Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Certification worth doing ?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I graduated a year ago and I still havent been able to get a developer position, I was thinking about getting Java certified but it costs 200-300 euro so I wouldnt want to pay that unless it would strengten my prospects of landing a job.

My Java is pretty strong so I dont think passing would be a problem but the money is a lot when on the dole. Any other suggestions on what I could do to enhance my employability would be appreciated, what I've been doing since leaving college is always a talking point in interviews and I havent done anything worth talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

CptPlanet wrote: »
    I graduated a year ago and I still havent been able to get a developer position, I was thinking about getting Java certified but it costs 200-300 euro so I wouldnt want to pay that unless it would strengten my prospects of landing a job.

My Java is pretty strong so I dont think passing would be a problem but the money is a lot when on the dole. Any other suggestions on what I could do to enhance my employability would be appreciated, what I've been doing since leaving college is always a talking point in interviews and I havent done anything worth talking about.

I'd say if your course is roughly IT/CS & you have some modules in Java, I wouldn't bother with it. As you say, your Java is strong so that will show in an interview test. & most places only look to certification to get you the interview — your CV should do that.

Re. what you've been doing since leaving college, if I were you I'd start contributing to an open-source project on Github/GoogleCode, etc. and putting up some demo stuff yourself.

Give yourself something to stand out. Maybe do a basic Android app (if you're looking for web agency work it's a good skill to have). One of my mates did one that when you're phone is ringing if you turn it over it will mute it using the Accelerometer. Very simple, but gave him an overview of Android apps & would be a good talking point in interview.

Another idea on the lines of committing to an open-source project is that you could get involved with a JSR (suggestions for the language by the community.) Again, something most people aren't doing, ups your knowledge and keeps your coding sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

I learned (as much as you can on your own in a few months) JEE which helped me get a job.

I would recommend trying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CptPlanet

Cheers for the suggestions lads, I think I can safely forget about certification then. I've been doing a little Android (nothing worth putting on the app store yet) and been doing some JEE. The problem is I've been working on brushing up my skill in a host of other areas too, maybe I should narrow my focus. I'll try get something on the app store ASAP and I'll work on my JEE.

I'd also like to get involved with some open source projects maybe I'll see if I can find an interesting project that lacks test cases or something.

At least one app on the app store and an open source project I can reference may be enough to stand out, cheers again for your input lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

CptPlanet wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestions lads, I think I can safely forget about certification then. I've been doing a little Android (nothing worth putting on the app store yet) and been doing some JEE. The problem is I've been working on brushing up my skill in a host of other areas too, maybe I should narrow my focus. I'll try get something on the app store ASAP and I'll work on my JEE.

I'd also like to get involved with some open source projects maybe I'll see if I can find an interesting project that lacks test cases or something.

At least one app on the app store and an open source project I can reference may be enough to stand out, cheers again for your input lads.

NP man, good luck with it. The other thing I'd say is to take a look at what the jobs specs are asking for. Take them with a pinch of salt obviously as they're mostly written by HR who expect people ti be experts with 5 years in Struts & responsive CSS... Hmm. But when you start to see patterns in specs of skills you're missing but everyone wants it can help fill the gaps in your own CV.

The other thing I say is maybe go along to some Java meet-ups if there are any nearby.

Not sure how many or often they are in Ireland at the minute, but by head of Java in work for instance is constantly at these things.

Gives a chance to have an informal chat with someone who might be giving the OK in hire/no hire decision.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well from my point of view, I travelled etc after my degree and masters, so it has been 2 years since I have done anything relevant, i think a java certificate would look good on my cv, so I am doing the OCPJP, just about finished the book. They seem to be very disapproving of my gap.

It was recently available to do on fas for free but doesnt seem to be anymore :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement