Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Higher Level Classical Studies 2012***

• 12-06-2012 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

anyone?
    is anyone else doing classics on friday?
    what's everyone hoping will come up? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

I hope the philosopher questions are nice, hopefully no weird surprises like other exams...

As for the other topics, I'm good to go with almost anything :) hope the questions on the Medea and Oedipus the king are straight forward too...maybe a character question or two.

bazinga_ wrote: »
    i'm hoping for children in medea :rolleyes: hasn't been up in aaaages and it's really important.
    i really hate oedipus questions though... :( but they're the only two we do, and i left out oedipus in the mocks but i think it might be a bit dodge :/

Alexander???
    the alexander topic is easyyyyy though, I'd be surprised if it was something difficult or weird

how are you for timing:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Do ye have classical studies subjects in school or do ye do them on your own? I kinda wanted to do it, seems interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Hopefully any 2 of mutiny at opus, policy of fusion, battle of issus or granacuis and the siege if tyre come up for Alexander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I don't do classical studies, but I'm just wondering a few things. What is it? Is it easy? Could the course be learned on your own? Just curious.

Best of Luck in the exam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I don't do classical studies, but I'm just wondering a few things. What is it? Is it easy? Could the course be learned on your own? Just curious.

Best of Luck in the exam!

Don't do it alone!!(or at all) I liked the idea of it but I hate all the learning. Course is so broad. They really need to prescribe a better book for art and architecture too.Ugh so screwed for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JessiStar

My teacher said the SEC have overdone Alexander battles over the past few years so they shouldn't come up- good for me though because I'm awful at describing all the positions of the infantry, cavalry and officers :D

JessiStar wrote: »
    My teacher said the SEC have overdone Alexander battles over the past few years so they shouldn't come up- good for me though because I'm awful at describing all the positions of the infantry, cavalry and officers :D

Do you have any other tips? Our teacher said sieges and mutinies?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Can't get to grips with the architecture at all, way too much to remember, am sticking with the art and hoping for the best.
    Bit worried about the Alexander question the whole thing is so big.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ACBBFG

Helloxoxo wrote: »
    Do you have any other tips? Our teacher said sieges and mutinies?

My teacher thinks orientalism and conspiracies/ Callisthenes maybe. Also Hephaestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Zach_Douglas

Does anyone have any Alexander predictions??

The only predictions above are Alexander predictions

I sent them to you on fb zack ;)

how many pages do you guys write for each question...based on marks? how much for a 50,30 and 20?

I'm not doing art I'm just doing architecture and I'm only doing 3 temples

Can't wait to fail classical studies today

Helloxoxo wrote: »
    Can't wait to fail classical studies today
    Yea I'm fairly f* *ked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Cill94

What a lovely paper. Orientalism AND a general question on battles. So sexy :D

Such an easy paper! Definitely got the A :D

Handy enough paper pity I didn't study

• Advertisement

Dream of a paper, hoping for an A, could have done it with half the study!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eddie123

Such a nice paper my teacher is a genius it was exactly like the mock paper he made out for us :) almost all of his predictions came up to! how did everyone else find it?

I hope everyone didn't find it too easy otherwise the marking scheme might be stingy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

The paper was very good, the marking scheme will be pretty tough. Everyone in my class (15approx) were literally jumping for joy and if it's the same situation with other classics students around the country we're in for one hell of a marking scheme!

but regardless of the marking scheme,if the questions were answered correctly then they will award the points! I thought that if it was evident that a lot of students found the exam difficult then they would have to mark it easier to get the bell curve,im sure some people found it difficult,and that not everybody got an A or a B,therefore the exam will be marked fairly...if that makes any sense?

Hope so Eddie, I really feel I did an A1 paper, which will be my one and only, so hope they do not mess with the marks.

Such a good paper wish I'd studied my Odysessy and Aenied properly, then I would have gotten a handy A. Unfortunately before I had given up on studying it as I though the paper would be impossible!

Actually thinking about it more I don't think the marking scheme will get harder because Classical Studies has the highest failure rate and there will still be those people who tried to do it on their own and did absolutely no study and failed, so if the fails keep up then the marks won't get difficult, right?

yea exactly,at the start of the year my teacher told us that there was such a high failure rate because of the institute,they get students who have just came to them to take it up when they only have a year to learn everything and they tell them that its easy,they dont teach it to them properly and their students fail as a result,but sure,we'll just have to find out in August wont we!

• Advertisement

correction,not ALL of their their students fail of course,some do really well in their exam.

Advertisement