Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TulAmmo .223 Review

Options
  • 12-06-2012 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

There was a break in the rain this evening for a while so i said i would get out quickly to try this new ammo i picked up a couple of weeks ago, its called TulAmmo, its in .223 and costs 7euro for 20 rounds or 27euro for 100 rounds - very cheap.

I set up at a target @ 100M and got into position, as soon as i got comfortable down came the rain! Anyway I stayed at it, I had a bi-pod on the front and a bag holding up the rear.

firingpoint100m.jpg

Fired the first group of 3 rounds, this was probably the best of a bad lot staying under 1 inch (The red box is 2" squared)

1stgroup.jpg

Second group was the worst, 5 rounds fired at the 1 inch square box.

2ndgroup.jpg

Third group wasn't much better, 3 rounds at a 1 inch square box.

3rdgroup.jpg

Fourth Group was 55gr V-MAX just to compare.

4thgroup.jpg

Rifle
    Remington 700
    1 in 9 Twist
    Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
    A-TEC CMM-4 Moderator

Ammo
    TulAmmo .223 FMJ
    62 gr

Conclusion: At 7 euro I'm not sorry i picked up a box to try them out, but i wont be rushing out anytime soon to buy more.

Id be interested to see did anyone else try them and how they got on with them?

CS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

I wasnt expecting to see great groups when I read the price, but I have to say they'd probably be a grand plinking round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

For pinking thats a great price, where did you get it from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Do they only come in Fmj?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Comeraghshooter

Picked them up in Paul O'Hallorans in Drangan.
    Didn't see any HP only FMJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Do they only come in Fmj?
    Picked them up in Paul O'Hallorans in Drangan.
    Didn't see any HP only FMJ.
    Looks like I'll have too set up that road block again.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Ah no need for that!! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Nice review, would the poor groups be anything to do with the fact that your crap.:P

Nice review, would the poor groups be anything to do with the fact that your crap.:P

You may be right , I'll have to keep practicing! Won't be with TulAmmo though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Conclusion: At 7 euro I'm not sorry i picked up a box to try them out, but i wont be rushing out anytime soon to buy more.

Id be interested to see did anyone else try them and how they got on with them?
    CS,
    Tula looks to be the same quality of the other commie pinko rounds: Wolf, Bear, ...

True, it is a cheap date, fine when you just want to get out and make some noise. However, watch this stuff as its failure rate seems a bit high.

I haven't shot much of this commie stuff as of late. Although, I am guilty of force feeding it to my 9mm when I am out to put some holes in paper.

I have friends who have witnessed hang fires first hand and I had a bit of a scare. While loading another mag of 9mm I noticed that one round was very light - obviously something missing - powder? Who knows, it got pegged in to the duds barrel at the range. Would the primer have lodged a bullet in the barrel? Would I have been pulling the trigger fast or noticed it at all? Who knows...

Always confirm a hole after a shot. If a shot fires but "feels" weird, underpowered, or off, open that action and make sure you have a clear barrel.

This is probably standard shooting advice. But it's more conscious than sub on the few occasions that shoot the commie stuff - just not worth the rish any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Atlantic Sports in Carlow have them too. Same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The groups are hardly astonishing but for practising from field positions, they're perfectly fine. Not bad at all in fact. I'd buy an absolute tonne of that stuff for the money if I were you and go ring steel or practise from unfamiliar positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I don't know if I would agree IWM.
    For the price they would be good to practice hold, breathing and follow through.

You can see the vertical stringing at 100 yards from the most stable position with a rear bag.

Imagine you were practising shooting while kneeling:
    Fire 5 shots at 100 yards,
    Shots all over the place,
    Try change things around,
    Fire another 5 shots,
    Shots still all over the place.

My point being how can you practice a position when you can't see the improvements from moving you arm/leg/back/hand and getting into a more stable position when the ammo is all over the place.

I believe to practice positions you need ammo that will shoot good consistent groups in your rifle. That way when you do try to make changes to your position you will see the improvements on paper and know you are doing something right.

dev110 wrote: »
    For the price they would be good to practice hold, breathing and follow through.

You can see the vertical stringing at 100 yards from the most stable position with a rear bag.

Fire another 5 shots,

My point being how can you practice a position when you can't see the improvements from moving you arm/leg/back/hand and getting into a more stable position when the ammo is all over the place.

I believe to practice positions you need ammo that will shoot good consistent groups in your rifle. That way when you do try to make changes to your position you will see the improvements on paper and know you are doing something right.

Agree with you 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Fire another 5 shots,

I dunno, I think IWM has a point. For example, dry firing is a very helpful way to improve technique and there are no rounds, groups or paper involved.

Shooting cheap as chips ammo but not caring about the groups is kind of a middle ground.

I think there are certain things, like follow through, that you don't need group size to tell you if you've done it correctly or not. You either followed through or you didn't. It's just trigger time which ingrains them as habit.

I think very cheap ammo would help with those aspects of the shooting game.

Fire another 5 shots,

For a start, half inch groups are not necessary for hunting. If your chosen hunting ammo shot those 1.5" groups all day long, you'd never stress about killing a fox at 200 yards. Also, if you're shooting from field positions, let's say you can hold say three inches of wobble from sitting at 200 yards. The difference in potential group size is pretty miniscule between those two now, and most can't hold three inches from a field position other than prone at that range. Being brutally honest, if you were shooting one foot groups standing with that ammo at a hundred yards and thinking to yourself "If only I'd used the good ammo, the group would only be 11 inches" then you're kidding yourself. You shouldn't need groups to tell you how good your shooting mechanics are, but to get used to following through and managing the recoil better, cheap ammo like that is brilliant. And get away from groups, ditch the tape measures and calipers. Shoot at realistically sized targets until you're consistently putting rounds inside them, then go hunting. A handicap in training certainly won't hurt you when push comes to shove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

For a start, half inch groups are not necessary for hunting. If your chosen hunting ammo shot those 1.5" groups all day long, you'd never stress about killing a fox at 200 yards. Also, if you're shooting from field positions, let's say you can hold say three inches of wobble from sitting at 200 yards. The difference in potential group size is pretty miniscule between those two now, and most can't hold three inches from a field position other than prone at that range. Being brutally honest, if you were shooting one foot groups standing with that ammo at a hundred yards and thinking to yourself "If only I'd used the good ammo, the group would only be 11 inches" then you're kidding yourself. You shouldn't need groups to tell you how good your shooting mechanics are, but to get used to following through and managing the recoil better, cheap ammo like that is brilliant. And get away from groups, ditch the tape measures and calipers. Shoot at realistically sized targets until you're consistently putting rounds inside them, then go hunting. A handicap in training certainly won't hurt you when push comes to shove.
    I didn't say you needed half inch groups anywhere in my post. I said
    Dev110 wrote:
    shoot good consistent groups in your rifle
    I wouldn't call TulAmmo consistent where it goes from 1 inch to 3 inches at 100 yards.

1.5" is fine for fox but not so good for rabbits/crows/magpies etc at 200 yards where you might want to eat the rabbit so might need a head shot to minimise meat damage.

Obviously if you were shooting foot sized groups then good ammo won't make any difference.
    You shouldn't need groups to tell you how good your shooting mechanics are
    I don't agree with this at all tbh. How do you test your positions and ammo?
    Vegeta wrote: »
    I dunno, I think IWM has a point. For example, dry firing is a very helpful way to improve technique and there are no rounds, groups or paper involved.
    Dry firing is good when you have a good technique. But how do you get it?
    You can't just go out and expect to shoot standing without getting your technique first. Recoil from a CF could throw you off so how do you learn from that? Only from firing rounds and how do you know you are improving if your rifle won't consistently group the ammo?
    Shooting cheap as chips ammo but not caring about the groups is kind of a middle ground.

I think there are certain things, like follow through, that you don't need group size to tell you if you've done it correctly or not. You either followed through or you didn't. It's just trigger time which ingrains them as habit.

I think very cheap ammo would help with those aspects of the shooting game.
    but to get used to following through and managing the recoil better, cheap ammo like that is brilliant

That is what I said here
    dev110 wrote:

I didn't say you needed half inch groups anywhere in my post. I said

I wouldn't call TulAmmo consistent where it goes from 1 inch to 3 inches at 100 yards.

1.5" is fine for fox but not so good for rabbits/crows/magpies etc at 200 yards where you might want to eat the rabbit so might need a head shot to minimise meat damage.

Obviously if you were shooting foot sized groups then good ammo won't make any difference.

I don't agree with this at all tbh. How do you test your positions and ammo?

Dry firing is good when you have a good technique. But how do you get it?
    You can't just go out and expect to shoot standing without getting your technique first. Recoil from a CF could throw you off so how do you learn from that? Only from firing rounds and how do you know you are improving if your rifle won't consistently group the ammo?

That is what I said here

Personally, I'd shoot the hell out of it. About to log off here and go for a few hours of dry-firing through my positions with the target rifle. No ammo, but it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Personally, I'd shoot the hell out of it. About to log off here and go for a few hours of dry-firing through my positions with the target rifle. No ammo, but it works!

Stick up a picture of the groups!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

I wanted to take the 12g out on the 1 St. and had the day booked off..! i had a bad leg and was unable to walk around all day "Any Who" i wish i had seen this thread B4 i got five boxs of Tulammo .223 62 GR FMJ at €10 each and two boxs of WOLF .223 55 GR HP at €8.50 each in Drogheda i sent 40 rounds down a 100 meters and Not One hit my A4 size target i was sure my scope had been broken and tryed my iron sights still no good...!! So i had some spare Remington .223 55 GR FMJ i fired 8 of them and all in a 2" i've payed alot for the Rifle and Scope and to think if the ammo is crap the so is the Rifle.........
    Any body want to buy 100 rd.....? LoL......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Stick up a picture of the groups!:p

OUCH

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Bad grouping makes for bad confidence in your Rifle, Shooting, You, and/or Setup.

Whats the point of buying ammo just fro the bang from it. For about twice the price you'd pay for this sh!te ammo you can get American Eagle HP's @€;16 a box and get groups of under 1" @100m AND SEE where your hitting the target.
    A far better practice round IMO and great for foxing

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Tricky1127

I've used American Eagle very Good round well made and cheap to buy and B4 that day the rifle didn't care if i payed €30 per box or €11.50 i would get my grouping around 1" at 100 meters + i think my confidence was lost in the Scope/Rife because i didnt hit a 30cm by 21cm target at all after 40 goes.!

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭DogfoxCork

id imagine they would be quite good if they did a jacketed hollow point version. never found a consistent fmj imo. i wouldnt be shooting too much FMJ through your rifle mate, ive been told they dont do much good for the barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Lullymore24

DogfoxCork wrote: »
    id imagine they would be quite good if they did a jacketed hollow point version. never found a consistent fmj imo. i wouldnt be shooting too much FMJ through your rifle mate, ive been told they dont do much good for the barrel

???
    How would the nose of a round, which does not come in contact with the barrel affect the barrel???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

DogfoxCork wrote: »

In fairness the Lake City fmjs are not too bad. They are what they are. I wouldn't worry over the fmj bullets, they are no harder than JHP or ballistic tips.

It steel cases that can be hard on chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

223 cheaper than 17 hmr ??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Guys, you need the right barrel to shoot this 62gr ammo, or else you will not group.
    the op has a 1:9 twist, which should be adequate. vertical stringing usually means trigger or release need to be addressed.
    My T3 varmint is 1:8 and shoots OK with this, admittedly, bargain basement ammo.
    Most .223's are 1:12 twist and shoot best with 55gr and below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

yubabill1 wrote: »
    Guys, you need the right barrel to shoot this 62gr ammo, or else you will not group.
    the op has a 1:9 twist, which should be adequate. vertical stringing usually means trigger or release need to be addressed.
    My T3 varmint is 1:8 and shoots OK with this, admittedly, bargain basement ammo.
    Most .223's are 1:12 twist and shoot best with 55gr and below.

Agreed. My 1:9 shoots a little over MOA with this stuff. Not bad for the price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Am I right in being paranoid about putting steel cased rounds into an action..

I mean.. the seat is tight on brass but the brass forms..

steel on steel (of different varying strengths and dials I know) ..

I don't know.. I only send the known stuff down mine.

'hdz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

I have read US appraisals of this ammo which say the steel case is coated with a thin polymer film and as far as I can see, this appears to be so.
    Also, the chamber steel is likely much harder than the case steel, so the case will mar, rather than the chamber.

US guys recommend cleaning the chamber regularly, a small price to pay.

Lots of these guys complaining about the ammo being dirty, but I don't see a significant difference. However, I don't burn much ammo in a session.

If it's the seal you are worried about, steel will deform under pressure, too. I have noticed the shoulder angle is different with the Tulammo, but the seal seems identical to the brass on my spent cases.

Advertisement