Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Veal

Options
  • 12-06-2012 9:51pm
    Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying this over last few months and think I'm converted but doing a search I still see posters saying they would never eat Veal. I thought the public campaigns in the UK by various high profile chefs, TV shows etc would have changed opinion somewhat. Eg the article linked from 2011.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/may/21/veal-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall
    Few things raise the hackles of thoughtful eaters quite like veal – unless it's veal with a side order of foie gras. Bleak images of calves in cramped crates or being herded on to lorries linger in the memory. And they should – as a reminder of the worst excesses of indifference to animal welfare, they take some beating. But today I'm unashamedly putting on my rose-tinted spectacles and flying the flag for British rose veal. To be honest, if you drink milk or eat cheese, it's crueller not to eat it.

Spare a thought for male dairy calves. Over a quarter of a million of them are killed each year.
    Unable to produce milk (obviously) and unsuitable for beef production, they are shot soon after birth as a "waste product" of the dairy industry. Either that or they're exported to Europe, where the continental craving for pale meat means their welfare is profoundly compromised.

Am I missing something here or do people still prefer to see Irish calves shot rather than raised long enough for them to be used as quality meat. It's an earner for dairy farmers, and a sustainable off shoot of dairy farming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm Irish, but mainly living in Switzerland. I regularly eat veal as it is quite common over here. TBH - I think that a lot of consumers probably think "poor baby calf" without thinking/knowing how it or other meat is produced.

As for what it is like as a meat - for me it has quite a delicate flavour & texture, but I'd still prefer a chewier, stronger-flavoured beef steak. It takes on other flavours better than beef, so I would use it in stews or curries occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Wouldn't be a fan of "pink " veal... Flavour or welfare , I think (hope)the Crate veal (where they keep the calf in a crate and feed it milk) is gone. Have no prob eating veal or baby beef, like I have no prob eating lamb..not really a fan of orangey pink beef either, gimme good dark red grass fed Angus or Hereford beef...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 39,414 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's completely normal here in Oz too. In the supermarket between the beef and the lamb. I don't buy it often I prefer stronger flavoured red meat. But I don't have any issue with it as I'm aware of the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I suppose the OP has been watching Jimmy and the giant supermarket too? Couldnt watch when they shot those 3 beautiful calfs.

British Rose veal is reared very differently to hwo it used to be and to how a lot of Europe still do it. Its illegal to keep them in crates like that anymore.

If a free range, high welfare version was available here, I would give it a try.

Like that article says, these calfs are created by our demand for dairy, so it would be incredibly wasteful of us to just kill them.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Yeah, that show last night prompted the thread, but it's just the latest of many programmes, articles and via search you see a lot of people still against veal.

M&S stock rose veal here, a lot of it supplied by Linden foods out of Dungannon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

If it was well priced and easy to buy I'd happily buy it on a regular basis. Personally I think its delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I buy veal mince often and use it to make meatballs with lemon rind, garlic and parsley, in a tomato and white wine sauce. It's delicious and lighter than a beef ragu or a bolognase. Veal chop or and veal on the bone is very good, but I have yet to find a decent local butcher who will supply it and it's never in the supermarkets. Then there is the veal escalope. Generally that's rubbish. Cheap cuts with an expensive price tag - because it's veal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ghow

Minder wrote: »
    I buy veal mince often
    Where do you get the mince?
    I've been trying to find some in Dublin without any luck.
    Thanks.

Advertisement