Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Park Hotel Dungarvan

Options
  • 12-06-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi,

i was thinking of booking this hotel for a weekend in the summer. Is it a nice hotel?
    Also is there much to do around Dungarvan, which is the nicest beaches and is there anything else to do (ive never been before!).
    Lastly, is it a lively town to nighlife etc

thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

Park hotel is a nice hotel, its very well situated because its not right in the town but your a two minute walk to the shopping center all the same!

Beaches? The best known would be Clonea beach which is about a 10 minute drive (correct me if I'm wrong?) from the Park hotel. The council have developed "the track" in the last few months which connects the beach and town and its a perfect walk/ cycle if your up for it. Other beaches would be the Cunnigar which stretches right across the bay, cobh in An Rinn or further afield would be Bunmahon.
    Mountains i.e. Mahon Falls or Cruacháin are good, or Colligan woods for trails/walks/cycles. We're lucky to have three golf clubs locally and pitch and putt. New tennis courts and boules facilities in close sight of the hotel. Cinema which often has live theatres if thats your thing, museums all the usual craic. Theres probably way more but its late and I'm tired!

Food: Serious town for variety from a nice carvery in Lawlors to expensive luxury in The Tannery, with every type of takeaway in between you can't go wrong.

Nightlife? There's two nightclubs within sight of your hotel, place do be buzzin! + plenty of pubs from quiet traditional, to lively, busy ones.

A word of notice/warning/advice when booking hotels, the last weekned in August is the Sean Kelly Tour which will mean the place will be booked and busy at that time (upwards of 6,000 extra people in the town that weekend!). If you like cycling/festival atmospehere, you should definitely look into this. From the modest 10 km cycle on the Saturday to the 50/100/160 km on the Sunday. This year there will be free live music in the bandstand all of the Saturday.

You can't go wrong with the Park really, I hope you enjoy your visit if you do decide to come.

Anymore questions, fire away. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭user37

thats great info, thanks very much!

All i need is the weather now so! it was in July i was guna go, althought that week in august would be great

thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Not a fan of the Park at all.Dungarvan has lots in the locality and is a great base, but I'd wouldn't stay in that hotel even if it were free.

Clonea is a lovely beach but somewhat open. Stradbally cove would be my choice for a beach. Bunmahon is not the safest to swim at.
    The walk up at the Mahon Falls to the base of the falls is worth doing and there's a good path down to them.

Apps to late, already booked the park, got a good deal! If its that bad least were near the town to go out in etc

is it far to that beach?
    Also is it far to Mahon Falls? Would like to see Ardmore and tramore as well

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

The Park Hotel has a fantastic name, food always beautiful. Well worth driving the coast road to Tramore. Ardmore is very nice, with the lovely Cliff Walk and nice beach. Lismore is also well worth going to have a look at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

The Park is fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

;)People differ in opinions,so I'll say no more.;)

Clonea is your nearest beach.If you go to Ardmore then try and fit in at least lunch in the bar of the Cliffhouse hotel, it's a spectacular place. The monastery ruins of St. Declan's church are worth a visit if you are in the area.There's a lovely pottery and craft shop there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I love Dungarvan but do not live in the town, none of you have mentioned the magic road, it is if it doesn't exist and what a tourist feature.
    The town is brill to walk round and the shops are welcoming.
    No mention of the fishing facilites, the place is almost paradise, come on love your town, it is fantastic.

Magic Road?? what is that if i may ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

If you take the road to Lemybrien and then turn left for Carrick on suir, keep on until Mahon Falls, do a left turn and drive up to the car park, carry on down that road and you will come to a lone tree, you should be going down hill, stop the car and it will roll back up the hill, come the other way and it will do the opposite. It is comical but some say an optical illusion.
    I am sure some locals might give a better account than I but it is worth the ride apart from walking to the falls which should be really brilliant after this rain.
    Have a good laugh and enjoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

If you take the road to Lemybrien and then turn left for Carrick on suir, keep on until Mahon Falls, do a left turn and drive up to the car park, carry on down that road and you will come to a lone tree, you should be going down hill, stop the car and it will roll back up the hill, come the other way and it will do the opposite. It is comical but some say an optical illusion.
    I am sure some locals might give a better account than I but it is worth the ride apart from walking to the falls which should be really brilliant after this rain.
    Have a good laugh and enjoy

Love Mahon Falls, sadly the fairy tree that marked the spot on the road was cut down by vandals :(

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

Love Mahon Falls, sadly the fairy tree that marked the spot on the road was cut down by vandals :(

There's still a big stone marker there that says Magic Road.

Drive up to Mahon Falls is definitely worth a trip.

The Towers outside Lismore would be a nice walk too, if you got the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Stradbally cove would be my choice for a beach

Not at the minute, raw sewage is polluting the sea there, and the cove isn't fit for swimming until it gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭cml387

Instead of Stradbally, take the coastal road towards Bunmahon and go to Ballydwan strand. A vast beach which seems to be known only to us (relatively) locals.

Ballydwan is a bit inclined to subsidence, is it not?

Advertisement