Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Market Research Ireland (MRI)

Options
  • 12-06-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I keep getting these phone calls from a company calling themselves Market Research Ireland (MRI) asking me to participate in a survey. I agreed to answer some questions to begin with until they wanted personal information i.e "name and profession of chief income earner in household" at which point I hung up..

When I asked how they got my number the guy said that it was picked at random and seemed reluctant to discuss it further. The number their calling from is certainly not Irish and I'm wondering has anybody out there come across this so called "research company"..I've googled the number that called me and I see some posts on forums in the US where the people have said that the company just hang up when calls are returned!..

Can anybody shed any light?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You could try the consumer issues forum instead:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=580

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

I know where you're coming from, Yamato. With all the scams around, it's extremely difficult to tell which call is legit and which is not.

I looked up Market Research Ireland online and I found out that there is indeed a company with that name. They even have their own official website. If you wish to check if the company did make the call, you can visit their website and get their phone number and call them or send them an email through the address posted there.

But if you're just curious and not really interested to participate, it's best to contact your telephone company and have the phone number blocked so you don't get any more calls.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 janiceross

I've had calls like that before and these callers always say it's a national survey and I'm required to participate. Well, I was willing. If it's gonna help the government improve the lives of their citizens, why not? But as soon as these callers tell me I get a free trip to the Bahamas, win a 5-day Caribbean cruise or become eligible to $10, 000 and a brand new car, I hang up. Now that becomes a scam and I knew better. I've read several reports at this consumer complaint site called CALLERCENTER and those things they tell you you're gonna get, they're all red flags. They're a scam tip-off.

And even if the caller never said anything about a reward, it's still suspicious when they ask for the name of the income earner. I don't think names of private individuals are required in surveys. It makes me think the survey is merely a ploy to get you to disclose information you wouldn't normally discuss with a stranger over the phone. So be cautious.

Advertisement