Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reardens bouncers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was a bouncer in Cork for a good while and did the doors of many city-centre spots, I never worked in Havanas though. Basically bouncers simply enforce the entrance policy pre-decided by the owners/management. In general, bouncers don't set themselves up as amateur sociologists who reject people based on their own personal preference. Rather they are told exactly the type of crowd wanted by the owner and try to regulate to that effect. Reardens' bar has a strong rural crowd and as such large groups of working class city people will more often than not be turned away from the door, ditto Eastern Europeans.

Similarly most clubs will be desperate to appeal to a more upmarket or "glamourous" clientele and as such conspicuously working class people in general will often find it difficult to gain entry into many nightspots in Cork. As for bouncers being rude to students on Thursday nights, that definitely goes on. Mostly for the reason that many of them are a f*cking nightmare to deal with and many of them are stuck up little sh*ts with an inflated sense of superiority, either that or just ignorant mucksavages away from home for the first time and committed to acting the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

FTA69 wrote: »
    I was a bouncer in Cork for a good while and did the doors of many city-centre spots, I never worked in Havanas though. Basically bouncers simply enforce the entrance policy pre-decided by the owners/management. In general, bouncers don't set themselves up as amateur sociologists who reject people based on their own personal preference. Rather they are told exactly the type of crowd wanted by the owner and try to regulate to that effect. Reardens' bar has a strong rural crowd and as such large groups of working class city people will more often than not be turned away from the door, ditto Eastern Europeans.

Similarly most clubs will be desperate to appeal to a more upmarket or "glamourous" clientele and as such conspicuously working class people in general will often find it difficult to gain entry into many nightspots in Cork. As for bouncers being rude to students on Thursday nights, that definitely goes on. Mostly for the reason that many of them are a f*cking nightmare to deal with and many of them are stuck up little sh*ts with an inflated sense of superiority, either that or just ignorant mucksavages away from home for the first time and committed to acting the arse.

I agree that a lot of students must be a pain in the arse but by the sounds of it the situation at Reardens seems excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

i go to reardons most saturday nights have done since i was 18 and never once had issues,

in fact i got talking to the reardons bouncers recently and they are quite nice guys! so much so i enjoy having a chat with them most nights im there.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

So this is a new word to put down on my cv ! mucksavages. How would u describe yourself . ? Yes there is obnoxious punters but u would think that the power trip of some of the bouncers can defeat the purpose of queuing for so long to get in there . U are better off been merry going in there to cope with the crowd trying to get a drink after getting thru security at the door . DAA and the airports should do a study on the means of rooting out the mucksavages from the first years getting there , and god forbid the ones that might want to go in there after a weeks work .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

was wondering how long it would take the facebook rant to make it here. its a good giggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Corkgirl1234

Can't be anything as bad as the Classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

My friend used to work there, Even he would agree with most of the above comments, Its a tough job because it only takes one eejit to hit someone and cause an injury and then the club will be hit with a claim and the bouncers will be in the shít with management as to why they left the eejit in and why they didn't they catch him etc.

It does remind me of an airport the way you have to queue like cattle to get to door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Thankfully We haven't been in there in years....(Reardons)

All because they don't want people in there with their tattoos showing. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

I went to school with one of the bouncers and he was a year behind me. Knows exactly who I am as we address each other by name. I'm in my early 30s and he, up until a couple of years ago,any time I went to the door he'd ID me. Found it funny at the start but 5 years of it is a joke. I don't go there any more and haven't for a while now.

snoopmadra wrote: »
    I went to school with one of the bouncers and he was a year behind me. Knows exactly who I am as we address each other by name. I'm in my early 30s and he, up until a couple of years ago,any time I went to the door he'd ID me. Found it funny at the start but 5 years of it is a joke. I don't go there any more and haven't for a while now.

Ok u have highlighted the complex those bouncers seem to have . It's not all that !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I think some of their behaviour is disgraceful. Its a known fact that when Havanas reaches capacity on Thursday nights they start throwing people out to let more in.

I was in there myself one particular night, in the bathroom. Another girl dropped a glass and smashed it, but I didn't see who did it. When the bouncer came in no one would own up to it and the 7-8 of us got thrown out. Absolute disgrace.

Another time I tried to get into Reardens on another Thursday, and despite having my passport and drivers license on me as ID I wasn't allowed in because I didn't have a college ID on me.

And just to clarify, I'm not a scumbag or a knacker, I dress fairly well (if I say so myself) and I don't cause or attract trouble.

The people on that thread are right, its not fair that queuing to get into a club is an unnerving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Bit off topic..

I was out with the lads from the rugby club on our christmas night out, around 11:30 one of the lads was turned away from the door at Reardans (obvious reasons :D ) The bouncer told him to go off and get something to eat. He came up to me inside about 15 minutes stinking of curry and chips, he said the bouncer just smiled and waved him in.

Most doormen I've come across in city centre and Douglas have been ok, but you will always get the odd grumpy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

To be fair one of the women who comes out with us is in there every week, she has two teenage daughters, and he id's her most weeks, i reckon they id those they know as they know they will get a bit of banter rather than the grief ive seen them get from asking for id from people clearly old enough to get in and to be seen by their bosses to be id'ing people.

that or he couldn't remember your name and was trying to sneakily get it from your id :p

WhiteRoses wrote: »

Another time I tried to get into Reardens on another Thursday, and despite having my passport and drivers license on me as ID I wasn't allowed in because I didn't have a college ID on me.

are you sure it wasn't a college night event where you needed college id to prove you are a student? ive been to one or two and i needed my college id along with my garda one. (mature student)

Bit off topic..

I was out with the lads from the rugby club on our christmas night out, around 11:30 one of the lads was turned away from the door at Reardans (obvious reasons :D ) The bouncer told him to go off and get something to eat. He came up to me inside about 15 minutes stinking of curry and chips, he said the bouncer just smiled and waved him in.

Most doormen I've come across in city centre and Douglas have been ok, but you will always get the odd grumpy one.

i agree! and ive seen the above happen (in gorbys at the time) loads of times where they'll come down with chips and curry and even offer the bouncers some! :pac:

but yes everyone has a bad day where you just don't want to be at work bouncers are no different! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I agree that a lot of students must be a pain in the arse but by the sounds of it the situation at Reardens seems excessive.

Jesus the student nights really are a nightmare like, on one hand some of them wander up blind drunk and upon refusal procede to lecture you for twenty minutes about how you are nothing but a jumped-up thug fit for collecting bins and how they're society's cream because they're doing a degree in literature or some codsh*t like that. What I found gas was that I myself was a UCC student while I was doing the doors! Aside from this crowd you just have some of them acting like they're 15 years old, breaking glasses, groping women, hassling other patrons, smoking, setting off fire extinguishers, causing damage, stealing, spitting, p*ssing everywhere, puking down the stairs etc.

Honestly, Cork can be a rough place but doing the doors on town on a Saturday night was a holiday compared to dealing with 800+ of bloody students.
    I think some of their behaviour is disgraceful. Its a known fact that when Havanas reaches capacity on Thursday nights they start throwing people out to let more in.

I was in there myself one particular night, in the bathroom. Another girl dropped a glass and smashed it, but I didn't see who did it. When the bouncer came in no one would own up to it and the 7-8 of us got thrown out. Absolute disgrace.

They don't kick people out to let more in, that's a bit of a myth. If anything they just let people in well over capacity. The latter incident sounds like a disgrace.

One thing that p*sses me off about Reardens is it's overtly racist door policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

You have to have a bit of it though, ya don't want the Classic or Havanas ending up like Mangans.

hoodwinked wrote: »
    To be fair one of the women who comes out with us is in there every week, she has two teenage daughters, and he id's her most weeks, i reckon they id those they know as they know they will get a bit of banter rather than the grief ive seen them get from asking for id from people clearly old enough to get in and to be seen by their bosses to be id'ing people.

that or he couldn't remember your name and was trying to sneakily get it from your id :p

started as a bit of banter maybe,but the joke wears thin after a few years and it was then startin to be asked with a smirk on his face.I know it was being done to rise me,but thank god it never worked!

it defo wasnt done to see my name as we'd know eachother well enough and when i'd walk up it usually went like 'alright ******,how are things? ya got ID?':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

started as a bit of banter maybe,but the joke wears thin after a few years and it was then startin to be asked with a smirk on his face.I know it was being done to rise me,but thank god it never worked!

it defo wasnt done to see my name as we'd know eachother well enough and when i'd walk up it usually went like 'alright ******,how are things? ya got ID?':rolleyes:

Well, did you ever actually say, "I do, but you've seen it before and know I'm old enough, do you really need to see it again?", in a non-confrontational way of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

hoodwinked wrote: »

are you sure it wasn't a college night event where you needed college id to prove you are a student? ive been to one or two and i needed my college id along with my garda one. (mature student)

It was last Summer so I don't think it was, but I suppose it is a possibility. Not sure if they do student nights during the Summer!

Two of my friends go to College of Commerce (whereas the rest of us go to Institutes of Technology/Universities) and they can never get in to Havanas on student nights. According to Havanas College of Commerce isn't a "real" college :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    It was last Summer so I don't think it was, but I suppose it is a possibility. Not sure if they do student nights during the Summer!

Two of my friends go to College of Commerce (whereas the rest of us go to Institutes of Technology/Universities) and they can never get in to Havanas on student nights. According to Havanas College of Commerce isn't a "real" college :rolleyes:

Why do ye still go there, so? If a pub/club refused my money because I didn't go to a "real" college, then they wouldn't get a second chance to refuse it. There are plenty of places in Cork where the staff treat their patrons with respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 drakkardnoir

people can complain all they want. i agree its an absolute disgrace. they have a policy of letting people queue for hours and hours and if a cork gaa player from under 21 up walks up they go straight in..also any good looking women that are smart enough to get on good terms with the bouncers can just walk up and skip the queue. its the skipping the queue over not letting people in that pisses me off. but people never learn. This so called "bouncer gate" will never come to anything, Reardons and Havanas will be full most nights of the week, especially student nights. People are too afraid they are going to miss out on something. Other places such as crane lane bailey and the wash are way better craic..but when it comes to nightclubs there is no competition for Havanas so why would they change their ways?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Im sure i have mentioned this before but when i was a student 4 of us went in there one day for a drink, they refused my garda i.d!
    they said full driving licence or passport, im not going to carry my passport around to please them and i didnt have a full licence at the time, its doing stupid things like that annoy me,
    I have never been back and that was 8 years ago:eek:,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

charlemont wrote: »
    My friend used to work there, Even he would agree with most of the above comments, Its a tough job because it only takes one eejit to hit someone and cause an injury and then the club will be hit with a claim and the bouncers will be in the shít with management as to why they left the eejit in and why they didn't they catch him etc.

It does remind me of an airport the way you have to queue like cattle to get to door.

That is the same as in every single bar and club in the country. But Reardens do refuse more than their fair share. As the adage goes, it's not about who you let in, but who you turn away.
    yenom wrote: »
    You have to have a bit of it though, ya don't want the Classic or Havanas ending up like Mangans.

Just because the people there aren't wearing Ben Sherman shirts doesn't make them any more classy than the mangans crowd, have you seen Havana's on a busy night? One of the only bars I've come close to getting a fight in because I "Stole" someones seat.
    people can complain all they want. i agree its an absolute disgrace. they have a policy of letting people queue for hours and hours and if a cork gaa player from under 21 up walks up they go straight in..also any good looking women that are smart enough to get on good terms with the bouncers can just walk up and skip the queue. its the skipping the queue over not letting people in that pisses me off. but people never learn. This so called "bouncer gate" will never come to anything, Reardons and Havanas will be full most nights of the week, especially student nights. People are too afraid they are going to miss out on something. Other places such as crane lane bailey and the wash are way better craic..but when it comes to nightclubs there is no competition for Havanas so why would they change their ways?

Bars SHOULD let regulars skip queues, they account for more income than these people out for one saturday night in 12.

When the Brog was busy on Thursday nights at the start of the school year me and my buddies would give a quick nod to the bouncer and get past the queue which goes around the corner, the simple fact is, we are there so often we are recognized, if not on a first name basis with the door staff, and for that we shouldn't have to stand in a half hour long queue with people who are barely there and spend so much less than us. Between four of my friends we would easily make up 20 grand a year minimum in the brog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

We go to Reardons/Havanas on minimum once a week and have never had any hassle. We chat away to the bouncers, management, staff alike they've all been fantastic to us. I've never experienced their rudeness or seen it second hand to be perfectly honest. They've a great reputation, so much so my mum said the only place she's happy to see me trot off to on a night out is Reardons or Havanas.

They won't lose business over this, in fact a lot of my friends on FB liked the comment yet they're in there week in, week out.

babo9 wrote: »
    Well, did you ever actually say, "I do, but you've seen it before and know I'm old enough, do you really need to see it again?", in a non-confrontational way of course.

course i have after a couple of times,but he still wanted it and the next time he would ask again.I know its done to rise me as once another bouncer on HBs door had left me in and he called me back and asked for ID.maybe if i had risen to it he might have got his thrill and never asked me again!or else i'd be barred!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuzz McG

If you don't like it, don't go there.

Plenty of other options in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

8 years ago I went on an early evening and asked if I could use the toilets. There was no queue at that point so I just asked the bouncer. His answer, he wouldn't let me in wearing trainers. If that's their policy I chose to go elsewhere. I haven't been back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I love the comments about how all cork bouncer are allegedly on "power trips". Obviously these people have never worked in a bar/club let alone visited one while not off their face. When you're working in a bar/club you'd be glad to have a solid security staff about the place as the fact of the matter is they create a safer enviornment for everyone, they're not just their to carry out grudges.

That said i've been shocked to hear what some bouncers have told me is the criteria they are given for letting people in. No norries, no poles, not too many blacks etc. Its a ****ty old job really.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Just because the people there aren't wearing Ben Sherman shirts doesn't make them any more classy than the mangans crowd, have you seen Havana's on a busy night? One of the only bars I've come close to getting a fight in because I "Stole" someones seat.

Alright fair enought but come on like, you know what I mean, Mangans is a knacker hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

The last time I was in there I have to say the bouncers were complete knobends...I dont normally go into Readons as Im not too into the night club scene but jesus I thought they were arseholes before but now i defo think so much worse of them..Wish I had complained the next day..

I understand that bouncers have to have some kinda ego or that they arent your friend attitude but they do not have to be dicks... I think the nicest ones I ever meet where the chaps who used to be on the door to nightclub next to the hairy lemon they done their job perfectly and I never remember then being nasty, as for Reardons and Havanas they have always been twats..

• Advertisement

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I love the comments about how all cork bouncer are allegedly on "power trips". Obviously these people have never worked in a bar/club let alone visited one while not off their face. When you're working in a bar/club you'd be glad to have a solid security staff about the place as the fact of the matter is they create a safer enviornment for everyone, they're not just their to carry out grudges.

That said i've been shocked to hear what some bouncers have told me is the criteria they are given for letting people in. No norries, no poles, not too many blacks etc. Its a ****ty old job really.

I have worked in a night club many moons ago and have seen how a good security team work . They have rules fine but as u can see from a sample of posters the boys here seem to like the look of u one week and others not . Really they end up bringing on trouble when the arguments start ... Why? Not to night ! Wasn't I wearing the same shoes last week . My ID u saw it last week u know my age . I'm 1 week older . The other bouncer left me through ???Bit childish of them really .. Loads other pubs .. Too little time....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement