Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**D.C.G...Before/After**

• 12-06-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Might as well make this nice early.

Will gears come up?? What do you think? Any predictions??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 liverpoolskid

What would be fairly decent bets of coming up? I had the worst possible teacher so I need all the help I can get :D please! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Hoping for axonometric projection, planes, or interpenetration wouldn't even be too bad. Solids in contact should be fine too. And some nice A and C parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keyhole

this is the worst predictions page ever........ does anyone have any actual predictions and not just hoping? im seriously screwed for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Osric

Solids in contact, axonometric and interpenetration

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Im pretty screwed for this, but at least ive 5 days to study it... hoping for interpenetration, planes, CAMs.. not perspective :/

If anybody knows a place where traces of a plane are explained, will they tell me please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Its hard to predict what'll come up since its only been around for 3 years. Idk im just going to have everything prepared. As for traces i always take a guess its usually only 2 to 3 marks anyways. Unless its the easier vth traces cutting surfaces and stuff

Mista wrote: »
    Im pretty screwed for this, but at least ive 5 days to study it... hoping for interpenetration, planes, CAMs.. not perspective :/

If anybody knows a place where traces of a plane are explained, will they tell me please?

This website might be useful, if you haven't already seen it http://www.t4.ie/dcg_core_geometry.html

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

I rock at Solids in Contact, and Assemblies. Anything to do with straight forward spatial awareness is easy sailing. Need to do some work on Geologic Geometry though.

Here are some time savers for the exam:
    • Get some circle stencils for smaller radii.
    • Scribe two lines on the underside of your 45 set-square, both 5mm apart. Make sure the lines are parallel to the side of the set-square. These can then be used to hatch really fast. I.e. Line up the previously drawn line with the line scribed on your set-square. Then draw another line on the page, then repeat.
    • Have 2 or 3 sharp pencils so that you don't have to pare during the exam.
    • Or, if your comfortable, use a mechanical pencil. It never has to be pared. Because it never blunts, all the lines look crisp and never fat and blurry.
    • If you can get your hands on one, bring an adjustable set-square. They come in handy in the majority of questions.
    DCG questions are scarce these days, so here are a few folders of relevant questions I compiled from old exam papers a few months back, enjoy! PS. I flipped the colours to make them easier on the eyes for LCD screens, so don't try printing them out or you'll sap your ink cartridge.

mathstalk wrote: »
    I rock at Solids in Contact, and Assemblies. Anything to do with straight forward spatial awareness is easy sailing. Need to do some work on Geologic Geometry though.

• Scribe two lines on the underside of your 45 set-square, both 5mm apart. Make sure the lines are parallel to the side of the set-square. These can then be used to hatch really fast. I.e. Line up the previously drawn line with the line scribed on your set-square. Then draw another line on the page, then repeat.
    • Or, if your comfortable, use a mechanical pencil. It never has to be pared. Because it never blunts, all the lines look crisp and never fat and blurry.
    • If you can get your hands on one, bring an adjustable set-square. They come in handy in the majority of questions.
    DCG questions are scarce these days, so here are a few folders of relevant questions I compiled from old exam papers a few months back, enjoy! PS. I flipped the colours to make them easier on the eyes for LCD screens, so don't try printing them out or you'll sap your ink cartridge.

Those look great, cheer! :D Also, where would ye get a circle stencil?

Mista wrote: »
    mathstalk wrote: »

Those look great, cheer! :D Also, where would ye get a circle stencil?

Any stationary store. They are seriously handy to have but can be dodge to use, make sure the nib of the pencil is really thin

• Advertisement

Didn't realise it was a predictions page, I just thought it was for discussion of the exam. There's not a whole lot you can predict really.

I think an assembly will come up in Section C though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I'm unsure about this, I'm quite happy, even with a **** teacher xD

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

What do all of ye think might show up this year? Planes, Perspective, Trimetric, Solids in Contact?
    Also, does anyone know how harsh they marks the projects or are they fairly generous?

WHAT I WANT: Planes in space, Dimetric or Trimetric, Interpenetration or easy perspective or Solids in contact., skew lines.

WHAT I DONT WANT: Developments, cut surfaces, parabolic curves and everything else.

Knowing my luck everything i dont want to show up will show up

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kingbob387

How are people studying for this at home? Can't do much drawing with no T-Square and what not :S

kingbob387 wrote: »
    How are people studying for this at home? Can't do much drawing with no T-Square and what not :S

Well I've an old drawing board from my sister, took a T-square from the school (they let me) and nicked a couple of A2 sheets :) sorted :D

kingbob387 wrote: »
    I robbed a set out if the school along with some paper and tape. I have all day Tuesday to draw and do exam q's

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

How did you guys do homework before this? D:

Wanchor wrote: »
    How did you guys do homework before this? D:

Well, I've had all the stuff mentioned all year round pretty much :) See if theres anyone you know with drawing stuff that you could borrow, maybe a DCG student from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

cams are definitively coming up!

• Advertisement

How harshly are the assignments marked for this subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

How harshly are the assignments marked for this subject?

its fairly easy to get the first 30/40 percent but a bit harder to get 35 and very hard to get close to 40. They will take marks off you for presentation and stuff just so you wont get 100% marks on each page. They don't read through it word for word but read some of the text on each page to get an idea of how good the content is. So it really depends on the examiner.

its fairly easy to get the first 30/40 percent but a bit harder to get 35 and very hard to get close to 40. They will take marks off you for presentation and stuff just so you wont get 100% marks on each page. They don't read through it word for word but read some of the text on each page to get an idea of how good the content is. So it really depends on the examiner.

thanks. its all down to presentation in the end i guess and I suppose art students have a big advantage when it comes to the assignment, I still think ive done a good job at the project part tho and im happy with my solidworks models they really stand out. Hoping for a B inthis subject and im hoping for the assignment to bring my grade up rather than down

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

What bottle did everyone pick? I was a bit of a perfume expert during that month and it felt really, no, too feminine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

What bottle did everyone pick? I was a bit of a perfume expert during that month and it felt really, no, too feminine.

I did a can of lynx and then I created a new perfume bottle based on a zippo lighter. :)

Yea I hope it's a pretty easy year, my teacher was fairly poor so I'll be lucky to scrape a C. With the project though I want a B3.

matt.jpg&sa=X&ei=qsndT62lMIKGhQfE1O2eCg&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHjpmK3prdUz-HXZutGbXB0RDjRMg

This... wasn't bad to do, especially compared to some of the things my classmates did :/

And yes, my locker stank of perfume for a while. :pac:

Are we allowed to put up a photorealistic image of the bottle? or is that breaking a few rules?

Are we allowed to put up a photorealistic image of the bottle? or is that breaking a few rules?

I don't think you're supposed to post anything from your project until the end of August, or after the script-viewing. Post pictures from Google Images I'd say, put not original work used in your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im fecked for this.
    Don't really know what to look over :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I'm hoping for some nice interpenetration, cams & loci, roads & mining, perspective and solids in contact. Skew lines, conics and anything do-able would be nice for short questions. I just want this over with, I want summer. -___-

Advertisement