You're talking out your hole, I don't even like Harry, but the figures show he has been given very little to spend for 6 transfer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't like Harry Redknapp, and I think he has run like the sun with the way Gareth Bale turned out, but I would concede that he has put togther a very strong squad with a reasonable net spend. It is very much his squad now too, so credit where credit is due. There is also no denying that they were quite hapless when he started the job and 3 and a half years later they are CL qualification contenders. He's done well.

That said, there is little doubt that he is tactically naive and, considering the position he has got them in, they could upgrade to a more experienced and cultured manager likely to take the good squad he has amassed and get it performing to a high level more consistently.

This is probably a natural enough time to make a change as a couple of key players from last year are likely not going to be around (Modric / Adeboyer), so there will be an opportunity to bring in some players over the summer and reshape things somewhat.

Where Redknapp goes from here if he does leave I'm not sure. I think CL level clubs would have concerns about his tactical nous and media handling, and I couldn't see him working outside of England. What that means I'm not too sure to be honest...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

boxer-lol.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't like Harry Redknapp, and I think he has run like the sun with the way Gareth Bale turned out, but I would concede that he has put togther a very strong squad with a reasonable net spend. It is very much his squad now too, so credit where credit is due. There is also no denying that they were quite hapless when he started the job and 3 and a half years later they are CL qualification contenders. He's done well.

That said, there is little doubt that he is tactically naive and, considering the position he has got them in, they could upgrade to a more experienced and cultured manager likely to take the good squad he has amassed and get it performing to a high level more consistently.

This is probably a natural enough time to make a change as a couple of key players from last year are likely not going to be around (Modric / Adeboyer), so there will be an opportunity to bring in some players over the summer and reshape things somewhat.

Where Redknapp goes from here if he does leave I'm not sure. I think CL level clubs would have concerns about his tactical nous and media handling, and I couldn't see him working outside of England. What that means I'm not too sure to be honest...

Him and Jamie become the true successors to Gray and Keys obv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Is it because Levy wants to cash in on Modric/Bale and Harry is sending a warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Levy's always been willing to cash in when the time is right. After all the hassle with 'Arry and the England job he'll have put a lot of thought into replacing him this Summer anyway. If the right manager were interested he might just opt for him rather than put 'Arry on another long-term contract. Unfortunately for Spurs fans this probably means a drawn out negotiation where 'Arry finally gets paid off late in the Summer after a couple of key players are sold with little time for his replacement to get started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He said recently on the BBC that he is in the last year of his contract and no talks had taken place yet with Levy, I'm sure he said Levy has some personal problems and he indicated talks would take place when the time was right that there was no rush.

Interesting to see what happens, I would agree with Luckylloyd in that he might have taken them as far as he can, and for Spurs it would be the best time now to try get someone who can improve on his success, but that is a massive gamble obviously.

As for Redknapp I can't see him stepping up anywhere, it is only going to be a step down if he stays in England, and since he never got offered the England job I can't see any future in that for him.

He'll probably end up staying at Spurs anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Surely it can only be bad for Spurs as a club to keep him on if he is going to walk at the end of the season? I just think it will have a negative effect on the players. Thinking about it there is no way Harry would ever resign because that would mean he loses out on some money. Maybe he wants to go and is playing a game of chicken waiting for Levy to sack him and get the pay off but Levy doesn't wanna do it.

It will be fascinating to see how this all plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

From what I heard from Harry yesterday there is definitely alot of friction there at the moment. His denial said that there is no way he'd quit. Of course he wouldn't as he wouldn't get a good pay off then. They will have to sack him to get rid of him if that's the way its going.

I reckon they will agree on a new contract soon and it will all be resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Richard Keys just tweeted 'Harrys Gone!'.

I assume it relates to Redknapp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Reports that he's parted ways with Spurs. Moyes is the favourite to take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Skysports reporting it now.

Probably got it off twitter though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Sky sports reporting it now...twitter claiming Benitez and Moyes as front runners

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

@SkyNewsBreak: Sky sources (ie: Twitter!): Harry Redknapp to leave Tottenham FC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Not Rafa please. :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Jamie has commented on the rumours.
    Not Jamie Redknapp ‏@LiterallyJamie
    Dad's philosophical about leaving Spurs. On one hand, he had unfinished business. But on the other, he had £800k on his departure at 14/1.
    Not Jamie Redknapp ‏@LiterallyJamie
    Dad would just like to say that the Holland job is a triffic job, but it's someone else's job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Right move for Spurs if it is a strategic decision. Redknapp doesn't have the tactical nous to take them to the next level.

Who are the early favourites do you reckon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Another funny tweet from Ian Macintosh
    Iain Macintosh ‏@iainmacintosh
    Working on tomorrow's paper. Can anyone recall how many points Spurs had when Redknapp arrived? And from how many games? *looks blank*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Right move for Spurs if it is a strategic decision. Redknapp doesn't have the tactical nous to take them to the next level.

Who are the early favourites do you reckon?

I think Moyles is the favorite already

• Advertisement
Advertisement