Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players putting themselves into the shop window at the Euros

• 12-06-2012 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭

So every major tournament always uncovers a few players that go on to attract a lot of interest based almost solely on their form during the competition

Who has stood out so far that might attract some big name clubs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ah there's already a thread for this!! There's too many threads spreading about!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Dszgavev(spelling) must be top so far on goals..

I did like the Czech winger that scored today,looks a nippy sort with good control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Yarmolenko (Ukraine / Dynamo Kiev)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

monkey9 wrote: »
    Ah there's already a thread for this!! There's too many threads spreading about!!

a thousand pardons !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,084 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would take good performances with caution.

In 96 Man Utd were watching Zidane. He had a poor tournament, but Porborsky had a great tournament. They bought the latter instead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would take good performances with caution.

In 96 Man Utd were watching Zidane. He had a poor tournament, but Porborsky had a great tournament. They bought the latter instead.

Remember El Hajd Diouf after 02. Flopping all over the shop

Ozil is an example of a tournament but that worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Paul Green (unattached) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Gebre Selassie has been pretty good. Didn't have a clue who he was before this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

flanzer wrote: »
    Paul Green (unattached) :pac:

wtf did he bring him for dunno what he sees in him..

id have rang lee carsley to get him out of retirement :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

I was just thinking today that I could definitely see him in England next season.

Alan Dzagoev is surely playing his way to a big European club.

Yarmolenko and Konoplyanka for Ukraine are young and looked impressive.

Damien Perquis at the back for Poland has impressed me (I'd never heard of him before).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Well, Dzagoev has definitely stood out imo. Others already mentioned like Gebre Selassie and Yarmolenko, along with Konoplyanka.

Haven't seen much others that have stood out that are not already talked about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Dzagoev to Stamford Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

A middle and long distance champion. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Dzagoev to Stamford Bridge to replace the departing Drogba??????.

Yeah, a lithe 5ft 10in attacking midfielder is really going to replace Didier Drogba?! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Was quite impressed with Krohn-Dehli against the Dutch on Saturday (and not just with the goal). If he can build on that performance tomorrow against Portugal I could see him on his way from Bronby.

Pilar for the Czech Rep I've been impressed with also. Small, tricky forward with an eye for goal. Also worked very hard in both games and was one of few good performers against Russia.

Hummels for Germany I thought was excellent at the back against Portugal.

Mandzukic I though caused huge problems for Ireland the other night. Will be interesting to see what he can do against Spain and Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Simon Kjaer and Christian Eriksen for Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

Lewandowski would be a good buy for anyone (maybe Arsenal in case RVP goes?).

Konoplyanka ran riot on the left wing for Ukraine.

Dzagoev, Hummels, Mandzukic the obvious ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

From what we've seen so far, the following:

Selassie, Konoplyanka, Mandzukic, Perisic, Pilar, Perquis, Krohn-Dehli, Poulsen & Selin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Lads, it has to be said that most of these players mentioned were 'in the shop window' long before this tournament.

Hummels, Eriksen, Dzagoev for example; not exactly unheard of!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Debuchy was excellent for France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I remember seeing on TV that Dzagoev wants to play for Chelsea. It was when Madrid wanted to sign him, he said he wanted to stay at CSKA and move overseas to play for Chelsea in the future.

This was a few years ago though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Regarding Dzagoev,He is from the town of Beslan in North Ossetia where the school massacre happened in 2004 where over 300 died.

He sure is giving the people of the town a bit of a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    I remember seeing on TV that Dzagoev wants to play for Chelsea. It was when Madrid wanted to sign him, he said he wanted to stay at CSKA and move overseas to play for Chelsea in the future.

This was a few years ago though.

think he only has 6 months left on his contract aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Simon Poulsen is being linked to Aston Villa (again!)

Czech winger Václav Pilař signed for Wolfsburg before the tournament so he won't be going anywhere.

19 year old Greek winger Kostas Fortounis has looked decent in a fairly average Greek side.

Fortounis was pretty bad today.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

19 year old Greek winger Kostas Fortounis has looked decent in a fairly average Greek side.
    He won't come cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

G.K. wrote: »
    Fortounis was pretty bad today.

Yeah he was taken off in the second half today but he was very good against the Poles in the opening game. He signed for Kaiserslautern in Germany at 18 so obviously has bags of potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The right winger for Ukraine, and the left winger too names escape me, lots of vowels. Debuchy for France.
    The Polish right full.
    Mandzoukic (sp) Croatia.
    That young fella for Ukraine, up front, Shavchenko. He'd do well in Italy. He'd be a deadly replacement for the retired Inzaghi.

• Advertisement

The right winger for Ukraine, and the left winger too names escape me, lots of vowels. Debuchy for France.
    The Polish right full.
    Mandzoukic (sp) Croatia.
    That young fella for Ukraine, up front, Shavchenko. He'd do well in Italy. He'd be a deadly replacement for the retired Inzaghi.

Good list.

That Polish RB is well known and won't be moving, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

G.K. wrote: »
    Good list.

That Polish RB is well known and won't be moving, btw.

Dortmund. Still, I think they are still goosed with debt. They'll be a selling club for a few years yet. The difference is they have an awesome production line. If the right money came for him, but you're right, my list was more an impressed me list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Dortmund. Still, I think they are still goosed with debt. They'll be a selling club for a few years yet. The difference is they have an awesome production line. If the right money came for him, but you're right, my list was more an impressed me list.

They spent 17.5 million on Marco Reus this Summer. The debt problems are still there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He won't come cheap.

I can't be the only one who enjoyed this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Pro. F wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who enjoyed this :confused:

hahaha just looked at it there....well played pickarooney

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

elefant wrote: »
    Lads, it has to be said that most of these players mentioned were 'in the shop window' long before this tournament.

Hummels, Eriksen, Dzagoev for example; not exactly unheard of!

For many here it is though.

Angry at myself about Dzagoev (re: potential bets and errr.. FF :D). Suggested in my betting log that it was his time to shine.
    The gem of the team is Dzagoev, he's a talent no question about it just a tad inconsistent and can drift in and out of games a bit too much for my liking. He's 21 now, still very young but the stage is set for him to produce.

Hasn't disappointed! 6 months left on his contract too for those who don't know.

But for me, out of players I knew nothing about, Pilař and Konoplyanka have been the standouts. Very impressed so far with them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not a player, but the Ukrainian and Russian leagues could convince a few people they're a viable career move. Virtually all of both squads are playing at home and there are players from lots of teams plying their trade there now. The facilities in Ukraine are none too shabby either.

More teams have a Russian based player than don't actually (Poland, Czech R, Portugal, Croatia, Ireland, Italy, Sweden, Ukraine Russia).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Simon Poulsen for Denmark has looked decent,should be linked with bigger than Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Bendtner! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I thought the guy who came on for Rommedahl yesterday, Tobias Mikkelsen, was very good. He immediately got into the action, had a few crosses and a shot. He's playing in Denmark, 25 year old - a nice option for a promoted or lower-PL team?

Damien Perquis is a centre half for Poland that has impressed me greatly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement