Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**D.C.G...Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Hope to have 30% out of 40 from the project and 50% out of the one wednesday so that'll give me 60% overall, be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

IRA 1916 wrote: »
    Hope to have 30% out of 40 from the project and 50% out of the one wednesday so that'll give me 60% overall, be delighted

Exactly what I'm hoping for. I got 55 in my mocks so hopefully I'll be alright

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

earwax_man wrote: »
    I just want this over with, I want summer. -___-
    Same as that. Roll on 5.00pm wednesday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Has anyone ever looked at the marking schemes for DCG? Its ridiculous, you get nearly all the marks for the easy parts, and feck all for the harder bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Mista wrote: »
    Has anyone ever looked at the marking schemes for DCG? Its ridiculous, you get nearly all the marks for the easy parts, and feck all for the harder bits.

Thats the best part. You get 15 out of 45 for setting the question up I think :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Thats the best part. You get 15 out of 45 for setting the question up I think :D

For just drawing the given views??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

It's brilliant. :D 22/45 for interpenetration for just copying down what's given! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Our teacher never went into what those maps are on the exams. Whenever I asked, he shunned me and gave me that leave-it-alone-if-you-value-your-life. They look so pretty. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 John Mullally

Hoping for an A1 in DCG. Its my favourite subject and i cant wait for it. Our teacher said that you gget a good few marks for setting up the question. Even if ya dont know how to do it, just copy the question down onto the sheet. Use light lines and show all construction lines clearly. Dotted lines for anything hidden. Spend a while on the short questions he said : they are worth the same as a long question and a half. Other than this, good luck...!!

Wanchor wrote: »
    Our teacher never went into what those maps are on the exams. Whenever I asked, he shunned me and gave me that leave-it-alone-if-you-value-your-life. They look so pretty. :(

We never did them either.. and our teacher absolutley refused to do assemblies.. they look handy enough :/
    Togepi wrote: »
    It's brilliant. :D 22/45 for interpenetration for just copying down what's given! :pac:

Yep, and you get feck all for harder parts, like traces of a plane. :/
    IRA 1916 wrote: »
    For just drawing the given views??

Depends on the question, but you get around half the marks for it.. so if your running out of time, just stop what your at and go on to your next question :pac:

• Advertisement

Hoping for an A1 in DCG. Its my favourite subject and i cant wait for it. Our teacher said that you gget a good few marks for setting up the question. Even if ya dont know how to do it, just copy the question down onto the sheet. Use light lines and show all construction lines clearly. Dotted lines for anything hidden. Spend a while on the short questions he said : they are worth the same as a long question and a half. Other than this, good luck...!!

You to :P Fair play to ya if ye get your A1, I'm hoping for a B2 at highest.. project wasn't great :( I'm not in a great way for the short questions actually.. probably should practice some more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 John Mullally

you mean those ''roads'' questions. Fair play to your teacher, they are real bast**d of a question. You should thank your teacher, and for everyone else, stay away from roads if ya want a good mark...!!

Yep, and you get feck all for harder parts, like traces of a plane. :/

That's good for me though because our teacher used to always leave the very last parts out. :eek: I'd love an A in it, should get an A for my project (got a B1 in it last year) but I'd be doing very well to get a high B!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Easy A. Nice way to end 2 weeks of handy worthless crap

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

you mean those ''roads'' questions. Fair play to your teacher, they are real bast**d of a question. You should thank your teacher, and for everyone else, stay away from roads if ya want a good mark...!!

They're actuly really easy but it hard to get the stratum bits. its a very handy question to get a guaranteed 30/45 at least if you know what your doing. Cant really practice them tho without any maps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

i did this bottle, took forever because i went into all the detail of the neck and mated 60+ diamonds one by one

fantasy.jpg

Anyone who does GEOLOGIC GEOMETRY do ye know where to draw the semi circle to get the tangent for the slope? Is it from the centre of the road or from the edge of the road? or does it even matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Anyone who does GEOLOGIC GEOMETRY do ye know where to draw the semi circle to get the tangent for the slope? Is it from the centre of the road or from the edge of the road? or does it even matter?

Edge I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

Yeah its from the edge .. *Fill cone at the high end of the road* I have that engraved in my brain forever :P

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Just came up with a good idea for those killer "intersecting object" questions. Bring a ball of bluetac in with you. If you're finding it difficult to visualise how the objects will cut each other. Spend 5 minutes moulding it out with the bluetac. Your set-squares and compasses should be good enough precision tool to form a quick model.

This also works for solids in contact and tangent planes:

uu1Hy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

Always the edge. Also keep heights in mind at the edge of the cone if it's rise or fall :)
    mathstalk wrote: »
    Just came up with a good idea for those killer "intersecting object" questions. Bring a ball of bluetac in with you. If you're finding it difficult to visualise how the objects will cut each other. Spend 5 minutes moulding it out with the bluetac. Your set-squares and compasses should be good enough precision tool to form a quick model.

uu1Hy.jpg

Is that allowed?

uu1Hy.jpg

smart idea but id say by the time you have the blu-tac model made you would have figured out the question already :P

That's a fantastic idea! Another tip from my textbook when doing cycloid is to take in a piece of tracing paper and draw a circle on it.

oqfsXl.jpg

That's a fantastic idea! Another tip from my textbook when doing cycloid is to take in a piece of tracing paper and draw a circle on it.

That's brilliant but you're not allowed to bring any extra paper into the exams, I doubt it's any different for DCG.

Togepi wrote: »
    That's brilliant but you're not allowed to bring any extra paper into the exams, I doubt it's any different for DCG.

Well, taking into account the wide variety of tools considered equipment, I'm sure this would be no different. I mean you can bring in those bendy, stiffy rubber things for drawing curves. I think it's the fact that it's paper that may make them suspicious. A glass block and a sharpie then maybe?

Yeah you could probably get a sharpie and a piece of glass or plastic (ie. a spare set square or protractor) and work away using those. Handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Wilwarin

Any extra marks for borders/title block? how should I layout the page before starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I really need to start studying properly for this

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bohemian rhapsody

Any predictions for DCG anyone??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

Any predictions for DCG anyone??

my prediction is we'll all do disgustingly ****/average but still get alright marks because of the project

Advertisement