Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price Comparison - iphone/Galaxy S3 - Main networks

Options
  • 12-06-2012 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Just posting this here in case people are interested in the same price comparison that I'm doing at the moment.

I'm trying to find the best value for myself with either a Samsung Galaxy S 3 or a iphone 4S 32GB.

From my table, 3 are the clear winners - for me - as the Total Cost of Ownership is only €984 over 2 years - compared with nearly double that (€1757) for almost the same package on Vodafone. O2 said they have new prices coming in a few weeks, so I'll wait & see what they are before deciding.

Network|€/mo|mins/txts/data|Teth?|TCO 2 yrs|€ SGS3|€ iphone 4S 32GB|Contract
    3|41|300/100/AYCE|No|984|0||24
    3|41|300/100/AYCE|No|1323||339|24
    3|61|450/400/AYCE|No|1753||289|24
    O2|50|400/400/1|?|1289|89||24
    O2|50|400/400/1|?|1409||209|24

O2||new plan July 1|||||
    Meteor|41|400/400/2|Yes|1184|200||18
    Meteor|66|400/200/5|Yes|1633||49|24
    Vodafone|65|500/500/1|?|1560|0||24
    Vodafone|67|350/200/1|?|1757|149||24
    emobile|65|300/300/3|?|1609||49|24
    emobile offer linked below|34.50|Unlimited |Yes|1067|239||18

One thing that I'd be interested to know is about tethering - I'm on Meteor at the moment and tethering is no problem. But I see from the 3 conditions, that they don't allow tethering. I hear it's fine in practise, but I don't want to run into trouble down the road.

Anyone got any contributions or comments? What have I missed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Belle Morte

I've been pondering the same decision as you over the past few days, eventually trying to choose between Three and Emobile.

Check out this thread on a half price offer with Emobile here;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056638431

With that offer (if you can get it) it works out at:

18 month contract @ 34.50 per month = 621

Plus SGS3 Handset @ 239

Total cost: 860

That's a saving of 114 over Three, plus you're only tied to an 18 month contract as opposed 24.

The plan with Emobile is Select Unlimited - Unlimted Calls and Texts plus 15GB of data.

I went with them in the end. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

interesting question about tethering... i guess its because they have a 15gb limit on their phones.. offering tethering would encourage lots of people who use usb hotspots etc to use their phone instead and put pressure on their service.
    it would be interesting to hear what they do to stop it. i know vodafone used to charge huge money when u did it, so its possible they do similar.

I didnt know o2 were changing their prices. i bought the s3 for 419 today (16Gb though) on that 50 euro 6 month contract. 984 over 3 years sounds great, but there has been complaints on galaxy s2 and s3 about roaming on three where it stays roaming on 2g when you return to where you would have reception so you wont have data acess until you manually reselect three network. dunno does iphone have same issue but..inferior (opinion) phone
    i believed no other company besidse vodafone was offering the 32gb galaxy s3... proves me wrong :D either way with an sd slot anyway and 16gb cards for 10 euro its easily rectified. and expandable/changeable etc.. and removeable storage is always handy, though not as quick ofc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Very good information Belle Morte, that's a great offer!

I'm not an eircom customer, but I've been considering it for their fibre broadband, I think it'll be in my area soon.

I'll have to see if it makes sense signing up to them soon (ie don't want to be in an unchangeable contract just as fibre is available) to get that emobile offer, but great find thanks!

A lot to think on. I wonder why some people in that thread couldn't get the offer with their account number, best ask in that thread I suppose.

@kenyard, I seem to have lost a column of data from my table which had the cost of the 32 GB iPhone, it's that compared to a 16GB sgs3 I've been comparing. Will fix that up from a desktop later.

EDIT - table looks fine from a desktop, but on a mobile seems to lose the last two columns. no dramas.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 chelleflife

I think the new O2 deal in July only concerns data roaming. I was told that on 1 July it would only cost 50c per MB when roaming, as opposed to the current €4 charge (approx.)

I think the Choices options you mentioned are fairly new so I don't think they'll change...

Thanks a million Belle Morte, I've signed up for that emobile offer - wow it's great!!

Sticks out a mile from the table as the best offer around at the moment, can't wait to get my new phone!

• Advertisement

Delighted to hear it! I ordered mine online yesterday, so now to play the waiting game til I get my hands on a shiny new SGS3! :D

Did you go for the SGS3 or the iPhone 4S in the end?

Did you get it in store or order online?

I went for the SGS3, I'm pricing up the iphone for wifey. emobile are out of stock of the 32 GB iphone, at least on their phone sales.

Very happy with what I've got coming in the post. It's a white one, the blue was out of stock. Wasn't originally going to go for the white, but sure at that price how could I resist? Doubt the blue will be in stock by the time the emobile offer is over.

Was speaking to a manager at car phone warehouse, he hadn't heard anything about the tethering ban but after speaking with the Three account manager had it confirmed. It probably won't have any effect on people that use tethering rarely.
    The official word from 3 is that as of the 1st jan 2012 they have stopped advertising tethering .

However it may still work for light usage , but as a full time replacement for broadband , access will be slowed down and limited .

If using an iphone the network uses a differnt APN for tethering , so the restiction will kick in.

Tethering add ons are available ,

500 MB , 5.07 Euro
    1 GB ,10.15 Euro
    10 GB , 20.32 Euro

Just got email confirmation that mine has been dispatched! Whooo! :D

In the same boat as yourself, went for the white version as it doesn't look like the pebble blue will be in stock before the offer ends.

Btw, I got confirmation you CAN tether on Emobile, so happy days!

Enjoy your new purchase. :)

As for actual contracts I fail to see why u want the 24 month contract. Being out of contract after 12 or 18 months is best imo. Apparently upc are coming into the mobile market and they will surely shake it up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'm looking at at Meteor for the SGS3 at the moment...

18mth contract @ €25.41 for first 12 months then €30.50.

Meteor|25.41/30.50|200/200/1|Yes|970|299||18

This works for me because it also includes free Meteor to Meteor calls and text for 12 months and that would account for most of my usage. On my current 18mth contract with meteor they extended the free talk/text to 24mths.

It's worth noting that you're comparing 24mth plans to 18mth plans both over 2 years. If you're on an 18mth contract you may be able to switch to a cheaper sim-only plan without any phone subsidy for the last 6 months of that.

For example by switching to the same plan on Sim Only (incl Free Meteor to Meteor) for €20.33/mth on a rolling 1mth contract for the last six months it'd look like this...

Which would give you this;

Meteor|25.41/30.50/20.33|200/200/1|Yes|909|299||18

• Advertisement

Looks like a great solution for what you want J o e. I'm OK with paying a little more per month for the unlimited calls, I'd tend to be a heavy enough user.

As it worked out, I've gotten an 18 month contract with emobile, so will certainly do the same as you and look for the best sim only price after the contract is up.

@kenyard I had to pick a time frame for the analysis and 24 months just worked, given the variety in the options. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah eMobile does look like the best option, would love that 15GB data allowance. I tried once but got rejected by credit control (presumably because of overdue Meteor bill, paid since). Will be trying again near the end of the month when (hopefully) they get the pebble blue back in stock.

edanto wrote: »
    @kenyard I had to pick a time frame for the analysis and 24 months just worked, given the variety in the options. Your mileage may vary.
    It does. Dunno if I'll b in this country more than another year with how taxes etc are gonna go.
    Considering it's working out at only 250 euro cheaper than a 18 or 24 month on three or emobile and meteor good offers too though I cud have probably gone with them and just paid to get out of contract early if all came to all!
    I do wonder how Vodafone and o2 manage to still hold the majority market

It is also worth noting to anyone that shorter contracts often work out cheaper as u can change plan to a sim only one after it expires and it often works out cheaper.
    Lte rights are being sold here probably next year and I can see upc taking them and entering and subsequently dominating the mobile market... 300mbps speed over satellite bring it on!

@ J o e Might be an idea to start a conversation with them about the credit situation sooner rather than later.

I gave up on the pebble blue - the delivery time is 2-3 weeks (at a minimum) and the special offer is over in 2 weeks, and I wanted to get it boxed off in plenty of time.

Courier just texted to say the phone is on it's way, so should be up and running by the weekend I hope!

I hope others find the comparison method useful - personally I was amazed to see the huge variation in price. Vodafone in particular, I've never been a customer of theirs, but damn they're expensive on this comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Folks, some great info on this thread so thanks for that.

I'm pondering the same question myself, however I've 6 months + to run on a current VF contract.

In practical terms, am I stuck paying the remaining 6 months or is there a way I can exit?

afaik you're stuck til the end. I've only heard of people getting out of contracts in exceptional cases where they have atrocious reception and threaten legal action, or else are leaving the country and find a sympathetic sales agent.

No harm in trying through - if you find a way be sure to let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

afaik you're stuck til the end. I've only heard of people getting out of contracts in exceptional cases where they have atrocious reception and threaten legal action, or else are leaving the country and find a sympathetic sales agent.

No harm in trying through - if you find a way be sure to let us know.

Yeah, I was afraid of this.

Looks like I'll hold on for the remainder and upgrade/leave then, or buy the phone sim-free in the meantime

@ J o e Might be an idea to start a conversation with them about the credit situation sooner rather than later.
    They actually will not give a reason when they reject you. If you want a reason you need to write to them - I asked if they will get back to me before the end of the offer - "Probably not".

Then I checked with meteor to see if my account was healthy and found out the previous bill bounced as I'd made another large purchase on the same day. So paid that off and rang to see if that would make a difference... the one checked with credit control and they said it'll take 3 days for the payment to show on their system but she reckoned it sounded like that was the reason alright.

Also had a couple of bills bouce a few months ago due to an over-billing error on their behalf which they later sorted out... really hope that doesn't just show up as a credit problem on their system, will be asking the person placing the order to mention this!

I gave up on the pebble blue - the delivery time is 2-3 weeks (at a minimum) and the special offer is over in 2 weeks, and I wanted to get it boxed off in plenty of time.

Just came back in stock this evening... :)

Do tha!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

How does the Tesco offer stack up?
    The phone is free upfront on an 18 month contract at €55 a month, 1000 mins, 1000 texts and 2GB data.

You tell us dude!

You tell us dude!

I'm looking for your opinion chief.

the first bit is just maths - 24 X the monthly tariff, plus the upfront price of the handset will let you compare it to the offers above. Second part is opinion - but your opinion. What's worth more to you - unlimited calls/tethering/short contract/coverage/termination costs that people face ringing you.

I guess I'm not that interested in doing your calculations for you, I put a bit of work into my own decision, and I'm only just about interested in helping other people with theirs, and then only if they put in most of the work themselves.

No dramas though, if you're not bothered I'm not.

Tesco|55|1000/1000/2|Yes|1320|0||18

(but you could go on cheaper plan for 18mths-24mths)

the first bit is just maths - 24 X the monthly tariff, plus the upfront price of the handset will let you compare it to the offers above. Second part is opinion - but your opinion. What's worth more to you - unlimited calls/tethering/short contract/coverage/termination costs that people face ringing you.

I guess I'm not that interested in doing your calculations for you, I put a bit of work into my own decision, and I'm only just about interested in helping other people with theirs, and then only if they put in most of the work themselves.

No dramas though, if you're not bothered I'm not.

Fair enough, I'll give it a go although I don't know how to do the spread sheet that thing you do.
    And tbh I wasn't being lazy I just wanted your opinion as you seem to have a better grasp of the whole contract phone thing than me.
    Anyway.

An SGS3 on Tesco is free upfront on a 18 month contract including 1000mins,1000 texts and 2GB data with tethering is €55 a month x 18 = €990

So that's €6 more than the cheapest offer from three, but Tesco offer more mins and Texts and limit data to 2GB.

Have I done that right or did I miss anything there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

any more update about upc having a mobile network here

M

54kroc wrote: »
    So that's €6 more than the cheapest offer from three, but Tesco offer more mins and Texts and limit data to 2GB.

Have I done that right or did I miss anything there?

Nope you haven't because you're comparing 18mths of service to 24mths. The table above compares all over 24 months. Since the Tesco contract is up after 18mths you may be able to find a cheaper sim-only months deal for the other 6 months.

I did the table for the Tesco deal above.

J o e wrote: »
    Nope you haven't because you're comparing 18mths of service to 24mths. The table above compares all over 24 months. Since the Tesco contract is up after 18mths you may be able to find a cheaper sim-only months deal for the other 6 months.

I did the table for the Tesco deal above.

Ah right I get you, It's these little things are catching me out.
    Why compare over 24 months if you don't have to? I thought when people mention the total cost of the phone they meant the total cost while your in contract?

• Advertisement

Because some contracts are 24mths. While that means you're paying back the phone for longer it also means you are getting 24 months of mobile service too.

So it's the closest way of doing a like-with-like comparison.

Advertisement