Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**D.C.G...Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Cathalog wrote: »
    Now the cramming is setting in.. And I have a frigging exam on Friday too. When will it all just eeeennnndddd!!! :(

At 5p.m :pac:

GarIT wrote: »
    Thanks, just one question is the focal length the long axis swung from the top of the short axis?

Any chance you could explain the parabola from 2010 too?

Sorry I don't know what a focal length is, I do it through Irish. Do you mean question (b)?

2010 A-3

(a)
    Draw a vertical line at F, where the horizontal and vertical lines given meet, draw a line at 45 degrees to the right. At F draw a 45 degree line to the left which will hit the line you've just drawn. Bring that down and then you'll have the vertex.

Do the question as normal from there.

(b)
    Put a length of 45mm on your compass, then from the point F draw an arc with it that hits the parabola. Draw the tangent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sorry I don't know what a focal length is, I do it through Irish. Do you mean question (b)?

2010 A-3

(a)
    Draw a vertical line at F, where the horizontal and vertical lines given meet, draw a line at 45 degrees to the right. At F draw a 45 degree line to the left which will hit the line you've just drawn. Bring that down and then you'll have the vertex.

Do the question as normal from there.

(b)
    Put a length of 45mm on your compass, then from the point F draw an arc with it that hits the parabola. Draw the tangent.

Thanks, every point f is a focal point, half the distance between the two points f is the focal length, ie the length between the center of the elipse, and either point f.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭celtic10000

That was a nice enough paper.. went better than i expected :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

That paper was awful! :( Did alright time-wise anyway at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Thought the short questions were very easy but only because I like perspective and axonometric.

Surface Geologic Geometry had a nasty part 2, only because the answer was very simple but you had to think.

(You had to make a profile, you ended up with a hill that sloped and you just had to get the lowest part and bring it back to QR)

Thought the short questions were very easy but only because I like perspective and axonometric.

Surface Geometry had a nasty part 2, only because the answer was very simple but you had to think.

(You had to make a profile, you ended up with a hill that sloped and you just had to get the lowest part and bring it back to QR)

Do you mean geologic geometry?

Do you mean geologic geometry?

Yes.

Surface Geologic Geometry had a nasty part 2, only because the answer was very simple but you had to think.

I made some sort of attempt anyway. did you just draw a 5 mm arc from E to get the cuttings for D to E?

I made some sort of attempt anyway. did you just draw a 5 mm arc from E to get the cuttings for D to E?

D to E was falling (50 to 35)

You had to draw a cut cone on D (Not sure how big it was supposed to be, mine was 15).

If by arc you mean the roundabout? That was an arc with O as the centre

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Osric

Short questions were grand. No solids in contact :(
    Last part of surface geometry was a pain

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

What a lovely paper :D Great short questions. Had a bit of difficulty remembering how to do the hyperaboloid of revolution, but remembered in the end :)

D to E was falling (50 to 35)

You had to draw a cut cone on D (Not sure how big it was supposed to be, mine was 15).

If by arc you mean the roundabout? That was an arc with O as the centre

I meant an arc from e that you draw the tangent to to get the gradient. i just put it as 5 radius because for cuttings it was 5. mine looked similar to the already completed north side so i presumed it was right.

Did anyone know how to to part (D) of the planes question?
    Any did anyone else only get 2 points for the penetration question?

I meant an arc from e that you draw the tangent to to get the gradient. i just put it as 5 radius because for cuttings it was 5. mine looked similar to the already completed north side so i presumed it was right.

The arc you're talking about is a cut cone, but cut cones are put on the high end (D)

EDIT: Actuallly I think you're right, lemme check

EDIT2: Yeah, the cut cone should be on E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Osric

By planes question, do you mean the titanic building?
    For (d), I extended, in plan, the line FA until it hit the xy line, giving you the horizontal trace. Then I brought B parallel to the horizontal trace as well, until it hit the XY line, brought it up, and brought B in elevation across. Where they intersected gives you point on the vertical trace, so you join it back to where the horizontal trace hit the XY

The penetration question only had 2 turning points, I think

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ImFudged

That wasn't a bad paper ran out of time at the end of my interpenetration question

Osric wrote: »
    By planes question, do you mean the titanic building?
    For (d), I extended, in plan, the line FA until it hit the xy line, giving you the horizontal trace. Then I brought B parallel to the horizontal trace as well, until it hit the XY line, brought it up, and brought B in elevation across. Where they intersected gives you point on the vertical trace, so you join it back to where the horizontal trace hit the XY

The penetration question only had 2 turning points, I think

I thought two was too low but thats good that you got it aswell :P Yeah the titanic one.. awh crap i hope thats not much marks :P

The arc you're talking about is a cut cone, but cut cones are put on the high end (D)

EDIT: Actuallly I think you're right, lemme check

EDIT2: Yeah, the cut cone should be on E

I dont even know what a cut cone is but thanks.

I dont even know what a cut cone is but thanks.

the arc, where you make a tangent to.

You don't even know what a cut cone is but you got the question right and I didnt, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

anyone know what value they got for h ? and the dihedral angle in the same question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I definitely got more marks for my project than I did for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Section A - awful, only did one well. My other two were dodgy to say the least

Section B -
    made a balls of my interpenetration question. I did this first too, so it made me feel like **** for a while afterwards. Started running out of time, so I had to leave it.

The planes question was nice! Took me a while to figure out height "h", but once you got past that bit, the rest was brilliant. And I did this question last, under lots of time pressure (did it in 25min total)

Section C -
    Did Geoloic Geometry and the Roofs question (surface geo i think?)

Geoloic geometry was my favourite question. Only a TINY bit of the road was sloped, the rest was flat. Easy circular road too :)
    Question b) was easy too. Interesting too..reminded me of the Chillian minors.
    No stratams!!!! :D

The roofs question was as expected also. The only thing that didn't work for me was the dihedrial.. Cane out really weird, ah well!

Overall, happy - I think I'm in B territory!

Now to tire myself out studying applied maths. So close now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I thought it wasn't too bad, but am I the only person that did the cutting inside the roundabour too?

Handy enough paper.

GarIT wrote: »
    I thought it wasn't too bad, but am I the only person that did the cutting inside the roundabour too?

I did aswell just to be sure :P

Section B -
    made a balls of my interpenetration question. I did this first too, so it made me feel like **** for a while afterwards. Started running out of time, so I had to leave it.

The planes question was nice! Took me a while to figure out height "h", but once you got past that bit, the rest was brilliant. And I did this question last, under lots of time pressure (did it in 25min total)

Section C -

Geoloic geometry was my favourite question. Only a TINY bit of the road was sloped, the rest was flat. Easy circular road too :)

The roofs question was as expected also. The only thing that didn't work for me was the dihedrial.. Cane out really weird, ah well!

Where did you actuly get height H ? i took it as the distance between D and F in plan but wasnt too sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 porsche924

Section B -

Section C -

In Geoloic geometry, how did you do part b)? I had no clue:confused:

anyone know what value they got for h ? and the dihedral angle in the same question

I actuly measured it and got 73 degrees?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KatieODea

porsche924 wrote: »
    In Geoloic geometry, how did you do part b)? I had no clue:confused:

What I did anyway was I made a profile of the land above the line PQR, you know, like you were looking at it as an elevation and it looked like a load of hills. Then I found the lowest point on the land (it was between the two 50 contour lines) and took that straight down and that was the point of vertical bore hole. That could be terribly wrong, but I hope I was right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Was anyone else devastated when they didn't manage to save the miners?

Advertisement