Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

101 Sheep Questions

• 12-06-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I hope I am posting this in the right area! We are heavily considering adopting 2 ewe pet lambs. We got a flock number application and are having trouble understanding it. We received a info booklet and are also having a little trouble figuring out how much will pertain to us when the county comes to inspect the property. If some experienced sheep farmers could walk us through this process, or recommend an Irish specific site, I would so appreciate it.

We live on 1 acre of thrush green and have LL's blessing. We are most likely adopting from the animal rescue and have been slightly informed about foot rot and fly strike. What are the common treatments for these and how often do they occur here?

What should we definitely have before the sheep come to us?
    What does the dept of agriculture look for when checking out the property?
    Should we buy a shearer to shave the sheeps butt to prevent fly strike?
    Any tips in sheep care?
    Best and worst things about raising sheep?
    How much does it cost to shear a sheep?
    When should we shear?
    How much does a sheep vet visit normally cost (more or less than a normal visit)?
    What type of fencing is the best to use?
    The book says holding pens shouldn't be square... then what?
    Do they need hoof baths? (side note: What is a hoof bath and the purpose?)
    What is the best type of water dish to use? trough?
    Bathing a sheep... strange or necessary?
    How often do they need vaccinations, wormings etc(I am waiting to hear back from our vet for a livestock vet recommendation)?
    Where can I find a Shepherds Crook a la Little Bo Peep and Jesus? <--- kinda serious about this one.

The only farming knowledge I have comes from singing Old McDonald so I *really* appreciate any help, Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Jamerican,

Not sure if this is a genuine post or not, as its a bit odd, but will answer anyways... ;)
    Jamerican wrote: »
    I hope I am posting this in the right area! We are heavily considering adopting 2 ewe pet lambs. We got a flock number application and are having trouble understanding it. We received a info booklet and are also having a little trouble figuring out how much will pertain to us when the county comes to inspect the property. If some experienced sheep farmers could walk us through this process, or recommend an Irish specific site, I would so appreciate it.

Not sure whats involved in the inspection, so cant help there.
    We live on 1 acre of thrush green and have LL's blessing.
    Eh? What does this mean? :confused:
    We are most likely adopting from the animal rescue and have been slightly informed about foot rot and fly strike. What are the common treatments for these and how often do they occur here?
    Adopt sheep from the animal rescue? I wouldn't have thought you could do this (As in I would have thought sheep would just be sold in the mart or sent to the factory rather than animal rescue?)
    Fly strike - spray them with Clik, or Vetrazin, or Clikzin.
    If you have very small numbers, then you could get some Sheep dip, mix it in a watering can or a knapsack sprayer, and apply to the sheep. Do this a few times during the summer to keep flies away.
    Foot rot - different treatments are copper sulphate, zinc sulphate or formailin. I use copper sulphate for individual treatment. Mix it in an old washing-up liquid container, apply to sheeps feet if they are lame.

Should we buy a shearer to shave the sheeps butt to prevent fly strike?
    Buy a shears, like this

Any tips in sheep care?
    Accept they will do their utmost to escape :D

Best and worst things about raising sheep?
    They die

How much does it cost to shear a sheep?
    About 2euro

When should we shear?
    From now on.

How much does a sheep vet visit normally cost (more or less than a normal visit)?
    About 50 euro, but depends on what the vet has to do

What type of fencing is the best to use?
    Net fencing, or a few strands of electric fence.

The book says holding pens shouldn't be square... then what?
    What book? It can be easier to catch sheep in a pen that funnels to a point, maybe thats what the book means? :confused:

Do they need hoof baths? (side note: What is a hoof bath and the purpose?)
    Hoof bath to treat foot rot, not necessary for small numbers IMO

What is the best type of water dish to use? trough?
    Eh? Just use a bucket.

Bathing a sheep... strange or necessary?
    You mean dipping, the products above mean you dont have to.

How often do they need vaccinations, wormings etc(I am waiting to hear back from our vet for a livestock vet recommendation)?
    Cant give a one line answer, but you will need to dose.

Where can I find a Shepherds Crook a la Little Bo Peep and Jesus? <--- kinda serious about this one.
    See here. Am sure there are other places as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭brian_t

For general information on sheep you should visit the Teagasc site.

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/PublicationsBy.aspx

You can download a monthly Sheep newsletter amongst other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Jamerican

Hi Jamerican,

Not sure if this is a genuine post or not, as its a bit odd, but will answer anyways... ;)

[/B]

Thank you very much for your response, I am very genuine although I realize it does seem strange. (I promise I have better things to do than troll farmers online! lol) I've done some research online but was having trouble figuring out what is applicable to Ireland since most are in the US that I was reading. I just have many questions since I don't know much about sheep besides they baa and are cute. I think there is a sheep farmer down the road, but I'm not sure how to introduce myself without seeming like a weirdo.

To clarify, We live on an acre and we have the landlords permission. We only want two sheep. The rescue gets lambs that farmers don't want or are hurt. We can adopt two as long as we go through the proper channels with the dept of Agriculture. The dept told us they may send someone out to inspect the property but I don't know what their minimum requirements are. I imagine a pen, grass and water?

Some follow up questions:
    The info book that the dept of Agriculture sent out said sheep don't like square pens. We planned to cordon off a part of the back garden for them to stay at night and when we aren't home. I imagined that being pet sheep and being used to human contact they would be less inclined to run away constantly. <-- wishful thinking?

Where do you get all of the treatment items? Is that applied by a vet or something I should stock up on or call a vet when needed?

Do you need a flock number before you accept animals or is it something you can be in the process of getting?

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Thank you very much for your response, I am very genuine although I realize it does seem strange. (I promise I have better things to do than troll farmers online! lol) I've done some research online but was having trouble figuring out what is applicable to Ireland since most are in the US that I was reading. I just have many questions since I don't know much about sheep besides they baa and are cute. I think there is a sheep farmer down the road, but I'm not sure how to introduce myself without seeming like a weirdo.

To clarify, We live on an acre and we have the landlords permission. We only want two sheep. The rescue gets lambs that farmers don't want or are hurt. We can adopt two as long as we go through the proper channels with the dept of Agriculture. The dept told us they may send someone out to inspect the property but I don't know what their minimum requirements are. I imagine a pen, grass and water?

I assume you have seen this doc
    Again, not 100% - but I imagine a field with good fencing, water, place to put em inside if they become sick.

Some follow up questions:
    The info book that the dept of Agriculture sent out said sheep don't like square pens. We planned to cordon off a part of the back garden for them to stay at night and when we aren't home.
    Ring the Dept and as em what they mean.
    Might be useful to talk to the person who looks after the inspections in your area, and chat with them as to what they require.

I imagined that being pet sheep and being used to human contact they would be less inclined to run away constantly. <-- wishful thinking?
    Depends. We have had pets that would break out of fields to get to people, as they see people as food.
    If you put the pets with other sheep early enough, they learn from the other sheep to be wary of people.
    So - it depends...
    But as rule, yes, more contact with people would make em quieter yes.

Where do you get all of the treatment items? Is that applied by a vet or something I should stock up on or call a vet when needed?
    Call to your local stock health store or local chemist that sells vet items. Where in the country do you live, and maybe someone can recommend a place.

Do you need a flock number before you accept animals or is it something you can be in the process of getting?
    I imagine so. All sheep must be tagged now, and movements recorded.

Oh - and call to that local farmer, they will be more help than any amount of posting on the internet. Tell them you are thinking of getting some sheep, but you know little about em. Maybe you could learn from helping them. Ie - spending a day with them at their sheep sometime.

Advertisement