Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving lessons with automatic car in Kells area?

Options
  • 12-06-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi guys, hopefully this thread is in the right place (please move if it's not), but I'm trying to find out if anybody knows of a driving instructor in the Kells area who has an automatic car? Any help would be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Off hand i dont know... maybe in Navan though? but you might want to check out if (someone correct me if im wrong) but im sure if you do your lessons and then your test in an automatic car your licence will have a restriction of only allowing you to drive automatic cars in the future.

If you are looking to do lessons in an auto and then progress to a normal manual car then thats okay... but check out that restriction with your driving instructor first.

I would just advise you to ring a few driving schools and check if they do automatic lessons.

Hope this helps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Access is dead right. Learn in a manual car and get a proper licence with no restrictions, then you can drive autos as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Yeah, I knew about the restriction but I just kinda wanna get going as soon as possible and the car I have is an automatic, and I figure I'll learn quicker this way! I can always go back and learn in a manual if need be in the future anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    Yeah, I knew about the restriction but I just kinda wanna get going as soon as possible and the car I have is an automatic, and I figure I'll learn quicker this way! I can always go back and learn in a manual if need be in the future anyway :)

Just bear in mind that when you then want to go on and do your manual test, unfortunately you will have to redo all your required lessons in a manual car, as well as driver theory test and then your driving test in a manual car...

Sorry Anna, but you would be mad in the head to do it this way! - it would cost a fortune!

Do normal manual lessons and your test in a manual car and this will cover you to drive your automatic car.

Thanks for your advice, but I've pretty much made up my mind on it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Access wrote: »
    Just bear in mind that when you then want to go on and do your manual test, unfortunately you will have to redo all your required lessons in a manual car, as well as driver theory test and then your driving test in a manual car...

Sorry Anna, but you would be mad in the head to do it this way! - it would cost a fortune!

Do normal manual lessons and your test in a manual car and this will cover you to drive your automatic car.

I don't think you'll have to resit the theory test. There's no difference in the rules of the road for automatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I find your persistence to be very odd. It's very easy to move from a manual to an automatic but hard to go the other way. Do your lessons in the manual and you'll have no problem driving your own automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭Dave0301

I know a driving instructor that will take you out if you have your own automatic car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

How about giving the OP a break ? maybe there's a specific reason why she wants to dive an automatic.

I know logic suggests manual first , but my own wife choose auto because of a
    medical issue.

Maybe the OP needs it for work , a new job perhaps ?

We're making assumptions .

No offence intended to anybody who posted, and I am grateful that you took the time to reply, but in my OP, I didn't ask for advice on which would be better, I'm merely looking for an instructor with an automatic car :)

Dave0301 wrote: »
    I know a driving instructor that will take you out if you have your own automatic car?
    I do but unfortunately, it's in a bit of a state at the minute, I'm looking for an instructor with their own car preferably. Thanks anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

No offence intended to anybody who posted, and I am grateful that you took the time to reply, but in my OP, I didn't ask for advice on which would be better, I'm merely looking for an instructor with an automatic car :)

Then try the phone book.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Then try the phone book.

I was more looking for people who had experience with an instructor, but again, thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I was more looking for people who had experience with an instructor, but again, thanks for your help

Unless it's one of the bigger (Dublin based) franchises I'd say you'll have to use your own I'm afraid - and even in the larger outfits you'll be met with problems sourcing one. Getting a (decent) rental automatic or a temporary auto when you drop your car in for service is a hassle too most of the time!

(I know, I'm on my 4th auto myself and have experienced all of the above)

They are slowly starting to become more common among non-premium brands (Audi/VW, BMW, Merc etc) but still a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭swimgal

I did my driving test in an automatic car first as I just happened to have an automatic at the time. When I changed cars to a manual I had to do the driving test again but didn't have to do the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Don't think there are any driving instructors around with an automatic car insured for lessons. Almost no demand for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

I'm an instructor based in Navan and I can't think of one instructor who has an automatic car in the Meath area.

I teach pupils in an automatic car but not from complete scratch as I wouldn't have dual controls.

Feel free to PM me to discuss it any further

I'm an instructor based in Navan and I can't think of one instructor who has an automatic car in the Meath area.

I teach pupils in an automatic car but not from complete scratch as I wouldn't have dual controls.

Feel free to PM me to discuss it any further

Thanks everybody for your help! :)

Advertisement