Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet in Brisbane/sim card questions

Options
  • 12-06-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am moving to Brisbane in September, and Internet access is pretty important so i can Skype home, look for jobs etc etc. Just wondering what Broadband people use or what the story is there?

Over here, i generally have the 3 stick for €20 a month and away you go. What about over there? Is there a download limit, pricing etc?

The reason i ask is, visafirst offer free internet access for 12 months if you book with them, but surely this is just to reel you in etc?#

My other question involves me buying an iPhone, i am going to be getting one over the next few weeks, and with this have to get a new micro sim card. The phone will be unlocked, so when i get to Brisbane, can i just buy a micro sim pay as you go sim card in any of the mobile outlets?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 debs1

Sneebly wrote: »
    I am moving to Brisbane in September, and Internet access is pretty important so i can Skype home, look for jobs etc etc. Just wondering what Broadband people use or what the story is there?

Over here, i generally have the 3 stick for €20 a month and away you go. What about over there? Is there a download limit, pricing etc?

The reason i ask is, visafirst offer free internet access for 12 months if you book with them, but surely this is just to reel you in etc?#

My other question involves me buying an iPhone, i am going to be getting one over the next few weeks, and with this have to get a new micro sim card. The phone will be unlocked, so when i get to Brisbane, can i just buy a micro sim pay as you go sim card in any of the mobile outlets?

Thanks guys

Hey I went with visa first and asked then about the free Internet and the response I got back was they offer free Internet when you go into their office. I've an IPhone as well so will need a new sim when I get over there but my friends are there already and they all have same phone so must be ok to get the sim over there

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭TirEoghain

With regard to the internet, when I came to Brisbane in 2009, I got a 3 (network) internet dongle for something like $80, and got 12GB of data that had 12 months expiry for $149. So if you use less than a gig a month, it's a years internet for $149 obviously excluding hardware price.

That was a few years ago, so things may have changed since then.
    The main operators are Telstra, Three, Vodafone and Optus. It's worth checking out their websites to see what suits you best.

Telstra are the most expensive, but definitely have the best coverage in Brisbane (in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't get a dongle, go with pocket wifi through Vodafone or another carrier. Much better not having something stuck out of the side of your laptop and you can hook it up to multiple devices at the same time.

6 gigs for $29 a month, first 3 months half price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Look up TPG, they're relatively cheap and have a good service (in the inner suburbs anyway).

Advertisement