Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this possible?

• 12-06-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

To study a science subject in college if you havent taken a subject for your leaving cert? The reason I didn't take Phys/Chems is due to the fact I wouldn't get the points I need compared to History but with all my focus on it I do feel I'd get it.

Like I said it is probably a stupid question but any chance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

CFC4lyfe wrote: »
    To study a science subject in college if you havent taken a subject for your leaving cert? The reason I didn't take Phys/Chems is due to the fact I wouldn't get the points I need compared to History but with all my focus on it I do feel I'd get it.

Like I said it is probably a stupid question but any chance?

It depends on what course you're looking at. If you follow this link on Qualifax, go to Leaving Cert subjects and in the drop down menu pick "A Science Subject". You'll get a list of courses that definitely do and do not need a science subject.

Usually for science courses in universities you will need to have done at least one. There are a few IT's there that don't need it. If the course you want needs one, you can always use the points from this year and just repeat your science subject next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭embereve

TBH why would you want to study science at third level if you weren't interested enough to do it at second level? Not 100% sure but would think that at least 1 science subject would be a requirement. It'd be very difficult to pick up 3 science subjects in uni with only a Junior Cert background.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

Thanks for the replys there lads.

And I am interested but Physics seems difficult to study along with seven other subjects so I decided to take History as I need as many points as I can get. I know people who took Phys/Chems and are having a struggle with. These people are smart aswell so that shows it can be tough.

It depends on what course you're looking at. If you follow this link on Qualifax, go to Leaving Cert subjects and in the drop down menu pick "A Science Subject". You'll get a list of courses that definitely do and do not need a science subject.

Usually for science courses in universities you will need to have done at least one. There are a few IT's there that don't need it. If the course you want needs one, you can always use the points from this year and just repeat your science subject next year.
    Thanks for the answer. About the repeating the science subject, I don't currently do one so how would I go about doing this? Do you think theres a possibility I could go to for example GMIT for a year and transfer if I pass Phys/Chems

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Of course its possible to do a degree in science without having studied the subject for the leaving cert.

The course doesn't require you to have studied it because its not needed. There usually is 2 streams of classes in college one for those who've studied it and others who need to go through the basics. ( at least that is the case for higher and OL math.)

However, you will be at a disadvantage in comparison to those who've studied this for leaving cert, but with a bit of effort and interest you should be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

CFC4lyfe wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer. About the repeating the science subject, I don't currently do one so how would I go about doing this? Do you think theres a possibility I could go to for example GMIT for a year and transfer if I pass Phys/Chems

Well you'd be repeating the Leaving Cert, but only for one subject (or if you wanted the background in another one, you could do 2, or all 3). You can use your points from this year (if they are enough) to get into the course, and then the repeat year would get you your requirements.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to transfer from an IT to a university...that would be a question to email the GMIT/university admissions office. Its probably unlikely, as to transfer from one course to another (unless you're reapplying through the CAO for the 2nd time) you might need to have got the points and requirements for the other course in the first place.

EDmon wrote: »
    Of course its possible to do a degree in science without having studied the subject for the leaving cert.

The course doesn't require you to have studied it because its not needed. There usually is 2 streams of classes in college one for those who've studied it and others who need to go through the basics. ( at least that is the case for higher and OL math.)

However, you will be at a disadvantage in comparison to those who've studied this for leaving cert, but with a bit of effort and interest you should be fine!

Although I havent been able to find one at University level, I got one in GMIT which is a level seven

http://www.gmit.ie/science/level-7-programmes/bsc-physics-instrument.html

With regards to modules, does it still leave open a few possibilities as far as careers go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

UCD & NUIG require at least 1 science subject, Trinity requires "HC3 In two of: physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, physics/chemistry, geology, geography, applied mathematics or agricultural science" so really you do need a science subject to get into Science!

Well you'd be repeating the Leaving Cert, but only for one subject (or if you wanted the background in another one, you could do 2, or all 3). You can use your points from this year (if they are enough) to get into the course, and then the repeat year would get you your requirements.

I'm not sure if you'd be able to transfer from an IT to a university...that would be a question to email the GMIT/university admissions office. Its probably unlikely, as to transfer from one course to another (unless you're reapplying through the CAO for the 2nd time) you might need to have got the points and requirements for the other course in the first place.

Thanks again.

You see thats what bothers me. With a bit of luck I expect to get 410 in the Leaving but because of a decision to help me get the points I won't get the desired one. Which is annoying.

Could I ask you to take a look at http://www.gmit.ie/science/level-7-programmes/bsc-physics-instrument.html to see if the modules are suitable to have a variety of careers to choose from at the end of the degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If you'rel looking for a physics degree and think you can get around 500 points then you could go for Theoretical Physics in Trinity. Only requirement for that is a HB3 in Maths

• Advertisement

Anita Blow wrote: »
    If you'rel looking for a physics degree and think you can get around 500 points then you could go for Theoretical Physics in Trinity. Only requirement for that is a HB3 in Maths
    Not a hope in getting 500 points. Not a hope. :P

Also, do Ordinary Level Maths aswell so not possible. But thanks alot for the help. Much appreciated.

Advertisement