Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioscience in Carlow IT

• 12-06-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey, im looking into the Bioscience course in carlow IT and just wondering if anyone can give me information on what its like?, and is carlow a good spot to go to college, and what accommodation would you suggest?.

Please Help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I did it and loved it. I'm sure that if you mentioned my name to the lecturers then they'd remember me. I just completed my PhD in breast cancer in the UK, having got the Biosciences award in 2008 (followed by Bsc Honours Industrial Biology in 2009).

The material in the BSc Biosciences is highly interesting but there is a huge amount of it to get through. However, the lecturers are very down to Earth and want to pass you. So, they'll do their bit to help you along the way. Also, the class sizes are small, so it's easier to make friends and 'bond'.

Carlow down has a great night-life and during the academic term the population of the place is probably almost half-students.

Take care
    Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 4 alv

Hey Kevin,
    Thanks so much for replying, think i'll definitely do the course now!! :)
    Also what accommodation would you sugest?

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

No idea in relation to that ... I was living in Naas at the time and got the bus each morning and evening. There should be lots of places available around the town though. The college is located on Kilkenny Road, but there are many houses around.

Maybe have a look on gumtree dot ie (if it still exists...)

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Protagonist

I've just finished my third year of the course. Going on to do my final year this September.
    The first year you'll be doing a mixture of everything. Biology, Physics, Chemistry & Math. It's tough going, you'll have a lot more hours than other courses. Sometimes up to 30 hours per week.

As for accommodation, your best bet will be getting a room in a house around town. Most first years will probably stay in either Carraig Abhainn or Riverbank. Do NOT do that. Both of those will charge you twice as much for a smaller room than individual landlords. Plus security is ridiculous.
    Cheapest housing spots tend to be Millbrook (highly recommend), Granby Row (can get a little hectic) & College Green (****ty houses)
    I will be looking for a place with a few friends later in August. You're welcome to join the party in searching for a good house.

Jack

Advertisement