Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**D.C.G...Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

my prediction is we'll all do disgustingly ****/average but still get alright marks because of the project

That's exactly what happened me last year. Nearly failed the exam - C2 overall. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

Togepi wrote: »
    That's exactly what happened me last year. Nearly failed the exam - C2 overall. :D

would you say they mark the projects fairly easily ? mine was decent but not perfect but if i get 30 out of the 40 going in im happy

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I can't really understand how to do perspective properly :/. Any tutorials or anything online to show how to do it?

would you say they mark the projects fairly easily ? mine was decent but not perfect but if i get 30 out of the 40 going in im happy

I'm not sure, my teacher thought I'd get about 37% out of the 40% - ended up with 34% so I s'pose they mark them fair enough. They wouldn't mark them really easily though, but they're fair. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭IRA 1916

Intersecting planes better shagging come up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

IRA 1916 wrote: »

I hate planes. I'm usually good at thinking of stuff in 3d but when it comes to planes my brain just goes blank.
    Hoping for solids in contact/ intersecting objects myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Mayo_Boy wrote: »
    I can't really understand how to do perspective properly :/. Any tutorials or anything online to show how to do it?

If you have the DCG Leaving Cert book by Joseph Terry, I think it's explained quite well in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

IRA 1916 wrote: »

Agreed. Comfortably the easiest question on the paper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What are all the possible topics that can come up, excluding section c because I have that covered, I just need to know that I have everything else done.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

mathstalk wrote: »
    I hate planes. I'm usually good at thinking of stuff in 3d but when it comes to planes my brain just goes blank.
    Hoping for solids in contact/ intersecting objects myself.

I find skew lines a lot harder to visualize than planes! Solids in contact can only come up in Section B, right?

• Advertisement

Wanchor wrote: »
    If find skew lines a lot harder to visualize than planes! Solids in contact can only come up in Section B, right?

They can come up in Section A too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mr. Tambourine Man

Wanchor wrote: »
    I find skew lines a lot harder to visualize than planes! Solids in contact can only come up in Section B, right?

Pretty much anything can come up anywhere in sections A or B

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Ok, so in CAMs when your increasing/decreasing a curve, there uniform velocity (straight line), simple harmonic (the semicircle) and the parabola? Is this all, and whats the parabola called? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Mista wrote: »
    Ok, so in CAMs when your increasing/decreasing a curve, there uniform velocity (straight line), simple harmonic (the semicircle) and the parabola? Is this all, and whats the parabola called? :pac:

UAR (Uniform Acceleration and Retardation) is the parabola construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

Cant do developments to save my life. Between surface geometry and section B its bound to come up too :( Really hoping for Planes,Axonometric, Interpenetration or a handy solids in Contact question.
    Do ye think skew lines will come up for a third year in a row? And do ye think maybe a car park might show up for GEOLOGIC GEOMETRY? And has anyone got any tips (at all) on SURFACE GEOMETRY? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Im fecked for tomorrow and I don't even seem to care for some reason :rolleyes:
    It's my last exam :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭siobhanod93

Just a quick question off topic!
    I don't do DCG. What is the subject? I'm just curious. Is it like Tec Graph for Junior Cert? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

Just a quick question off topic!
    I don't do DCG. What is the subject? I'm just curious. Is it like Tec Graph for Junior Cert? :)
    This exactly what it is. Except a bit harder

ImFudged wrote: »
    This exactly what it is. Except a bit harder

Yup that's it except I'd say it's a lot harder, and there's a massive project too which is fairly arty and computery. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I wouldn't say DCG is as hard as people are making it out to be considering the old course was more in-depth. If you're decent with computers and you have a knowledgeable teacher, you won't have much issue with Solidworks. You don't need a background in Tech Graphics to pick up on the content, I only did TG for 1st year and with a little extra work when I started DCG I caught up. You get choice with the questions as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

If you run out of space on one of the pages do you get another small piece of paper to draw the remainder of what you're doing?

If you run out of space on one of the pages do you get another small piece of paper to draw the remainder of what you're doing?

Yea, that's what I'd do.. just seloptape it on at the place where you ran out :pac:

How do you draw a parabola where you only have the focus and the two points on the base, ive never seen that before today.

GarIT wrote: »
    How do you draw a parabola where you only have the focus and the two points on the base, ive never seen that before today.

What do you mean? Just draw a square around it and plot points?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kaet

Does anyone who does Dynamic Mechanisms know the difference between Logarithmic and Archimedian spirals?

Mista wrote: »
    What do you mean? Just draw a square around it and plot points?

Thats if you have the vertex, the focus is a point in the parabola like the focus on an elipse.

If anyone could explain 2011 A-2 or 2010 A-3 it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Now the cramming is setting in.. And I have a frigging exam on Friday too. When will it all just eeeennnndddd!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

GarIT wrote: »
    Thats if you have the vertex, the focus is a point in the parabola like the focus on an elipse.

If anyone could explain 2011 A-2 or 2010 A-3 it would be great.

2011 A-2

From the focus draw a line at 45 degrees to the left which will hit the line E. Bring that place it hits it down to the line, that gives you the second vertex.

You already have the first vertex given in the question so measure the distance between F and the second vertex you got, then go the same distance from the vertex given, this fives the second focus.

Hope it helped.

I haven't a clue about focal points/directrix/etc... ah well :Z

• Advertisement

2011 A-2

From the focus draw a line at 45 degrees to the left which will hit the line E. Bring that place it hits it down to the line, that gives you the second vertex.

You already have the first vertex given in the question so measure the distance between F and the second vertex you got, then go the same distance from the vertex given, this fives the second focus.

Hope it helped.

Thanks, just one question is the focal length the long axis swung from the top of the short axis?

Any chance you could explain the parabola from 2010 too?

Advertisement