Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Higher Level Classical Studies 2012***

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

eddie123 wrote: »
    yea exactly,at the start of the year my teacher told us that there was such a high failure rate because of the institute,they get students who have just came to them to take it up when they only have a year to learn everything and they tell them that its easy,they dont teach it to them properly and their students fail as a result,but sure,we'll just have to find out in August wont we!

I understand the People who only take it for one year not doing well, but the teacher there is wonderful, his revision course was great and basically everything he predicted came up, especially in the art section, the statue, basilica etc he tipped them. But I think for essay questions people who only do it there mightn't understand how to do all the essays!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

yea exactly,at the start of the year my teacher told us that there was such a high failure rate because of the institute,they get students who have just came to them to take it up when they only have a year to learn everything and they tell them that its easy,they don't teach it to them properly and their students fail as a result,but sure,we'll just have to find out in August wont we!

Heh. It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish other teachers will come up with to slander the Institute.

Most of my Classics class came from IOE 5th year (where we of course did classics) and the rest of the class were repeats who had done classics for at least their previous 6th year (if not 5th year).

In 5th year we had a very intimate, small class. Using the books (Arrian, Plutarch etc). Annotating and underlining with an essay every week. We used an overhead projector for A+A and had regular class tests. This teacher also layed heavy emphasis on essay writing skills.
    In 6th year we had a new teacher, who used purely notes and overhead projectors. A weekly essay and regular tests. And, he predicted nearly the entire paper.

If you're under the impression we're not taught properly, and that we're the reason for the high failure rate you're in for a shock in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eddie123

Oh nop ive heard that the teachers in the institute are very good! I think what I ment was that people take up classics in 6th year because they dropped another subjects and they think that it will be easy,and of course it would be impossible to cover the whole course in a year,you get me?

SeanMadd wrote: »
    Do ye have classical studies subjects in school or do ye do them on your own? I kinda wanted to do it, seems interesting!
    No the majority of people have teachers,it is very interesting!but if you wanted to take it up its a very big course with a lot of detail involved,you would need a teacher to help you with art and architecture and to help you with essays,you would also need a good set of notes for each topic as the classics books can be a bit challenging and difficult to understand,otherwise I would advise you to take it up,It's very enjoyable!and of course its easier to study something you enjoy,I would advise you to do alexander,the plays,and the two epics:) but if you are unable to take up u.do subject for the lc not could study the subjects in college in an arts degree in galway or in maynooth :) hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Kelix

F9Devil wrote: »
    Heh. It never ceases to amaze me the rubbish other teachers will come up with to slander the Institute.

Most of my Classics class came from IOE 5th year (where we of course did classics) and the rest of the class were repeats who had done classics for at least their previous 6th year (if not 5th year).

In 5th year we had a very intimate, small class. Using the books (Arrian, Plutarch etc). Annotating and underlining with an essay every week. We used an overhead projector for A+A and had regular class tests. This teacher also layed heavy emphasis on essay writing skills.
    In 6th year we had a new teacher, who used purely notes and overhead projectors. A weekly essay and regular tests. And, he predicted nearly the entire paper.

If you're under the impression we're not taught properly, and that we're the reason for the high failure rate you're in for a shock in August.
    What did he teach you about essays? I didn't have a teacher so I just taught myself. Confident in my A though. I mean the only emphasis I can think of is to analyze when it says too and to explain when it says too etc because I know someone people don't do that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

No the majority of people have teachers,it is very interesting!but if you wanted to take it up its a very big course with a lot of detail involved,you would need a teacher to help you with art and architecture and to help you with essays,you would also need a good set of notes for each topic as the classics books can be a bit challenging and difficult to understand,otherwise I would advise you to take it up,It's very enjoyable!and of course its easier to study something you enjoy,I would advise you to do alexander,the plays,and the two epics:) but if you are unable to take up u.do subject for the lc not could study the subjects in college in an arts degree in galway or in maynooth :) hope this helps!

I was just curious :pac: Just finished the LC on friday so don't think I'll be taking it up any time soon! ;)

Well my teacher taught us how to lay it out how long it should be depending on the question,to underline greek and roman words,if the question asked is quite broad what aspects to emphasis,he marked them out of 50 and then told us what we were missing and what to put in to make it 50 out of 50 etc just the usual really.

Kelix wrote: »
    What did he teach you about essays?

Being "aggressively relevant". Basically he corrected our essays at college standard, an A was a big achievement. He took away marks for irrelevant material, and emphasized the question words and their meaning e.g. Account, Describe, Compare, Compare & Contrast... etc.

The importance of a leader sentence. Power words in characteristics; Ruthless, Compassionate.

Just the typical "How to write an essay" sort of stuff, enforced with an iron fist.

Underlining Greek and Roman(Latin) words? Jesus you poor man! The only Latin I know is primus inter pares.

yea just words like : virtus-manly courage eros-negative love,hubris-vein pride,xenia-hospitality,paterfamilias-father theme,pius-duty,polytropic-many wits,piuty-dutiful,nemesis-karma,polis-society etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

Being "aggressively relevant". Basically he corrected our essays at college standard, an A was a big achievement. He took away marks for irrelevant material, and emphasized the question words and their meaning e.g. Account, Describe, Compare, Compare & Contrast... etc.

The importance of a leader sentence. Power words in characteristics; Ruthless, Compassionate.

Just the typical "How to write an essay" sort of stuff, enforced with an iron fist.

Underlining Greek and Roman(Latin) words? Jesus you poor man! The only Latin I know is primus inter pares.
    Wow my teacher taught us nothing like that, he just explained the material and that's about it. I've been getting A's in tests and an A2 in the mocks???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

SlyBacon93 wrote: »

Wow my teacher taught us nothing like that, he just explained the material and that's about it. I've been getting A's in tests and an A2 in the mocks???

To be honest I don't understand why you'd be doing stuff like underlining greek and latin words it sounds a bit excessive. I've had 3 classics teachers and even the best one didn't do that kind of thing and most of us got good marks in the mocks
    Although I do agree you need to know what they're asking in give and account, or state the similarities/differences, compare/contrast etc

Classics mocks give no indication on what you get, seriously. I got 96% in my mock, half my class got over 90% and someone even got 100%. Ridiculous. It's all about essay writing and rigidly sticking to the question asked :)

Advertisement