Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Corporate Governance Masters at University of Ulster????

• 12-06-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey Guys !!!!!
    Just wondering if there is anyone who could give me some information about the MSc in Management and Corporate Governance in University of Ulster? :o I have recievied an offer to do this postgrad this sept....and am realy not sure!!! i do not have an accounting degree....and do not like maths.....wil i struggle ??? What is the timetable like ??? And.....what have the employment opportunities been for any graduates ??? ;)
    Any information is much appreciated !!!
    Thank you !!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ramblingcelt

My cousin did this course up to grad dip level which gets you the membership of the ICSA.

She had tried to take the course offered directly by the ICSA through her employer but the failure rate, especially in the law module, we're crazy. That's why ulster were asked to offer it in Dublin I believe. Their MSc success rate is well above 85 per cent. The only draw back is that no accreditation is offered for prior learning so you have to take all the modules.

There is quite a bit of work especially in the UK, not sure about here in the current climate. The Uk pays better especially the big four though my cousin said that here some of the legal firms are starting to offer these services as well. Maths should not be an issue from what I heard. Organisation was good also from what I hear and the course organiser is very helpful. Give him a ring and I am sure he can forward the timetable to you.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/company_secretary_salary.htm for info. I am sure your accounting degree would really help as well.

Hope this is of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Majaakay

Oh Really ??? :D This info is of great use !! Thank you so much !! You mean the course has 85% pass rate ?? or employment success ??

I actually have a Law degree and have no experience of Accounting...... so that is why i mentioned it....as that is my main concern given that there is two modules involving accounts... !!!
    But I will prob work on it over the summer months to make a start !!!

Thanks for your help !!!
    x

According to the brochure (link below) they have a 95% pass rate!
    http://www.business.ulster.ac.uk/courses/icsadublin/ManCorpGov(Dublin).pdf

My cousin also said that firms contact the course director directly quite often when looking for employees.

I would not worry about the accounting, the courses seem to be only 3 days in length so it is probably a good introduction but not too challenging. A good introductory text would prob help and put your mind at rest.

The good thing I believe is the ICSA qualification is recognised internationally.

Best of luck with the course if you do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

My cousin did this course up to grad dip level which gets you the membership of the ICSA.

She had tried to take the course offered directly by the ICSA through her employer but the failure rate, especially in the law module, we're crazy. That's why ulster were asked to offer it in Dublin I believe. Their MSc success rate is well above 85 per cent. The only draw back is that no accreditation is offered for prior learning so you have to take all the modules.

There is quite a bit of work especially in the UK, not sure about here in the current climate. The Uk pays better especially the big four though my cousin said that here some of the legal firms are starting to offer these services as well. Maths should not be an issue from what I heard. Organisation was good also from what I hear and the course organiser is very helpful. Give him a ring and I am sure he can forward the timetable to you.

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/company_secretary_salary.htm for info. I am sure your accounting degree would really help as well.

Hope this is of use.

The course my have a high pass rate, however there is alot of work involved, so i would judge this as you having an easy ride, cause trust me the workload is tough.

dublin has a huge market in this area, however the big four would probably be the worst paid out of any ( mainly due to the fact your hired in a training contract, basically meaning they can pay ya less)

the course director is great help, dont be afraid to contact him

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mainman2013

I just got an offer to do the part time course in Dublin, Please does anyone have an idea of how the courses are conducted here in Dublin and what the time table is like. Is it done in the afternoon, evening or over the weekend.

• Advertisement

My understanding is it is block release but the office in Jordanstown can give u all the info you need.

The course director is very helpful, give him a ring is my advice.

The course is the same as offered in uuj but with changes for Irish law.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 haribo12

did anyone ever do this course, what are the career prospects like from it ??

Advertisement